Monster Combat Worksheet

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Pholus

Monster Combat Worksheet

Post by Pholus »

It's been a while, but I thought I'd share a side project and see if I can get it tweaked up by advice.

I like converting adventures to play. It does mean I need to do monster listings. I decided to make a worksheet that I can fill in by hand while converting. By converting the monsters in order and adding a reference note to remember what page or room I've converted I can make a booklet of the monsters to go in my converted module.

So I've attached my worksheet after a couple minor tweaks. I can fit six monsters per page. I also put 100 HP of checkboxes with each monster. By circling, you can represent multiple monsters in the entry.

Please find attached my form, a pdf of the form and a sample of how I filled it out for the first adventure (Caer Mortling) in CS1, Castle by the Sea.

The one thing I've learned from this exercise (and not just from my sample sheet) is that a lot of module authors ignore abilities/side rules in their statblocks which would make running the monster a lot more interesting. There is a need for notes and in general as a GM I need to be a LOT more careful to research monster selections in advance rather than just trusting the statblock at the table on the fly...

Improvements I probably need to make: XP, going with only five (or even four) monsters per page to INCREASE space for available notes.

Anyway, I did this to scratch an itch. If you find it useful, great, and if you can help me make it better even better!
Attachments
sample.pdf
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 129 times
creature_log.pdf
(18.65 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
creature_log.odt
(23.98 KiB) Downloaded 106 times