Additional Rules for Solo Play

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
lekkis

Additional Rules for Solo Play

Post by lekkis »

Hello everyone,

I adapted some rules from other systems (mainly Scarlet Heroes) to make BFRPG playable with just one character.

I would be glad if you could contribute with your opinion.
Attachments
BFRPG-Additional-Rules-for-Solo-Play-r3.pdf
(54.58 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
Last edited by lekkis on Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lekkis

Re: Additional Rules for Solo Play

Post by lekkis »

I've added a release 2 that fix some typos and adding more information.
lekkis

Post by lekkis »

As requested, PDF version added.
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

I really dig these rules that come from Scarlet Heroes. I might test this out for a solo game and see where it takes me. Though I would think some folks may feel it doesn't make much difference if they already own Scarlet Heroes and are familiar with the solo rules and tables given. However I do think BFRPG needed this if anyone just wants the rules and not the whole package the game provides.

One idea I had a thought of was called Threat Levels. I had ended up getting into contact with Bandits one time with a character and it was 1 vs 12. Even with trying to negotiate a deal and avoiding combat, the dice rolls weren't my best friend lol. So I figure reducing the number of monsters/NPCs appearing would help with that. As the image shows. you can choose or roll a d6 for a threat level and adjust depending on the party size of your games.
Attachments
Threat Levels: Alternative Number Appearing monster/NPCs encounter
Threat Levels: Alternative Number Appearing monster/NPCs encounter
20221201_082828.jpg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 2003 times
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

So I ran through a co-op with a friend of mines using the solo rules. So far it went pretty well as far as the difficulty went. we just ran our two heros as normal able to spend hero points individually through a tough dungeon crawl using random tiles.

We only just use the baseline rules (no optional) and didn't ran into any issues with the adventure we had.
TPFox

Post by TPFox »

I'm not sure of the full legality of things, but I think rules systems that are mentioned in the document should be cited at the end in the reference section such as Mythic, MUNE, and the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia. Also, if some of these rules are coming from Scarlet Heroes, that book should be cited in the reference section as well.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Only OGL-licensed material can be used and also cited in the OGL license at the end of the document.
Anything else rules-wise can be used as inspiration and built off of, modified, torn apart and re-built, etc. but those rules/games cannot be cited in the OGL, nor credited anywhere else.