Estates of the Eliari

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
leon

Estates of the Eliari

Post by leon »

Long ago, merchants from a faraway land made their fortune trading exotic goods for the raw commodities from the local farmers and miners. Unusual in manner and reluctant to adopt local customs, they never-the-less settled locally in small estates, each built in identical style according to their peculiar aesthetics. The merchants were called the Eliari, and they lived well for many decades until some catastrophe called them home. For decades after, the estates rotted in place. The locals feared disturbing the homes of the strange merchants, but eventually a few brave souls entered the gates to explore inside, perhaps hoping for some loot left behind.

Today, many of the old estates are forgotten, tucked away in overgrown forests. Only the bold venture into those that are known because of the stories about bandits and ghosts.
This is an experiment I did to satisfy my curiosity. The idea is one map with random tables for every area. I originally saw this idea in a supplement from 1980. Compare it to the multimodule format of CS1 which comes with several internally logical adventures sharing a map. Then compare it to generating rooms with the Dungeon Room Generator. This idea is somewhere in between. The area descriptions are specific to the location on the map, and there is top-level decision that set the theme of the house as either undead or bandits. But there's work in generating each area and probably a bit of smoothing out rough edges.

I haven't tested this. I don't know if it will be practical to run through all the tables by hand, but I have a framework to convert it into an automated generator. I don't know if players would get bored finding multiple estates with the same layout and different monsters. I hope they will like the idea of knowing the layout and making plans.

I have several other thoughts about how I think it turned out, but I'm mostly interested to know if anyone thinks it's worth developing further.
Attachments
Estates-of-the-Eliari-r14.pdf
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
Estates-of-the-Eliari-r14.odt
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by leon on Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
KahunaKen

Re: Estates of the Eliari

Post by KahunaKen »

I like this alot. Reminds me of gaming sessions from the late 1970s to early 80s while I was in the Navy. Thanks for sharing.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Chi and Seven, I'm going to do an initial editing pass on this one. Almost done with the undead section. I may up load my version 2 when I finish that and then let Leon do some changes or replies to the edits. I'll start into the bandit section but may not explain all my edits since I did most of the explanations in the undead section.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Leon, here is what I did and some suggestions that you may want to review.

Estates of the Eliari Corrections and Comments

Page 1 – Credits
Added Proofreader and my name to the list of Credits

All monster entries.
All monsters will need HP for maximum number of creatures for each type (i.e. 36 sets for the stirges or 3 sets for the giant spiders).

All monster entries with ‘special’ or ‘as weapon’ damage need to have the special attack or weapon described.

All multiple monsters put ‘ea.’ after the XP entry. Single monsters don’t need this. This is standard editing for Basic Fantasy.

Page 3 – Outside the Walls
Could there be some additional entries possibly including Wood Palisade walls; a combination of stone and wood (stone walls to a specific height and a wooden palisade on top of the walls; Wattle and Daub walls, or Bocage (trees and hedge) all in good condition and in a state of disrepair.

Page 4 – 2. Carriage House - #2 entry.
Remove repeated word ‘a’.
Currently: A good portion of the stone shingles atop this 20'x20' carriage house have tumbled and shattered, allowing damaging rain pour over a a small carriage found beyond two doors.
Changed to: A good portion of the stone shingles atop this 20'x20' carriage house have tumbled and shattered, allowing damaging rain pour over a small carriage found beyond two doors.

Page 4 – Stirges – Stat Block
The “Ml 9” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line. This is standard editing for Basic Fantasy. The non-breaking space can be found by highlighting the space that breaks across the lines and then in LibreOffice click on the Insert Menu > Formatting Mark > Insert non-breaking space (First item in the list) if you have View Formatting Marks on the space appears as a gray box. I use View Formatting to see the spaces or tabs used can also pin point if there are double spaces after sentences or if there is an accidental double space in the middle of a sentence. You may want to try it and look at the leading spaces or tabs in your document to see the difference.

Page 4 – Gray Ooze – Stat Block
The “Mv 1’” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 4 – Gray Ooze – Stat Block
The “Dam 1d6 + energy drain (1 level)” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 5 – 3. Hut - #3-4 entry
Remove repeated word ‘the’.
Currently: Leaves and dirt litter the the floor of the 10'x10' hut.
Changed to: Leaves and dirt litter the floor of the 10'x10' hut.

