Chrysogon's Coterie - 288 NPCs for your Campaign

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
gabeprime

Re: Chrysogon's Coterie - 288 NPCs for your Campaign

Post by gabeprime »

toddlyons wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:39 pm How do you get the nice white surround on the font, Gabe? At least on the top half, I prefer it to the shadow bar which we currently use...
It depends on the software. I used InShot for that which allows for a border colour on text. In photoshop there is an option for layers to have an outer outline. Gimp probably has a similar option. Ironically, in Procreate (the art app I actually use), there’s no easy way to do that.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Todd: Regarding interior art, I've gone through the entire list you suggested, formatting them for single-column printing in the book. You said you didn't think of them as representing anyone specific, but I don't feel like that's a good idea. It's a book full of characters... if I knew nothing about it and picked it up, I'd expect the pictures of people to represent specific people from the book.

Would you be willing to go through a document I've prepared containing pics created by our artists (omitting the PD art for now) and assign at least some of them for specific characters from your book? You know your characters better than I do, and I feel like I'm inadequately equipped to make these decisions. Ideally, I'd like to include at least one picture from every artist you tagged, since I've already added them to the credits in my current working R17. :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Gabe: Interesting. I'm a Gimp user and am not aware of any way to do the specific thing you are suggesting. The method I've always used involves selections.

So... lemme go look.

Okay, so the recommended way of doing it uses paths. Interesting. I will definitely try that.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Using paths turns out to be the same technique I do with selections, but about two steps longer. Huh. So I did it my way.

I left the subtitle in Sherwood but used Chomsky for the main title. It looks okay to me but if you guys think it's too much I'll make it something plainer, like Century Gothic (the same as the copyright). I do feel like Chomsky is too busy at a smaller point size, though it is still surprisingly readable.
Attachments
Cover-r3.pdf
(6.88 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:03 pm Chomsky is a better choice, in my opinion. I've downloaded it, and will soon upload a new cover using it. I'm not sure it's a good choice for the subtitle though, as being smaller will make it harder to read.
Great! No harm in trying it for the subtitle. If it doesn't work, we can try some more comparisons to choose a complimentary font.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hey, Todd, I think you missed a couple of my posts. I shared a new sample, and asked you a question.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:08 pm Would you be willing to go through a document I've prepared containing pics created by our artists (omitting the PD art for now) and assign at least some of them for specific characters from your book? You know your characters better than I do, and I feel like I'm inadequately equipped to make these decisions.
Yes, I can try. I don't actually have any specific mental pictures for any of them (except now for the 3 that Gabe created), but I can try to do some matching.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:31 pm I left the subtitle in Sherwood but used Chomsky for the main title. It looks okay to me but if you guys think it's too much I'll make it something plainer, like Century Gothic (the same as the copyright). I do feel like Chomsky is too busy at a smaller point size, though it is still surprisingly readable.
I'm happy with this, Chris. If Chomsky is too busy in the smaller size, Sherwood works fine.

And removing that shadow band at the top brought so much colour back. I love it.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Chris: There are three other pictures I left in my Dropbox. All are from artists on the site. If they're okay to use, could you add them to your document?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Actually, I held out 5 pictures that, in my opinion, aren't really characters. One is Gabe Fua's group of adventurers, which I think will go on the title page. Is that one of those you're asking about? And can you tell me what the others are, so I'll know if I've missed something or if it was a deliberate choice?