Terror in Tosasth

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Terror in Tosasth

Post by chiisu81 »

Working on an editing pass on r12; currently on page 55. Leon's not gonna like me :shock: :D
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Here's through page 79, I can't type anymore. Leon, if going through these edits gives you a good idea what to look for in page 80+ you can do an editing pass in the entire document, otherwise once you process these I'll start my next editing pass, but this time editing the odt file itself rather than typing up notes.

Editing pass for r12:
Quick way to insert non-breaking space in LO: Ctrl+Shift+Space

Page 2, 4th paragraph: "...by Martin Teasdale..."
Page 4, Obscure Detals: "...as if the characters were searching..."
Page 5, Lah's Retreat: capitalize all instances of "cleric(s)"
Page 7, knife illustration: add .1" bottom spacing
All instances, text proceeded by "►": add a space between the symbol and the text
Page 7, 2. Library: convert table to standard BFRPG table format (namely horizontal-only lines) (unless you and/or Solo are fine with this format for this document, in which case ignore all subsequent notes relating to table format)
Page 7, 2. Library: bold "Scroll of Protection from Undead", "Scroll of Five Magic-User Spells"
Page 7, 2. Library (and elsewhere): not in our Style Guide (yet), but book names/titles should be italicized
Page 8, 4. Bathing Pool, Gelatinous Cube: extra space in paragraph below hitboxes
Page 8, 5. Dining Room: add a space in "100lbs"
Page 9, 6. Chute Room: Turds needs "Sv NM", add commas between his ability scores, lower-case equipment listed
Page 9, 7. Ossuary: Skeleton needs non-breaking space in "Sv F1" so it stays together
Page 10: change "+0 longsword" to "Longsword +0" <- bold in BFRP post
Page 10, 9. Basalt Sarcophagus: move hanging text below illustration
Page 10, Lady Masteline (Wight): needs non-breaking space in "XP 175" so it stays together
Page 10, 10. Collapsed Room: convert table to standard BFRPG table format
Page 10, 10. Collapsed Room: "leather armor +2" needs to be capitalized and bold
Page 11, 12. Granite Sarcophagus: change "they" to "he or she" per the Style Guide
Page 12, 2 Zombies: needs non-breaking space in "Sv F2" so it stays together
Page 12: fix spacing for 2 of the 4 hitboxes
Page 12, Gresp the Cactus Man: needs non-breaking space in "XP 360" so it stays together, move illustration below second text line so they're together
Page 12, 2 Skeletons: change to "#At 1 wooden spoon, Dam 1d6", fix spacing for 1 of the 2 hitboxes
Page 13, Manny, 1st Level Fighter: add commas between ability scores, change "CHR" to "CHA", needs non-breaking spaces in "CHA 15 (+1)" so it stays together
Page 13, 1st Level Dwarf Fighters: needs non-breaking space in "Mv 40'" so it stays together, add commas between ability scores
Page 14, Manny, 1st Level Fighter: add commas between ability scores, change "CHR" to "CHA", needs non-breaking spaces in "CHA 15 (+1)" so it stays together, lower-case equipment listed
Page 14, 10 Giant Rats: needs non-breaking space in "Ml 8" so it stays together
Strange Extrusion: room/area names are in all-caps (whereas the previous section they weren't), most missing colon at end
Page 16, 1. STORAGE ROOM: convert table to standard BFRPG table format, needs non-breaking space for #1 and 2, "Potion of Invulnerability" needs to be bold, extra space in #6