Page 5 – Plaque Hounds – Stat Block
Currently: Sv 54
Change to: Sv 4

Page 5 – Plaque Hounds – Stat Block
The “Sv 4” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 5 – Giant Python – Stat block
The “XP 405” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 5 – Undead Minotaur – paragraph
Misspelled
Currently: weilding
Change to: wielding

Page 5 – Giant Hawk – paragraph
Punctuation
Currently: A giant hawk built a nest here and sits on 1d6 eggs worth 2,000gp each.
Change to: A giant hawk built a nest here and sits on 1d6 eggs, worth 2,000gp each.

Page 5 – Giant Hawk – Stat block
The “Mv Fly 150' (10')” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 6 – Zombie Cow – paragraph
Paragraph has multiple ‘cows’ only one is shown in the stat block. Also change ‘their’ to ‘its’ and ‘stalls’ to ‘stall’.
Currently: Zombie cows struggle to escape from their stalls at the site of living flesh.
Change to: A Zombie cow struggle to escape from its stall at the site of living flesh.

Page 6 – Giant Shrew – Stat block
The “Dam 1d6/1d6” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 6 – 6. Garden - #4 entry
Spelling
Currently: crossways
Change to: cross-ways

Page 6 – Vampire – Stat block
Removed “L” from the monster name. The “Ml 11” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 6 – House – Paragraph one
Correct page numbers
Currently: … 1-2 Undead Infestation (page 5) or 3-4 Bandit Hideout (page 8).
Changed to: … 1-2 Undead Infestation (page 7) or 3-4 Bandit Hideout (page 15).

Page 8 – 10. Parlor and Hallway – Paragraph one
Remove repeated word ‘the’. Replaced with ‘to’
Currently: A stairway on the north wall leads up the the second story.
Changed to: A stairway on the north wall leads up to the second story.

Page 8 – Giant Rat – Stat block
The “Dam 1d4 + 5% chance of disease” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 8 – Ghouls – Stat block
The “Dam 1d4/1d4/1d4” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.
The “Sv F2” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 8 – Stairs to the Basement - #2
Remove extra space between ‘a’ and ‘simple’
Currently: The door is locked with a simple mechanism…
Changed to: The door is locked with a simple mechanism…

Page 8 – 11. Sun Room
There is a paragraph here that says “Generate a challenge and a feature for this area.” Are you asking the DM to do this or is it a note to yourself that was missed? If the DM is supposed to do this you may want to change the sentence above to, “Use the following tables to generate a challenge and a feature for this area.”

Page 8 – Yellow Mold – Stat Block
The “#At Special” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line. May want to note what ‘Special’ means.
The “Ml N/A” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 8 – Ghouls – Stat Block
The “Dam 1d4/1d4/1d4” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.
The “Sv F2” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 9 – 12. Dining Room – Paragraph one.
There is a paragraph here that says “Generate a challenge for this area.” Are you asking the DM to do this or is it a note to yourself that was missed? If the DM is supposed to do this you may want to change the sentence above to, “Use the following table to generate a challenge for this area.”

Page 9 – Necrotic Oozes – Stat block
The “Dam 1d6 slam” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 9 – Dining Room Challenge – Paragraph 2
Giant Spiders are mentioned but no stat blocks or HP are given.

Page 9 – 14. Service Pantry – Paragraph one
There is a paragraph here that says “Generate a challenge for this area.” Are you asking the DM to do this or is it a note to yourself that was missed? If the DM is supposed to do this you may want to change the sentence above to, “Use the following table to generate a challenge for this area.”

Page 10 – Necrotic Oozes – Stat block
The “Dam 1d6 slam” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 10 – Heucova – Stat block
The “Mv 40'” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 10 – 15. Food Pantry – Paragraph one

Page 10 – Yellow Mold – Stat Block
The “#At Special” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line. May want to note what ‘Special’ means.
The “Ml N/A” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 10 – Ochre Jelly – Stat Block
The “Mv 10'” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 10 – Human Fighter – Stat block
The “Mv 30'” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.
Are the Character Abilities the same for all possible Fighters?

Page 10 – Ochre Jelly – Stat Block
The “Mv 10'” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 10 – 18. Scholar’s Bedroom – Paragraph one
There is a paragraph here that says “Generate a challenge and treasure for this area.” Are you asking the DM to do this or is it a note to yourself that was missed? If the DM is supposed to do this you may want to change the sentence above to, “Use the following tables to generate a challenge and a treasure for this area.”

