Barrow of Igvol

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Elf_Bait

Re: Barrow of Igvol

Post by Elf_Bait »

Here is another iteration of the barrow map
Attachments
Barrow of Igvol Map.png
Barrow of Igvol Map.png (899.85 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

Very nice! Simple but easily grabbed and tossed into a VTT or printed for the table. And going by descriptions the grid is at 10' squares as per normal...
Elf_Bait

Post by Elf_Bait »

That is correct - 10ft squares.

Dungeondraft, set to the proper monochromatic shading can be pretty good. It does suffer in the doors and windows areas as, while I can get the walls to darken, I cannot do that for the door frames.

On a future maps (maybe on a later pass on this one) I might pull it into an art program (I am not an artist) and try some simple shapes and line to put in more visible doors.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Elf_Bait wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:26 pm Here is another iteration of the barrow map
I like this iteration 8-)
We usually use GIMP or paint.net for any needed image edits; if you'd like to try it out, or one of us can work on it. A simple rectangle would be the easiest (w/ matching the color of the walls), but I'd possibly use a brush stroke of some pattern at least on the sides to make it blend in better or such.
Elf_Bait

Post by Elf_Bait »

I have GIMP I could dust off but it's been a while.
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

I tend to use Paint.net...liked GIMP but found Paint.net is easier and "good enough" for my needs.
Elf_Bait

Post by Elf_Bait »

Well, I tried to edit the doors in my art programs and ended up having issues, so by all means folks, go for it.
Elf_Bait

Post by Elf_Bait »

I'm curious what else might need to be done to finish out this adventure. As this is my first submission to the group, I welcome any feedback or assistance (especially with fixing the doors on the map).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I should warn you, development here does run in fits and spurts. We're a volunteer group, after all.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
leon

Post by leon »

Here's some fitting and spurting.

The map would benefit from location labels. C1 and C2 in the text are really one room and can be combined. I sketched out the map in Mipui and attached the source. I like how the main room has a narrow ledge around a pool of water. I would make the skeletons grapple the PCs and push them into the water. Your map shows nooks, but they are only mentioned later in the text about the skeletons returning to them. I didn't include them in my version.

There's something about the description of the Teetering Vault that makes me wonder if my players wouldn't hammer me with detailed questions I'd have to improv. It might be that the poles are described as "leaning". Perhaps the log poles brace against the stone slab door to hold up the loosely stacked stones.

"Each turn after the skeletons have been triggered, a ragged zombie will slosh up the stairs". Every 10 minutes? I bet you meant each round. Is there only one zombie or many? I might build this as "every round there's 1 in 6 chance that one of the 20 zombies in pool climbs the stairs to enter melee."

I wonder how much of a bother the Otyugh turns out to be. It comes out of the water near the coffin. There isn't much standing room around it, so probably most of the PCs are up on the ledge while the thief is looting. The Otyugh pops up and maybe gets a round of surprise, but it only moves 20', so the PCs just run away.

The trough and the offering of blood is cool, but freezing the water doesn't seem to be any kind of reward if the Otyugh breaks through it. Maybe making the bigger sacrifice and freezing the water should give the perk of slowing the Otyugh's appearance, e.g. a round or two of ice cracking before it appears.

The text would benefit from another editing pass for putting the right information early enough. When you have the whole thing in your head, it's easy to leave out a few details. This happens to me, too.

If you make a revision 3, I'll go over the text again and give you more notes.
Attachments
igvol-600.jpg
igvol-600.jpg (116.78 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
igvol-mipui.txt
(63.25 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com