Page 16, 2. GARBAGE-EATING CAVE WORM: XP value doesn't need "ea."
Page 17, 3. COCKATRICE NEST: needs non-breaking spaces in first non-boxed text paragraph for gp values, needs "HPChecksEnd" at end of 2nd hitbox line to add space below it
Page 17: illustration is overlapping bottom of page
Page 17, 4. RUST MONSTER FEASTING: Rust Monster needs non-breaking space in "Mv 40'" so it stays together, correct to "XP 405"
Page 17, 5. CANNIBAL MINOTAUR PRISON: correct to "XP 500 ea."
Page 17, 6. WRAITH TOMB: In second paragraph, spell names need to be lower-case and bold
Page 18: Wraith needs non-breaking spaces in "XP 320 ea." so it stays together, fix spacing for 1 of the 3 hitboxes
Page 18, 7. HELLISH KENNEL: fix spacing for 1 of the 7 hitboxes
Page 19, 21 Zombies: fix spacing for 4 of the 21 hitboxes
Page 19, 9. EXPERIMENTS: "polymorphed" needs to be bold, fix spacing for "(Simba)"
Page 19, 10. WHIPPING WORMS, boxed text: change "7’" to "7-foot" or "seven-foot" (not in Style Guide yet, but in boxed text sections numbers and symbols should be spelled out [unless it's a really large number and/or affects layout negatively]), bold "Wurmslayer" as well as "+1 Shortsword" (the latter needs to be "Shortsword +1" also)
Page 20, 12. GARGOYLES AND STATUES: needs non-breaking space in "Sv F6" so it stays together
Page 20, 14. SHAYDE CALAROOK’S BEDROOM: bold all instances of "polymorphed", "Polymorph Other" needs to be bold and lower-case
Page 21: bold and lower-case: "Read Languages", "Lightning Bolt, Locate Object, Floating Disc, and Polymorph Other", for the scroll words either wrap in quotations or italicize them, change "Ode to Tosasth" to italics rather than underline
Page 23, Wandering Monsters: convert table to standard BFRPG table format
Page 23, 3. Abeb’s Lair: correct to "restored to life if a Cleric removes the curse.", correct to "1,700 cp"
Page 23, 4. Trapped Hallway: "Save" needs to be lower-case
Page 24, 5. Book Collector: needs non-breaking space in "Mv 30'" so it stays together, change "Ode to Tosasth" to italics rather than underline, extra space in second sentence proceeded by "►"
Page 24, 7. Lady Jodalee: change to "Every round, roll 1d6; on a 1,..."
Page 24, 8. Ithusha: "potion of giant strength" and "scroll of protection from lycanthropes" needs to be capitalized and bold
Page 24, 9. Jonamor’s Abode: change to "1-5 on 1d6,..."
Page 25, Jonamor Nelaser (Mummified Magic User 20): needs non-breaking space in "AC 18" and "XP 5,450" so it stays together, add commas in ability scores, change "CHR" to "CHA", equipment names (aside from "Ring of Protection +1" which needs to be bold and a non-breaking space for +1) need to be lower-case, spells need to be lower-case and bold
Page 25, 12 Ebahi’s Lair: capitalize "Cleric" and "Mage", "charmed" needs to be bold
Page 26: needs non-breaking space in "Ml 11" so it stays together, change "Ode to Tosasth" to italics
Page 28, 1. Ebahi’s Coffin: Room heading missing colon, add note for Bats that each hitbox is one bat, vampire needs non-breaking space in "Ml 11" so it stays together
Page 29: correct "+1 spear" to "Spear +1" <- bold on BFRPG post
Page 29, 7 Giant Centipedes: add comma after "Ml 7", remove all but first "HP"