Page 11 – Spectre – Stat Block
The “Dam Energy drain 2 levels/touch” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 11 – Mummy – Paragraph one
Missing word ‘a’. What is the warning?
Currently: It wheezes out desperate warning.
Change to: It wheezes out a desperate warning.

Page 11 – Mummy – Stat Block
The “Ml 12” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 11 – Scholar’s Bedroom Treasure - #3
Either the sentence is unfinished or needs to be cut off.
Currently: One is an Elven Cloak hangs
Change to: One is an Elven Cloak.

Page 11 – Lady’s Bedroom – Paragraph two. And after the Extra Detail Table.
The paragraph here says “Generate one extra detail.” After the Extra Detail Table comes the “Generate a challenge and treasure for this area” sentence. If the DM is supposed to do this you may want to change the sentences above to, “Use the following tables to generate an extra detail, a challenge and a treasure for this area.”

Page 11 – Crypt Dweller – Stat Block
The “Mv 60’” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.
The #Ap (Number Appearing) isn’t usually included in the Stat block, Put it in the description paragraph. Including ‘ea.’ on the XP stat if there is a chance of multiple monsters.

Page 11 – Heucova – Stat block
The “Mv 40'” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 12 – Lord’s Bedroom Extra Detail - #1
Currently: oversized
Change to: over-sized

Page 12 – Lord’s Bedroom Extra Detail - #4
Currently: A slash cuts across the portrait in oil of a maiden beside a brook.
Changed to: A slash cuts across the portrait, in oil, of a maiden beside a brook.

Page 12 – Draugr – Stat block
The “Dam 1d10+3” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line. May also want to include description of the cone of ice (ie 10’ before the monster) and what it does.

Page 12 – Bone Horror – Stat block
The #Ap (Number Appearing) isn’t usually included in the Stat block.

Page 12 – Rot Grubs – Stat block
The “Dam special” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line. May want to note what ‘Special’ means.

Page 12 – Lord’s Bedroom Treasure - #1
Missing word ‘a’.
Currently: The animal skin on the bed is well-preserved lion’s pelt worth 1,500 gp.
Change to: The animal skin on the bed is a well-preserved lion’s pelt worth 1,500 gp.

Page 12 – Lord’s Bedroom Treasure - #2
What is the command word?

Page 12 – Lord’s Bedroom Treasure - #4
May want to make a ‘New Magical Weapon’ section and include a description of the ‘Midas Sling’.

Page 13 – Blade Spirit – Stat Block
The “XP 1075” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 13 – Draugr – Stat block (both)
The “Dam 1d10+3” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line. May also want to include description of the cone of ice (ie 10’ before the monster) and what it does.

Page 13 – Barghest – Stat block
The “XP 555 ea.” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 13 – Banshee – Stat block
The “Dam Special” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line. May want to note what ‘Special’ means.

Page 13 – Mohrg – Stat Block
The “Sv F14” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 13 – Zombie – Stat Block
The “Dam 1d8” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 14 – Master Bath - #1-3
‘A’ vs ‘an’
Currently: A small seat with a open hole covers a pipe that extends all the way to the basement.
Change to: A small seat with an open hole covers a pipe that extends all the way to the basement.

Page 14 and Map – Area 25
There isn’t a basement on the map, the River’s Edge is listed as area 25. Both the Basement and the River’s Edge are listed as Area 25.

Page 14 – Wraith – Stat Blocks
XP are not listed.
XP 320 ea. added.

Page 14 – Giant Shrew – Stat block
The “Dam 1d6/1d6” was broken across lines added a non-breaking space to bring to the same line.

Page 14 – Bandit Hideout
Suggest putting a Page Break in before the Bandit Hideout so the bandit section is separated from the Undead section.

Whole book – Rooms that mention books
May want to note in the rooms that contain books that the book tables start on page 23 (Actually suggest making the Book tables into its own section starting on a fresh page.

May want to make the River and River Edge section start on a fresh page too.

You may also want to look at the Style Guide for the use of Caps and Bolding in magic item names and spell names. I didn't do that check on this go over, but, it would be something to keep an eye on.

