#Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Level 1 (January)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

#Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Level 1 (January)

Post by Solomoriah »

So I'm seeing all this stuff on social media about the #Dungeon23. You can read all about it here:

https://dungeon23.carrd.co/

The idea is, as I understand it, to encourage/empower Game Masters to create their own dungeon. Sean McCoy has included prompts to help you along, and has a more detailed post about how it's to be done here:

https://seanmccoy.substack.com/p/dungeon23

Now that's cool, no complaints from me. Helping individuals design dungeons is great. But that's not what we're about here in the Basic Fantasy Project. We're about collaboration, about the good things that come from working together.

So, I have a proposal. #Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition

Each month I'll post a dungeon map with the correct number of rooms for the month. But we don't have to do it day-by-day... instead, I want to encourage all fans of Basic Fantasy RPG to jump in and create stuff. Make up room descriptions to fit the various rooms in each month's map. Or, help someone else with a room or suite of rooms... add descriptive text, suggest corrections or help with game balance. This way, nobody needs to be afraid to post something that's incomplete, since we can rely on each other to fill in the blanks.

Now, if this sounds like chaos, yeah, it could be. Someone has to be in charge, to apply editorial control to make all these random rooms into a usable dungeon level key. And yeah, sometimes we may have to leave something out, which might be rather an unpleasant job.

I can't ask anyone else to do that. So I'm going to. Each month I'll compile the room descriptions for that month into a coherent key and post it on the forum. Bits that get dropped can be rolled into the next month if desired, perhaps adjusted somewhat as each month we'll be doing a higher (harder) dungeon level.

To be absolutely clear here: We'll be making this up as we go along. Everyone who participates has to understand that some cutting and bending will be needed to make everything fit. If there is anyone to blame for these kinds of changes, it's me. In other words, play nice.

Below is the map for January, the first level of our as-yet-unnamed megadungeon. I'll also get the ball rolling by keying the first room (in a post following this one) so you all can see my recommended format.

I realize I also just opened the doors for a dungeon design competition. Those of you working on Mysterious Island keys can safely ignore this thread for now; here, I'm looking for people who don't have the time or energy to do a full dungeon, but would like to design a room or three. And you all can join in the fun in February after the closing of the contest, as we start on the second level.
Attachments
Level 1 flat.png
Level 1 flat.png (230.82 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: #Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition

Post by Solomoriah »

1. Entrance:

** boxed text **

The wide stone stairs descend into darkness. They're webbed with cracks and littered with stones and leaves, but they're still serviceable. You tear away cobwebs and vines hanging in your way as you advance downward into a large room.

It's an oddly shaped room, wider than it is deep, with large pillars supporting the high arched ceiling. The walls and floor of the room appear to be made from massive gray blocks of stone, and a sense of extreme age fills the air.

** end boxed text **

Note to GM: This room is large enough that a torch or lantern won't illuminate all of it. Read or paraphrase the next part only when your player characters can see it.

** boxed text **

As you see more of the room, you notice doors to your right and left, and ahead of you are a pair of statues facing each other; you must pass between them to reach the large double doors straight ahead. The statues are made of reddish-orange stone; each depicts a woman warrior armed with a spear and wearing rather fanciful armor that fails to cover enough skin to be useful. The statues are mirror images of each other, so that the left-hand statue holds hers in her right hand, the right-hand statue in her left hand.

Just past each statue is a pillar, and in the space between those pillars you see scattered bones of several small animals and a few bones belonging to larger creatures. None of the bones appear human or humanoid, at least not at a glance. You also notice the floor between the pillars is oddly darkened in a random mottled fashion.

** end boxed text **

This room has a trap: The two pillars that frame the north exit (the large double doors) are charged with electricity. If either is touched, the character doing the touching suffers 2d6 points of damage; a successful saving throw vs. Death Ray reduces this damage by half. If any characters walk between the pillars, lightning plays between them inflicting 2d6 points of damage on all characters in the area of effect, with a successful saving throw vs. Death Ray allowing a victim to leap aside and thus totally avoid the damage. These effects are linked such that once the shock or lightning is activated the trap is disarmed for an hour, which is how long it takes the pillars to recharge.

The statues' spears seem to point to a spot approximately in the center of the space between the two pillars that frame the door. This is a warning about the trap, and also a way to safely disarm it. The statues are attached to metal shafts embedded in the floor so that they can be turned, and are geared such that turning either one turns the other one in the opposite direction. They can only be turned in one direction, toward the pillars, and will stop when facing them. While the statues face the pillars, the trap is disarmed (but is not discharged, so that turning them back reactivates it immediately). If left unattended, the statues will suddenly turn to face each other again after 1d6 turns, rearming the trap.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Guys? Anyone? Bueller?
Arcane_Hunter89

Post by Arcane_Hunter89 »

2. Orc Survivors

Boxed text: This room is an octagonal shaped room with a dampness in the air. Long extinguished torches hang on the walls, two on each wall.

GM Note: Three Orcs are sheltering here. They're not hostile, but will fight the party if the party decides to attack first and ask questions later. They are rather frightened by this place and are interested in self preservation. Roll a reaction and compare to the Charisma bonus of the leader of the party. If parlay is possible, the orcs will reveal the secret door in the western wall. The trigger for this secret door is left torch on the southeast wall attached to a cord that triggers a mechanism to lift the wall up. If the party fails to notice via rolls, simply "testing" each torch will trigger the door. The torches themselves are useless, being too damp from the air of this room and attempting to light one does nothing.
“Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.”