Page 29, 5. Unused Cave: correct "xp" to "XP", needs non-breaking space in "XP 1,390" so it stays together
Page 29, 6. Iron Blobs: "potion of flying" needs to be capitalized and bold
Page 29, 7. Cave Worms: "Giant Caecilia" needs to be lower-case
Page 30, 3 Giant Caecilia: needs non-breaking spaces in "Mv 20' (10')" so it stays together
Page 30, 9. Empty Grave: correct to "..., a wand, and the complete..." (Oxford comma rule), "Hallucinatory Terrain/Ventriloquism/Cure Light Wounds" all need to be lower-case and bold, Cleric and Mage need to be capitalized
Page 30, 11. Hell’s Forge: needs non-breaking spaces in "XP 610 ea." so it stays together
Page 31, 14. Grave: convert tables to standard BFRPG table format
Page 32, 17. Damp Room: correct to "1d6", convert table to standard BFRPG table format
Page 33, 19. Moldy Grain: correct to "XP 100 ea." (w/ non-breaking spaces)
Page 36: possible to rotate & enlarge map image?
Page 37, 2. Troll Pets: extra space in "Giant Caecilia", needs non-breaking spaces in "Mv 20' (10')" so it stays together
Page 37, 3. Troll Ranchers: needs non-breaking space in "Mv 40'" so it stays together
Page 38, 5 Basilisks: needs non-breaking spaces in "XP 610 ea." so it stays together
Page 38, 6. Black Pudding: correct "xp" to "XP", black pudding needs non-breaking space in "XP 1,390" so it stays together
Page 39, 9. Pool of Black Oil: needs non-breaking space in "XP 1,390" so it stays together
Page 39, 10. Echo Chamber: clarify "First attack misses." to "First PC attack misses."
Page 39, A. Edhror: needs non-breaking space in "12,235 gp" so it stays together
Page 39, B. Lionaeli: "scroll of protection from lycanthropes" and "scroll of Magic-User spells" needs to be capitalized and bold
Page 39, C. Aegamras: "scroll of sticks to snakes" and "scroll of protection from magic" needs to be capitalized and bold
Page 39, D. Lurosaer: "scroll of bless", "scroll of protection from undead", and "scroll of Magic-User spells" needs to be capitalized and bold
Page 42, 5. Caped Spectres: needs non-breaking space in "Ml 11" so it stays together
Page 42, 6. Black Carpet: needs non-breaking space in "XP 1,390" so it stays together
Page 42, 7. Caped Spectres: needs non-breaking space in "Ml 11" so it stays together
Page 43, B. Golfingolf: "scroll of protection from lycanthropes" needs to be capitalized and bold
Rest of Page 43: scroll names need to be capitalized and bold
Page 45: add commas to ability scores, correct "CHR" to "CHA"
Page 46, 4. Hiding Displacers: clarify "First attack misses." to "First PC attack misses."
Page 46, 5. Spectres Shouting “No”: needs non-breaking space in "Ml 11" so it stays together
Page 47, 2 Basilisks: needs non-breaking spaces in "XP 610 ea." so it stays together
Page 47, 4 Owlbears: correct to "XP 360 ea."
Page 47, A. Elelmir: "scroll of Magic-User spells" need to be capitalized and bold
Page 48: scroll names need to be capitalized and bold
Page 48, B. Eston: missing period
Page 50: correct "hp" to "HP"
Page 50, 1. Sleeping Zombies: change "...full, 400lbs." to "...full (400 lbs)."
Page 51, 5. Mummies: correct stat-line to "2 Mummies:" and "XP 450 ea."
Page 51, 6. Skeletal Flayers: correct stat-line to "6 Skeletal Flayers:" and "XP 37 ea."
Page 52, 8. Gellybones: correct stat-line to "7 Gellybones:"
9. Ghost Shrooms: correct name to "Ghostcap Bloom" as per Field Guide 2