Over all gives a bunch of different adventures to the one map. Kind of like Solo's contests for 'Castle by the Sea' and 'The Dark Temple'. You've got a very good start on a potentially great generator.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Posted the Release 2 of the ODT in the first message of this thread. I didn't convert it to PDF.
leon

Post by leon »

Wow, thanks for all the edits, Al! I especially appreciate you adding non-breaking spaces. I do run with the formatting marks showing, but frequently lack enthusiasm for fixing that issue.

I will take a pass at hit boxes to all monsters and addressing unspecified weapons. Regarding special attacks, does the description of the attack go as a paragraph after the stat block?

Different types of walls is exactly the kind of creative collaboration I was hoping for. Yes, I could rework that part to generate the type of wall separate from the condition. I'd love to hear other ideas about increasing detail for an area or even completely new descriptions of areas to add on.

If I leave #Ap in a stat block, it's a copy-paste error.

I will update the map to show a basement as 25 and make the river's edge 26.

Regarding page breaks, do you mean only adding a page break, or do you think I should add the LibreOffice concept of a section and thus add a header that spans the two columns?

Yes, my caps and bolding is off. I can take a first pass at mostly removing non-compliant bolding.

Those "Generate a challenge and a feature for this area" lines are meant to make it clear that the GM should use the following tables. Originally, I thought I would get away with marking keywords in the descriptions, such as bolding "challenge". Then, I worried it wouldn't be obvious and added those one-liners. I'm also becoming more aware of specific style guide rules about bolding. Consider this description from area 8.
Stairs lead up to a 10'x10' porch where sturdy boards hold a door closed. Bold letters carved into one of the planks displays a warning. Withered offerings collect before the threshold.
Here, I haven't even called out that the GM should generate a warning from the table that follows. I'm guessing bolding isn't appropriate because it has other uses by the style guide. In this case, only some of the descriptions require generating a warning, so I'm thinking it needs a parenthetical. Thus:
Stairs lead up to a 10'x10' porch where sturdy boards hold a door closed. Bold letters carved into one of the planks displays a warning. (Roll on the Porch Warning table that follows). Withered offerings collect before the threshold.
This seems to match style I see in KH1. That is, give the reader a command and bold the header.

For spots like 11. Sun Room that always have a challenge and feature, it probably makes better sense to write a single line telling the GM to use the following tables.
Generate a Sun Room Challenge and a Sun Room Feature using the tables that follow.
Does that make sense? Maybe it requires more conversation for consensus.

I will aim for having an r3 up by EOD. Thanks again for your edits.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

leon

Post by leon »

Revision 3 is added to the top post.
  • Added hit boxes to monsters
  • Fixed bolding for monster names
  • Added three versions of the basement to the map and renumbered the river to be 26

leon

Post by leon »

Revision 4 is on the top post and has
  • different walls types with separate state of decay,
  • minor style fixes for classes, races, spells and similar issues per the style guide, and
  • a start on switching up the references to tables referenced in descriptions.

AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Comments and corrections for V4

There is nothing mentioned in treasures or other clues to draw the party to the river’s edge. Might be missed if the party doesn’t explore all the areas thoroughly.

There is mention of the Well having treasure in the Undead Infestation section and nothing in the Bandit Hideout section. Might be missed if the party doesn’t explore all the areas thoroughly.

Page 4 – Wall Construction Table – 5-8 Granite blocks
Misspelled ‘wer’ to ‘were’.
Currently: The walls wer made of smooth blocks of granite.
Changed to: The walls were made of smooth blocks of granite.

Whole book – Monsters – HP blocks
Changed the last line of HP Blocks to WanderingMonsterEnd Style.

Page 5 – Carriage House Monster – Assassin Vines
Stat block Attack and Damage are not clearly defined.
Currently: … #At 1 + special, Dam 1d8 + special, …
Suggest: … #At 1 Vine, Dam 1d8 + 1d8 per round, entangled save vs Death Ray with STR bonus, …

Page 6 – Hut Monsters – Plaque Hounds
Currently: … #At 1 bite + special, Dam 2d4 bite + paralysis, …
Suggest: … #At 1 bite + paralysis + disease, Dam 2d4 bite + paralysis (elves immune) 2d8 turns save vs Paralysis to avoid + ghoul fever 10% per bite save vs Death Ray -4 or die within day and raise at next sunset as ghoul …

Page 7 – Hut Monsters – Zombies
Currently: … #At 1, Dam 1d8 or by weapon, …
Suggest: … #At 1 fist or (define weapon), Dam 1d8 or (give weapon damage), …