- HP Lovecraft
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

An excellent start!
Rutibex

Post by Rutibex »

3. The Skeleton Princess
Boxed text: As you enter the small, dimly lit room, you are greeted by the sight of a small cage in the corner. Inside, you see an animated skeleton, dressed in the rotten remains of what was once a princess's gown. The skeleton's bones are covered in a strange fungus, which seems to be slowly eating away at the cloth and leather of its garments. The skeleton is pacing back and forth, muttering to itself.

The skeleton notices your presence and begins to speak, its voice raspy and broken. "Please, kind adventurers, you must help me! I am a poor, trapped princess. Trapped in this cursed cage by an evil sorcerer! Please, help me escape and restore me to my kingdom."

As the skeleton speaks, you notice that you and your companions have been covered in the same strange fungus. You feel a faint tingling sensation on your skin, but the fungus does not seem overtly dangerous.

The princess skeleton continues to plead with you, unaware of her own skeletal appearance or the fungus that covers her bones. She seems convinced that she is still alive and refuses to believe anyone who suggests otherwise.

"Please, I beg of you, help me escape this terrible place," the skeleton says. "I have a key, see? It opens a door elsewhere in this dungeon. Perhaps it will lead us to freedom. Will you help me, brave adventurers?"

The skeleton holds out a small bronze key, which dangles from its bones. It seems to be the key to a door elsewhere in the dungeon. Will you help the misguided skeleton escape, or leave it to its fate in the cage?

DM notes:

-The Skeleton Princess has the typical statistics of a skeleton, with 1hp.
- The skeleton is covered in a fungus that will rot away any leather or cloth in 1 hour after it comes in contact with the players' clothing or packs.
- The players can notice that they have been covered in the fungus if they pass a wisdom ability roll
- The skeleton believes it is a trapped princess and does not know that it is dead or that it is covered in a fungus. It will plead with the players to help it escape and restore it to its kingdom.
- The skeleton has a bronze key that opens a door elsewhere in the dungeon.
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

entry 6

*** begin boxed text
The intersection is littered with heavy cloth tapestries depicting scenes of various activities taking place during the seasons, ornately patterned leather sheets, and some colorful bags with thread and wool and little boxes with tools for sewing, and embroidery.
*** end boxed text

The winged doors leading to the atrium to the south can be barred from swinging in either direction with a lever-activated mechanism that presses down onto the doors. The bee-shaped lever is placed on the eastern wall.

The secret door to the north is slightly opened, and is easily noticed on a detection roll +2, if either lighting is sufficient, or the characters are close enough to feel the draft. However, the door cannot be passed as it it stuck due to the ceiling pressing down on it. If it is forcefully opened by the player characters or monsters, then the ceiling in a 20' radius around the secret door will collapse and bar the corridors, possibly causing damage to characters and creatures in the area.

On a 1 on 1d6 characters listening at the secret door may hear soft movement in the corridor behind the door, the source of which would be One-hand-eye that has its hideout in room 22.

Unstable passages
Characters may detect unstable passages on a roll of 1 on 1d6, just like detecting traps. The roll is modified by +1, if they have a background in mining, like dwarves, or similar skills. The area must be searched before a roll is made.

If an unstable passage collapses, roll initiative for the collapsing passage and all creatures and characters in the area (combat rules apply). Those creatures and characters quick enough to leave the area of effect are not affected. All creatures and characters still in the affected area may be allowed a saving throw vs. death ray. A failed throw results in damage (e.g. 3d6 points), and they may be buried beneath the rubble (1-2 on 1d6).

The collapsing of a passage may attract wandering monsters, some of which may want to clear blocked areas. Others will merely change their routes through the dungeon, accordingly, and spread the word.

The GM may use a modified reaction table to determine, if the blocked area can be cleared. Use severity of situation to modify the roll.

Blocked area
2 or less: Area is blocked. Special mining tools needed.
3-7: Area is blocked. Tools needed, work through 10' in 3d6 turns, to create enough space to pass through with movement being reduced by 75%.
8-11: Area is blocked. Work through 10' in 1d6 turns to create enough space to pass through with movement being reduced by 50%.
12 or more: Area is difficult to traverse. Movement reduced by 50%.

Severity of situation
Some situations, no matter how they may appear, are more or less severe. The GM may use the severity of situation modifier in any such situation to modify dice rolls.

Roll 3d6 and read the matching result on the table Ability Score - Bonus/Penalty or the table below to get the modifier.
Severity of situation
Result: Bonus/Penalty
3: -3
4-5: -2
6-8: -1
9-12: 0
13-15: +1
16-17: +2
18: +3

change log:
  • 2023-01-08 - Added mentioning of One-hand-eye. Added rules suggestions for collapsing passages, and severity of situation.
  • 2023-01-11 - Added table for severity of situation
Last edited by lars_alexander on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

Oh, I just noticed, that maybe it was intended that participants pick rooms according to the day of the month. :lol:
I'll wait til January 6th, then. ;)
Rutibex

Post by Rutibex »

lars_alexander wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:00 pm Oh, I just noticed, that maybe it was intended that participants pick rooms according to the day of the month. :lol:
I'll wait til January 6th, then. ;)
No I think its intended to be a free-for-all, just post!
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

I would imagine there will be an ebb and flow in contributions.

So as long as the rooms are all done, I'm not sure if matters if we "rush" through them faster sometimes. It will probably even out later when contributions lag.

Even people doing this independently will probably get behind on their schedule, then do a few at once to catch up.