Page 53, Black Knight: needs non-breaking space in "Mv 30'" so it stays together, change "Cast" to "Casts"
Page 53, A. Ethohin: correct to "5,456 gp"
Rest of Page 53: scroll names need to be capitalized and bold
Page 55, Introduction: "Save vs. Death..." do you mean Death Ray? Need to specify the saving throw category from the Core Rules (see page 152)
1. Lord Hilbore: I don't know what an 8'-diameter boulder should weigh, but no PCs in a 5'-wide opening are moving a 20,000 lb. specimen. If you actually want the PCs to be able to (even at a small chance), I would omit specifying the weight.
Page 55, Lord Hilbore (Black Knight): "Shortsword +1" needs to be bold
Page 56, Bone Golem: needs non-breaking space in "XP 945" so it stays together
Page 56, 3. Gellybones: needs non-breaking space in "Mv 40'" so it stays together
Page 56, 4. Ochre Jelly: needs non-breaking space in "Dam 2d6" so it stays together
Page 57, 4 Giant Fire Toads: needs non-breaking space in "Ml 6" so it stays together
Page 57, Vampire*: correct to "Vampire" (the "*" is not needed as the double-cross symbol after its AC denotes the same thing
Page 57, Giant Bat: Correct to "18 Giant Bats:"
Page 58, 10. Purple Worm: stat-line doesn't need period at the end
Pages 58-59: scroll names need to be capitalized and bold
Page 61, Dacha’s House: "wand of fireballs" needs to be capitalized and bold, "Save vs. Death..." do you mean Death Ray? Need to specify the saving throw category from the Core Rules
Page 61, Rust Monster: needs non-breaking space in "Mv 40'" so it stays together
Page 62, White Dragon: needs non-breaking space in "Mv 30'" so it stays together, "Magic Missile" needs to be lower-case and bold
Page 62, Dacha’s Mine: first paragraph ("This adventure probably requires PCs 6th level and above.") needs to be at the beginning of the section
Page 62, Tommyknocker: needs non-breaking space in "XP 75" so it stays together, stat-line doesn't need period at the end
Page 62, Giant Centipedes: correct to "3 Giant Centipedes", needs non-breaking spaces in "XP 13 ea." so it stays together, reduce "Bites from these giant centipedes reduce CON by 1 point." to "Bites reduce CON by 1 point."
Page 62, Chain Devil: needs non-breaking space in "XP 1,075" so it stays together, stat-line doesn't need period at the end
Page 63, Minotaur: needs non-breaking space in "Ml 11" so it stays together, correct to "XP 500 ea."
Page 63, Poison gas: "Save vs. Death..." do you mean Death Ray? Need to specify the saving throw category from the Core Rules
Page 63, 10 Demonic Stirges: needs non-breaking space in "Fly 60'" so it stays together
Page 63, #4: correct to "Thief", correct to "Werewolf" ("*" not needed), needs non-breaking space in "XP 280" so it stays together
Page 63, #5: "...save vs. Death..." do you mean Death Ray? Need to specify the saving throw category from the Core Rules
Page 63, #6: "Save vs. Death..." do you mean Death Ray? Need to specify the saving throw category from the Core Rules
Page 63, 1. Iron Door: In boxed text, correct to "Clerics"
Page 64: convert tables to standard BFRPG table format
Page 64, 2. Priest’s Room: correct to "cemetery"
Page 64, Illusionary 5th Level Dwarf Fighter: add commas to ability scores, correct "CHR" to "CHA", bold all equipment except for "Battle Axe" which needs to be lower-case
Page 64, Books: change titles from underline to italics