Page 7 – Orchard Monster – Assassin Vines
Currently: … #At 1 + special, Dam 1d8 + special, …
Suggest: … #At 1 Vine, Dam 1d8 + 1d8 per round, entangled save vs Death Ray with STR bonus, …

Page 8 – 6. Garden – Yellow Mold
Currently: … #At Spores, Dam See description, …
Suggest: … #At Spore Burst (Poison), Dam within 10 feet 1d8 per round for 6 rounds, save vs Death Ray, …

Page 8 – Garden Graves – Zombies

Page 8 – Garden Graves – Vampire
Currently: … #At fists or special, Dam 1d8 or special,
Suggest: … #At fists or (define weapon) or gaze charm or rarely bite, Dam 1d8 or (give weapon damage) or gaze charm save vs Spell -2 will not resist bite attack, or bite 1d3 plus energy drain per round (heals 1d6 per round until back to full HP) -5 to AC if used in combat if victim dies will rise as vampire under the attacker’s control …

Page 9 – House – Paragraph one
Change page numbers to the updated versions pages. Change Area 25 to Area 26 to match updated version. If some of the suggestions are used the length of the document may change and then also change the page numbers given here.
Currently: The rooms of the house follow one of two themes (1d4): 1-2 Undead Infestation (page 7) or 3-4 Bandit Hideout (page 15). Only use the matching section below, then skip to Area 25.
Change to: The rooms of the house follow one of two themes (1d4): 1-2 Undead Infestation (page 10) or 3-4 Bandit Hideout (page 20). Only use the matching section below, then skip to Area 26 (page 34).

Page 9 – Undead Infestation
Put a page break in front of Undead Infestation Header so the section starts on a fresh page. (Now page 10.) See above entry about page numbering.

Page 10 – Entry Closet – Zombies

Page 11 – 10. Parlor and Hallway – 3-4
Missing punctuation.
Currently: Use the Two Figures in the Parlor table, below
Change to: Use the Two Figures in the Parlor table, below.

Page 11 – Two Figures in the Parlor – Zombies

Page 12 – Sun Room Challenge – Yellow Mold
Stat block Attack and Damage are not defined.
Currently: … #At Special, Dam See below, …
Suggest: … #At Spore Burst (Poison), Dam within 10 feet 1d8 per round for 6 rounds, save vs Death Ray, …

Page 12 – Sun Room Challenge – Ghouls
No HP blocks.

Page 12 – Library – Paragraph
Put page number in to allow people to find the correct book description tables.
Currently: Refer to the additional house tables if books are present.
Change to: Refer to the Additional House Tables, starting on page 32, if books are present.

Page 12 – Library Challenge – Shieker
Currently: … #At Special, Dam None, …
Suggest: … #At Loud Noise, Dam None Noise lasts for 1d3 rounds, …

Page 13 – Food Pantry Challenge – Yellow Mold
Currently: … #At Special, Dam See below, …

Page 14 – 16. Kitchen – Evil Cleric and Fighter Stats
No HP blocks given. Are the ability scores given for the Fighter the same for all the fighters?

Page 14 – 16. Kitchen – Shieker
Currently: … #At Special, Dam None, …
Suggest: … #At Loud Noise, Dam None Noise lasts for 1d3 rounds, …

Page 14 – Scholar’s Bedroom Challenge – Mummy
Give description of the disease after the HP blocks.
Suggest: Disease: Mummy Rot prevents normal or magical healing; a cure disease spell must be applied to the victim before he or she may again regain hit points.

Page 14 – Scholar’s Bedroom Challenge – Allip
Currently: … #At 1 touch + special, Dam Energy drain (1 level), …
Suggest: … #At 1 touch + babble, Dam Energy drain (1 level), babble save vs Paralysis or stunned

Special note for Basic Fantasy Field Guide 1:
Allip no length of time for the babble attack. Suggest 1d6 rounds.

Page 14 – Scholar’s Bedroom Treasure – Books
For the entry with books may want to mention the book description tables.
Currently: 1d4 books.
Suggest: 1d4 books. Refer to the Additional House Tables, starting on page 32, if books are present.

Page 15 – Lady’s Bedroom Challenge – Crypt Dweller
Attack and damage mention weapon needs to be detailed.
Currently: … #At 2 claws or by weapon, Dam 1d4 class or by weapon, …
Suggest: … #At 2 claws or (define weapon), Dam 1d4 claws or (give weapon damage), …

Page 15 – Lady’s Bedroom Treasure – Magic item
Magic items are capitalized and bold.
Currently: Under the mattress is an iron Rod of Cancellation.
Change to: Under the mattress is an iron Rod of Cancellation.

