Quasi-Class Occultist

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Profit

Quasi-Class Occultist

Post by Profit »

One of the character types I like to play is an Occultist or Hedge Wizard style character. So I set out to make a class. :D As I thought it through though, I felt it might make a better quasi-class than full class as even fighters and thieves can have knowledge handed down to them from an elder, or a barbarian may have a ritual they perform before battle.

This is the roughest pre-alpha first draft of this attempt.

Things I'm unsure of, is it to powerful for a quasi class? After looking at bards I don't think it's anymore powerful than they are.

The other thing I was worried about is the criteria for a spell to be a ritual. I had originally said 1 turn, but some spells say 10 minutes. 1 turn = 10 minutes. So I amended the wording there to include 10 minutes.

Anyway, this is a first attempt, all critique welcome whether good, bad, or ugly.
Attachments
occultist_template.odt
(60.8 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Dimirag

Re: Quasi-Class Occultist

Post by Dimirag »

As such, an Occultist has a ritual book they transcribe the directions into. An Occultist is able to add a spell to their ritual book that has a base duration of 1 turn (10 minutes) or more.
What the based duration is applied to? It means only spell during 10' or more can be copied?
The ritual takes 10 minutes to perform for each level of the spell and any material components must be met. The level of the spell that can be used as a ritual is based on the occultist experience level. The time and gold is same as a wizard scribing a new spell with the gold cost being doubled.
They can free cast spells if enough time is given? Even if they pay double cost at spell transcription its to much, specially since BFRPG does not use spell components.

Can they only use ritual of Magic-User spells? What about if they are Clerics?
What happens if a spellcaster has access to 0Lvl spells and uses this QC?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Profit

Post by Profit »

What the based duration is applied to? It means only spell during 10' or more can be copied?
Yes, only a spell with a duration of 1 Turn (10 minutes) or more can be copied in to the ritual book. The longer spells would be the types of spells you might see in Supernatural or books or comic books where an occultist has to perform a lengthy process to make the spell happen.
They can free cast spells if enough time is given? Even if they pay double cost at spell transcription its to much, specially since BFRPG does not use spell components.
Yes, if enough time is given. The only things I can really try to use to balance that out is time and cost to transcribe, spell duration (don't want them performing rituals for magic missile or lightning bolt, instant style spells that do damage), and length of time the ritual takes.

Currently I have the gold cost doubled as you noted and length of time to cast sitting at 10 mins per spell level. So a 2nd level spell would take 20 minutes. I think this is where the adjustment should probably be made. Possibly upwards or 30 or 60 minutes per spell level.

At 60 minutes per spell level to cast the spell as a ritual, a 1st level spell would take an hour and a 7th level spell would take 7 hours. This would be to cast a spell that possibly only lasts 10 minutes.
That would really cut into the adventuring day and might make a good balancer. Assuming an 8 hour ish adventuring day that would be up to 8 first level spells or 1 7th level spell, if the only thing being done is the ritual.
Can they only use ritual of Magic-User spells? What about if they are Clerics?
Yes only Arcane Magic-User spells can be rituals, and this quasi-class would allow Clerics to perform 'dark magic' rituals to cast them.
What happens if a spellcaster has access to 0Lvl spells and uses this QC?
I gave the occultist the ability to use 0 lvl spells (simple magics) if the Libriam Magica or 0 Level Spells supplement is used. So I'm not sure I understand the question? I think you are asking if the QC is applied to a magic-user or a cleric do they get double the 0 lvl spells? That answer to me is no, and I probably need a line that says something like, if the PC already has access to 0 lvl spells they do not get extra from this quasi class. If the PC does not have access to 0 lvl spells they gain access.

And thank you for the fine critique and working the class through some. :)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Instead of going with spells by time limit, it may be better to just gave them a list of rituals, choosing spells that suit the QC (it could contain spells from every class as long as it make sense).
As rituals involve components, some rules should be given, either a flat gold cost per casting, or even better, give different "ritual components" as equipment, divided by quality (that limits the max ritual level, or gives a chance of failure if casting above its max level).
If you want more refinement divide it into consumable and non-consumable.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/