Page 65, Books: change titles from underline to italics
Page 65, Potions: "Polymorphed" needs to be bold
Page 66, 15. Kitchen: "Save vs. Death..." do you mean Death Ray? Need to specify the saving throw category from the Core Rules
Page 66, 16. Gallery: In boxed text delete extra space, Demonic Hangman Tree stat-line doesn't need period at end
Page 66, 17. Pit Trap: "Save vs. Death..." do you mean Death Ray? Need to specify the saving throw category from the Core Rules
Page 67: correct "35lbs" to 35 lbs.", "1000lbs." to "1,000 lbs.", ability score abbreviations in all-caps, Ego?, "Locate Object" needs to be "Locate object" [make bold in BFRPG post], change "GP" to "gp", "Ring of Fire Resistance" needs to be bold
Page 67, 20. Latrine: Is it supposed to be "10'x10'x10'"?
Page 67, 21. Moaning: correct "dwaven" to "Dwarven"
Page 68, 25. Monster Summoning: Correct to "Thief", hitboxes don't have consistent spacing
Page 68, Owlbear: needs non-breaking space in "Ml 9" so it stays together, move 1 block of hitboxes down
Page 68, Hellhound: needs non-breaking space in "XP 800" so it stays together
Page 68, Weretiger: needs non-breaking space in "Sv F5" so it stays together
Page 68, 26. Tommyknockers: "Tommyknockers" doesn't need to be capitalized in the sentence, needs non-breaking space in "Dam 1d4" so it stays together
Page 68, Crypt: Change "D6" to "1d6"
Page 69, Body: Brown Mold stat-line doesn't need period, correct to "within"
Page 69, Brown Lung Disease: correct "d4" to "1d4"
Page 71, Floor collapses!: "Save vs. Death..." do you mean Death Ray? Need to specify the saving throw category from the Core Rules
Page 71, Bugbear Leader: needs non-breaking space in "XP 240" so it stays together
Page 71, Hobgoblin Warrior: correct to "XP 145 ea."
Page 71, Hobgoblin Witch: spell names need to be lower-case and bold
Page 71, Goblin: needs non-breaking space in "Dam 1d6" so it stays together, correct to "XP 10 ea."
Page 72: almost all stat-lines need to be corrected to "XP xxx ea."
Page 72, Goblin Slave: needs non-breaking space in "Dam 1d2" so it stays together
Page 72, 2d6 Giant Insects: needs non-breaking space in "XP 13" so it stays together
Page 73, Deep One Priest: spell names need to be lower-case and bold
Page 73, Ghouls!: needs non-breaking space in "Sv F2" so it stays together, correct to "Elves", change "Death" to "Death Ray"
Page 73, Purple Worm: needs non-breaking space in "XP 1,670" so it stays together, change "Death" to "Death Ray"
Page 74, left illustration: add .1" bottom spacing
Page 75, Introduction: correct "an northwesterly" to "a northwesterly"
Page 75, Moving Around Tosasth: change "casting 6d6" to "rolling 6d6"
Page 77, Wandering Monsters (d100): monster names should be lower-case, correct "ghost shroom" to "ghostcap bloom"
Page 77, Corpse Abomination: needs non-breaking space in "XP 2,075" so it stays together
Page 77, Gellybone: needs non-breaking space in "Mv 40'" so it stays together
Page 78, Ghast: needs non-breaking space in "Ml 9" so it stays together
Page 78, Ghost Shroom: correct to "Ghostcap Bloom", "turned" needs to be capitalized
Page 78, Ghoul: correct to "12 Ghouls:", correct to "XP 100 ea."
Page 78, 4 Mummies: needs non-breaking spaces in "XP 450 ea." so it stays together
Page 79, Skeletal Flayer: correct to "10 Skeletal Flayers:"