Page 15 – Lady’s Bedroom Treasure – Books
Suggest: 1d4 books. Refer to the Additional House Tables, starting on page 32, if books are present.

Page 15 – Lord’s Bedroom – Paragraph one
Misspelling roughhewn should be rough hewn
Currently: An animal hide spread over a massive bed made of roughhewn oak.
Change to: An animal hide spread over a massive bed made of rough hewn oak.

Page 15 – Lord’s Bedroom Challenge – Draugr
Include the breath attack and damage.
Currently: … #At 1 Greatsword, Dam 1d10+3, …
Suggest: … #At 1 Greatsword or Breath Attack, Dam 1d10+3 or Breath Cone of Ice 10 feet long 10 feet wide at far end must save vs. Spells or be stunned (-2 to AC, in addition to losing any Dexterity and shield bonuses) and unable to act for one round, …

Include the breath attack for Draugr in the Attack and Dam fields.

Page 16 – Lord’s Bedroom Challenge – Succubus
Attack and Damage don’t match entry in Basic Fantasy Field Guide 1
Currently: #At 2 claws + special, Dam 1d4/1d4,
Suggest: #At 2 claws + special or (specify weapon), Dam 1d4/1d4 + spell like effect or (give weapon damage)
After the HP blocks include the spell like attacks:
A succubus can use the following spells at will (as a 12th level caster): charm person, suggestion, darkness 15' radius, dimension door, ESP, and clairaudience (as the potion).

Page 16 – Lord’s Bedroom Challenge – Rot Grubs Stat block and HP blocks.
Define special damage.
Put a note that each block represents one monster and then have the HP blocks concentrated. This style was used for a group of bats in Basic Fantasy RPG Morgansfort.
Currently: … #At 1 bite, Dam special, …
Suggest: … #At 1 bite, Dam During the first two rounds, a burrowing rot grub can be killed by applying fire to the infested skin or by cutting open the infested skin with any slashing weapon. Either method deals 2d6 points of damage to the victim, but kills the grubs. After the second round, only a cure disease can kill the grubs as they burrow to the victim’s heart and devour it in 1d3 turns, …

Currently: HP 1 ☐ 1 ☐ (9 lines like this)
Suggest: Note: Each box below represents a single rot grub.
HP 18 ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐
☐☐☐

Page 16 – Back Bedroom Challenge – Draugr
Currently: … #At 1 Maul, Dam 1d10+3,, …
Suggest: … #At 1 Maul or Breath Attack, Dam 1d10+3 or Breath Cone of Ice 10 feet long 10 feet wide at far end must save vs. Spells or be stunned (-2 to AC, in addition to losing any Dexterity and shield bonuses) and unable to act for one round, …

Page 17 – Master Bedroom Challenge – Draugr
Currently: … #At 1 Maul, Dam 1d10+3,, …
Suggest: … #At 1 Maul or Breath Attack, Dam 1d10+3 or Breath Cone of Ice 10 feet long 10 feet wide at far end must save vs. Spells or be stunned (-2 to AC, in addition to losing any Dexterity and shield bonuses) and unable to act for one round, …

Page 17 – Master Bedroom Challenge – Banshee
Attack and Damage don’t match entry in Basic Fantasy Field Guide 1
Currently: … #At 1 touch, Dam Special, …
Suggest: … #At 1 touch or wailing, Dam touch Level Drain 1d4 levels per touch or wailing save vs Death Ray or die in 2d6 needs remove curse to prevent death, …

Include the wailing attack for the Banshee in the Attack and Dam fields.

Page 17 – Master Bedroom Challenge – Mohrg
Currently: … #At 1 slam or 1 tongue, Dam 1d6 slam or special, …
Suggest: … #At 1 slam or 1 tongue, Dam 1d6 slam or tongue must save vs. Paralysis or become paralyzed for 6d4 rounds ,

Page 18 – Master Bedroom Treasure – List of treasures
Currently in section 1: … An Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location. A longsword +1. A map to type A treasure, 1d4 miles from the house. A scroll of Protection from Undead. …
Change to in section 1: … An Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location. A longsword +1. A map to type A treasure, 1d4 miles from the house. A Scroll of Protection from Undead. …

Currently in section 4: 4 potions of Gaseous Form.
Change to in section 4: 4 Potions of Gaseous Form.