Solo, at your convenience can you review the points mentioning the Style Guide and if you agree with those and if I should include them in the next release
leon

Post by leon »

chiisu81 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:01 pm Working on an editing pass on r12; currently on page 55. Leon's not gonna like me :shock: :D
No way! I love bugs! It means we're moving forward and getting better.
chiisu81 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:37 pm Here's through page 79, I can't type anymore. Leon, if going through these edits gives you a good idea what to look for in page 80+ you can do an editing pass in the entire document, otherwise once you process these I'll start my next editing pass, but this time editing the odt file itself rather than typing up notes.
I'm sorry for the extra pain of writing out errors rather than marking up the existing doc. The doc is running up against the max size for attachments. You could email new releases going forward, but first let me put release 13 together based on your feedback. I'll do my best to apply the general issues to the rest of the text.

Thanks!
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
leon

Post by leon »

I made it through the list, but I still need to go from page 80 onward to look for a some of the recurrent issues. Meanwhile, I have a few questions and responses.
Page 7, 2. Library: convert table to standard BFRPG table format (namely horizontal-only lines) (unless you and/or Solo are fine with this format for this document, in which case ignore all subsequent notes relating to table format)
I guess I need clarification on this one. I don't see any lines at all. That content is using the WanderingMonsterBody/End styles in the way I thought we discussed in the Style Guide topic. Whatever the standard style is, I'm fine following.
Page 11, 12. Granite Sarcophagus: change "they" to "he or she" per the Style Guide
I can't find what you're talking about. The first "they" is about the rot grubs. The second "they" is about the two sarcophagi.
I'm not sure I follow what this comment means. You made a few comments about this, but I'm not seeing a problem.
I don't see this one. Illustrations are somewhat fluid, though. As the text expands, I've been shifting them around. Only about half of them are relevant to the text nearby. The rest are just filling blanks. I realize now I did this far too soon. We'll fix it when the text stablizes.
I know, it sucks that this little map is on a page all by itself. I have purposely scaled all maps with square grids to the exact same size per square so they are comparable visually. I think the room numbers are smaller than those in the cave maps, and that tricks the eye. I might have to go back and touch the cave maps to use smaller room numbers.
This a new monster that's a mushroom variant of the ghostcap bloom. It's covered in the new monsters section. Should I add a forward reference?
1. Lord Hilbore: I don't know what an 8'-diameter boulder should weigh, but no PCs in a 5'-wide opening are moving a 20,000 lb. specimen. If you actually want the PCs to be able to (even at a small chance), I would omit specifying the weight.
20,000 is probably half of what it should weigh if it's a perfect sphere of granite. I figure two PCs could squeeze into a 5' wide space, but a third wouldn't. I can think of one way for more PCs to combine their strength, and at least one way to solve it with magic. Are you worried that stating the weight here will cause players to argue with the GM?
Page 62, Giant Centipedes: correct to "3 Giant Centipedes",
My intent here was there to be 3 groups of 8, but I was too terse. I've revised the HP boxes so that it's just one set of eight.
Page 79, Skeletal Flayer: correct to "10 Skeletal Flayers:
The exact number is determined by the table before the list of monsters. I have put enough checkboxes to cover the max. It think it will be confusing here to repeat the random quantity or to state the max. This issue comes up in several places, and it came up in Estates of the Eliari. I guess I'm stretching the random table idea past conventional style.

I don't think we have any rules for intelligent items, even in a supplement. I do have house rules. Should I leave it vague as to what it means for an intelligent bag to dominate the owner, or should I include my rules?

I put non-breaking spaces after the ► because otherwise Libre Office does weird spacing due to the full justification.

Aside from the issues you've brought up, I know I need to do a pass at making sure every sentence has two spaces after it. That is a very hard style to after so many years, but I know I can fix it with a search-replace.

I'll should have release 13 up by end-of-day Friday pacific time.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I guess I need clarification on this one. I don't see any lines at all. That content is using the WanderingMonsterBody/End styles in the way I thought we discussed in the Style Guide topic. Whatever the standard style is, I'm fine following.
Standard lists/tables don't use the WanderingMonsterBody/End styles, but rather just a standard list/table. I've attached an example table that I would use for this specific text (created within a blank adventure template, if you like it you should be able to copy/paste; I've also attached a screenshot of the table properties for the horizontal-line style we use for our tables.
I can't find what you're talking about. The first "they" is about the rot grubs. The second "they" is about the two sarcophagi.
I should have specified: "1d10 rot grubs crawling up their legs" to "1d10 rot grubs crawling up his or her legs"; also need to correct "Anyone standing the ooze" to "Anyone standing in the ooze"
I'm not sure I follow what this comment means. You made a few comments about this, but I'm not seeing a problem.
Must just be on my system, it's tabbed over on that line; ultimately as long as it look fine on yours and Solo's systems when the PDF is generated.
I don't see this one. Illustrations are somewhat fluid, though. As the text expands, I've been shifting them around. Only about half of them are relevant to the text nearby. The rest are just filling blanks. I realize now I did this far too soon. We'll fix it when the text stablizes.
Very strange, today it's at the top-left of page 38.
I know, it sucks that this little map is on a page all by itself. I have purposely scaled all maps with square grids to the exact same size per square so they are comparable visually. I think the room numbers are smaller than those in the cave maps, and that tricks the eye. I might have to go back and touch the cave maps to use smaller room numbers.
Try the attached; I set it to 300dpi, then bumped up the size a bit. If you plan on re-doing the room numbers, always make sure to set to 300dpi and set the image size before adding text/numbers.
This a new monster that's a mushroom variant of the ghostcap bloom. It's covered in the new monsters section. Should I add a forward reference?
Ahhh; yes the first time it comes up, you'll need a "See New Monsters at the end of the adventure/document" or such
20,000 is probably half of what it should weigh if it's a perfect sphere of granite. I figure two PCs could squeeze into a 5' wide space, but a third wouldn't. I can think of one way for more PCs to combine their strength, and at least one way to solve it with magic. Are you worried that stating the weight here will cause players to argue with the GM?
A perfect sphere resting on a very hard surface (ie not sunk down at all) mayyyybe could be leveraged. An actual rock boulder/formation with any flat portions, on any surface that allows it to sink down at all, is not budging at all. I would reduce the size of the boulder, just as long as large enough to block the doorway, etc. I wouldn't mention a weight, the GM can hand-wave that if needed.
Page 62, Giant Centipedes: correct to "3 Giant Centipedes",
My intent here was there to be 3 groups of 8, but I was too terse. I've revised the HP boxes so that it's just one set of eight.
Ok that makes sense; if you want to keep it that way, I'd recommend a note similar to rats and such like "Note: each set represents one creature"
Page 79, Skeletal Flayer: correct to "10 Skeletal Flayers:
The exact number is determined by the table before the list of monsters. I have put enough checkboxes to cover the max. It think it will be confusing here to repeat the random quantity or to state the max. This issue comes up in several places, and it came up in Estates of the Eliari. I guess I'm stretching the random table idea past conventional style.
Yeah I can see that, I think how you have it is the best way (at least as far as I can think of)
I don't think we have any rules for intelligent items, even in a supplement. I do have house rules. Should I leave it vague as to what it means for an intelligent bag to dominate the owner, or should I include my rules?
Only thing I can think of off-hand is on the Downloads page for sentient weapons. I think I would keep it vague and let each DM interpret/run it the way they see fit.
I put non-breaking spaces after the ► because otherwise LibreOffice does weird spacing due to the full justification.
Yes, the non-breaking space does seem to act better. The other possible alternative is rather than manually typing each of those symbols is to use unordered lists with one the built-in images, and then you can control/edit the spacing, etc.
Aside from the issues you've brought up, I know I need to do a pass at making sure every sentence has two spaces after it. That is a very hard style to after so many years, but I know I can fix it with a search-replace.
This is hard for me to remember too, as almost everything else I write is only a single space. You could possibly do a search/replace using ". "/". ", but I can't promise it might change/break things both obvious and not-so-obvious...
Attachments
Page36map.png
Page36map.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 717 times
TablePropertiesBorders.PNG
TablePropertiesBorders.PNG (52.74 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Example.odt
(31.9 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
leon

Post by leon »

I follow you now about the lookup tables that are not actually for wandering monsters. This is similar to the table of results of the confusion spell in the core rules. Following that example, I'd put headings over the columns. I see I can highlight the text and convert it to a table, but the text styles must be updated. Before I go through and update all of these tables, let's see what Solo says.

I ended up adding a "See Unusual Monsters." line after every monster listed at the end, not just the first instance, with the idea that people might use only parts of the text and not see the first instance.

I have gone over the rest of the text to fix case and bolding for spells. Hopefully you won't need to say "fix everything on this page" again. ;)

I have fixed the two-spaces-after-period issue using the info here: https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/double-sp ... iod/8781/9. Maybe worth summarizing in the style guide for future reference.

It would be pretty cool if instead of the ► mark, we had an eyeball or looking glass. I like the leading symbol in a paragraph over a bulleted list because of the higher text density. Definitely something to think about changing later.

Regarding the excursion map, I have originals of all the maps in much higher resolution. The full sized one is about 4600 pixels wide. That's a map out of mipui that I scale down so that 5' squares are about 16 px. What I did was to look at other BFRPG modules to see how big the squares were printed. I found them to be about 6 squares/inch. However, at that size, the tomb maps won't fit on a page. I compromised by making everything 8 squares/inch. When you look at any two maps side by side, you can see the relative size.