Page 18 – 23. Bath – List entry 1-3
Misspelling
Currently: … The pieces of a smashed mirror scatter over the floor before a toilet.
Change to: … The pieces of a smashed mirror are scattered over the floor before a toilet.

Page 18 – Bandit Hideout
Put a page break in front of Bandit Hideout Header so the section starts on a fresh page. (Now page 19.) See above entry about page numbering.

Page 19 – Bandit Hideout – Paragraph 2
Double word ‘the’
Currently: … They may be obvious, as a red scarf tied around the the neck, or subtle, as with a tattoo on the forearm.
Change to: … They may be obvious, as a red scarf tied around the neck, or subtle, as with a tattoo on the forearm.

Page 22 – Porch Trap – Number 2
Since the party members are avoiding being crushed by boulders, suggest that save include Dex modifier.
Currently: … Each boulder does 1d6 points of damage, save vs. Death for half-damage.
Suggest: … Each boulder does 1d6 points of damage, save vs. Death + DEX for half-damage.

Page 22 – Porch Trap – Rot Grubs Stat block and HP blocks.
Define special damage.
Put a note that each block represents one monster and then have the HP blocks concentrated. This style was used for a group of bats in Basic Fantasy RPG Morgansfort.
Currently: … #At 1 bite, Dam special, …
Suggest: … #At 1 bite, Dam During the first two rounds, a burrowing rot grub can be killed by applying fire to the infested skin or by cutting open the infested skin with any slashing weapon. Either method deals 2d6 points of damage to the victim, but kills the grubs. After the second round, only a cure disease can kill the grubs as they burrow to the victim’s heart and devour it in 1d3 turns, …

Currently: HP 1 ☐ 1 ☐ (10 lines like this)
Suggest: Note: Each box below represents a single rot grub.
HP 20 ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐
☐☐☐☐☐

Page 22 – Closet Treasure – Books

Page 22 – 10. Parlor and Hallway – Paragraph 1
Double word ‘the’ change to ‘to the’
Currently: A stairway on the north wall leads up the the second story. …
Change to: A stairway on the north wall leads up to the second story. …

Page 23 – 10. Parlor and Hallway – #4
Still need #4

Page 23 – Stairs to the Basement – #2
#2 Why not use Gang Insignia?
Currently: A skull and crossbones are painted over the top of them.
Change to: The gang’s insignia is painted over the top of the boards.

Page 23 – 11. Sun Room – #2
Currently: … Two henchmen hover her, one with a knife. …
Change to: … Two henchmen hover over her, one with a knife. …

Page 23 – 11. Sun Room – Books
Currently: Books burn in the blazing fireplace. A small stack of books is set aside. A henchmen squats near the fire, ready to toss another book in.
Suggest: Books burn in the blazing fireplace. A small stack of books is set aside. A henchmen squats near the fire, ready to toss another book in. Refer to the Additional House Tables, starting on page 32, if books are present.

Page 23 – Sun Room Map – #6
Remove double word ‘the’.
Currently: Both stories of the the house are diagrammed with notes added for adding secret chambers.
Change to: Both stories of the house are diagrammed with notes added for adding secret chambers.

Page 23 – Dining Room Challenge – #1
What happens if the leader or the sergeant are used in another room? Should the leader be replaced by the sergeant? Should that entry be skipped?

Page 25 – 15. Food Pantry – Rats
Currently: HP 1 ☐ 1 ☐ (25 lines like this)
Suggest: Note: Each box below represents a single rat.
HP 50 ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐
☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐
☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐
☐☐☐☐☐

Page 25 – Kitchen Challenge – #1
Currently: … The trap may be disabled by attaching a string to cleat on the wall.
Change to: … The trap may be disabled by attaching a string to a cleat on the wall.

Page 25 – Kitchen Challenge – #4
Is there a DEX penalty for trying to walk or fight on the slippery floor?

Page 25 – Kitchen Challenge – #6
Currently: … A wood golem stands at attention the middle of the room, ready to clean or cook by order of anyone in the gang who knows the end all request by stating “praise Molok”. The golem ignores anyone moving through the room unless they speak, and if they fail to state the code phrase, it attacks.
Change to: … A wood golem stands at attention in the middle of the room, ready to clean or cook by order of anyone in the gang who knows to end all requests by stating “praise Molok”. The golem ignores anyone moving through the room, unless they speak, and if they fail to state the code phrase, it attacks.