The maps out of mipui use a smaller font than what I used in the cavern maps, which are built up in GIMP layers. I used a bigger font, on those. I think it produces a visual effect that makes the squares seem smaller. Here's a screenshot to illustrate.
Screenshot from 2022-12-08 17-10-28 (copy).png
Screenshot from 2022-12-08 17-10-28 (copy).png (109.54 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Both of those red dots are 15px.

An easy thing to do is go back over the cavern maps and drop the font size down to match the mipui maps. Another easy thing would be to stop worrying about making the maps consistently sized. A hard thing would be to retouch the mipui maps. Those are generated by text files, so if I have to change something like adding a secret door, I'd have to retouch the images again. Something hard but maybe fun would be adding more illustrations so that the map pages aren't so empty.

Right now, I am OK with how they look but could end up doing the first easy thing. Definitely open to discussing it more, though.

Release 13 is up on the top post. When you make a release 14, you can email it to leon at leonatkinson.com or share it any other way that works.

Thanks for your continuing help!

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Table text should be set in Table Content format; I think that style is correct in our templates. If not I'll fix it in production. The tables themselves should be formatted as Chi says.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Starting work on r14
leon

Post by leon »

The top post now has release 14.

Thanks to Chi for all the edits. I looked at all table styling. I tweaked a few of them to turn off "Allow row to break across pages and columns".

I see that the table of results for the bodies in the crypts in Dacha's Mine (pg 69) wasn't converted to a table. I bumped into this issue while experimenting on Eliari. This table isn't about wandering monsters, but it has monster blocks. Tabbing doesn't work inside table cells. It's not obvious how to make the checkboxes work. Does it look OK as it is, or do we need to figure out a solution?

I noticed a bug in my adding double spaces after sentences. It added them in map key headings. Those are fixed.

I also noticed that the list of proofreaders went alphabetical. Previously, Solo said the convention is to list people in order of contribution.

I see that some subheadings were demoted to bold Century Gothic. They might need to be made into a new style (sub-subheading?) so that they can pick up the property of not being orphaned from the text or table that follows. There was one case of this that I worked around by moving an image.

Thanks!

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

leon wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:59 pm The top post now has release 14.

Thanks to Chi for all the edits. I looked at all table styling. I tweaked a few of them to turn off "Allow row to break across pages and columns".
Yeah, that should pretty much always be turned off.
leon wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:59 pm I see that the table of results for the bodies in the crypts in Dacha's Mine (pg 69) wasn't converted to a table. I bumped into this issue while experimenting on Eliari. This table isn't about wandering monsters, but it has monster blocks. Tabbing doesn't work inside table cells. It's not obvious how to make the checkboxes work. Does it look OK as it is, or do we need to figure out a solution?
Okay, I'm confused by this. Is the GM supposed to roll for these? If so, there should be text explaining the procedure. Assuming that is the case, these paragraphs should probably be set as WMBody/WMEnd types since some at least need monster stats and checkboxes formatted. Similarly, there is no written procedure for using the Contents table, and I think I'd probably set them not as a table but as numbered paragraphs for consistency with the preceding section. Also, multiple treasure type letters should be separated by commas (but this is a very minor quibble).
leon wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:59 pm I also noticed that the list of proofreaders went alphabetical. Previously, Solo said the convention is to list people in order of contribution.
This is correct, with the added caveat that I always list myself last (if I'm listed at all).
leon wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:59 pmI see that some subheadings were demoted to bold Century Gothic. They might need to be made into a new style (sub-subheading?) so that they can pick up the property of not being orphaned from the text or table that follows. There was one case of this that I worked around by moving an image.
SubHeading formatting should normally not be changed. If these are properly "sub-SubHeadings" we may need to look at how the document is being structured, as it should not normally be necessary to have that many levels in an adventure.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org