Page 26 – Hallway Feature – #1
Currently: So many empty bottles litter the hallway that is nearly impossible to pass through without triggers a moment of tinkling glass. …
Change to: So many empty bottles litter the hallway that it is nearly impossible to pass through without triggering a moment of tinkling glass. …

Page 26 – Scholar’s Bedroom Challenge – #1
Currently: A henchman relaxes in bed with a book.
Suggest: A henchman relaxes in bed with a book. Refer to the Additional House Tables, starting on page 32, if books are present.

Page 26 – Scholar’s Bedroom Treasure – #6
Remove double word ‘a’.
Currently: … The notes allow a a human to have a CHA score of 18 with respect to the widow.
Change to: … The notes allow a human to have a CHA score of 18 with respect to the widow.

Page 27 – Lady’s Bedroom Challenge – #1 and #2
What happens if the sergeant is used in another room? Should the seargent be replaced by the leader? Should that entry be skipped?

Page 27 – Lady’s Bedroom Challenge – #3
Three henchmen for the evil Cleric are mentioned, but are not stated out or HP blocks.

Page 27 – Lady’s Bedroom Treasure – #5
Axes and other weapons are almost always two words
Currently: The closet contains an ornate greataxe (350 gp), gold-plated and set with diamonds.
Change to: The closet contains an ornate great axe (350 gp), gold-plated and set with diamonds.

Page 27 – 20. Lord’s Bedroom – Paragraph one
Misspelling roughhewn should be rough hewn
Currently: An animal hide spread over a massive bed made of roughhewn oak.
Change to: An animal hide spread over a massive bed made of rough hewn oak.

Page 28 – Lord’s Bedroom Extra Detail – #1
Currently: A book lies open on a nightstand.
Suggest: A book lies open on a nightstand. Refer to the Additional House Tables, starting on page 32, if books are present.

Page 28 – Lord’s Bedroom Extra Detail – #5
Changed ‘a’ to ‘and’
Currently: The closet contains ordinary clothes a boots.
Change to: The closet contains ordinary clothes and boots.

Page 28 – Lord’s Bedroom Challenge – #5
Currently: A magic user sits in in an armchair holding a wand of paralyzation.
Change to: A magic user sits in in an armchair holding a Wand of Paralyzation.

Page 29 – Back Bedroom Challenge – #1
Wrong ‘panther’ is bolded. What if #3 is rolled above? Also there are no HP blocks for this monster.
Currently: The lumps under the covers are are a panther.
Panther:
Change to: The lumps under the covers are are a panther.
Panther:

Page 29 – Back Bedroom Challenge – #3
Unneeded word ‘on’.
Currently: Five henchmen sleep on the bed on and on the floor.
Change to: Five henchmen sleep on the bed and on the floor.

Page 29 – Back Bedroom Treasure – #4
Awkward wording
Currently: Under the pillow of the bed is a Ring of Spell Turning sized for a small hand that might not fit on human pinkie finger.
Change to: Under the pillow of the bed is a Ring of Spell Turning sized for a small hand. The ring may not even fit on most human pinkie fingers.

Page 30 – Master Bedroom Challenge – #1
What happens if the leader or the sergeant are used in another room? Should the leader be replaced by the sergeant? Should that entry be skipped?

Page 30 – 23. Bath – Paragraph
Misspelling
Currently: … A fine silver mirrrow hangs over a wash basin. …
Change to: … A fine silver mirror hangs over a wash basin. …

Page 30 – 24. Master Bath – Paragraph
Misspelling ‘a’ vs’an’.
Currently: … A small seat with a open hole covers a pipe that extends all the way to the basement.
Change to: … A small seat with an open hole covers a pipe that extends all the way to the basement.

Page 31 – Additional House Tables
Put a page break in front of Additional House Tables so the section starts on a fresh page.

Page 32 – Book Subject – Table
Suggestion:
Include varying percentages for spells to be included in the books. Higher for books about magical subjects (i.e. Magic, Necromancy and Theology) and lower for more mundane subjects (i.e. Beasts, or History).

Page 33 – River
Put a page break in front of River so the section starts on a fresh page.

Page 35 - Map
Map needs a compass and scale description.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

R5 added to first post.