#Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Level 1 (January)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
qwertle

Re: #Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition

Post by qwertle »

Fixed, Bhusher is a vampire spawn and the generals are trained on Bhusher, so that the party can end the fight if they think wisely.
Solomoriah wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:50 am qwertle, I went ahead and took a moment to review your entry. You're presenting a first level group who share a total of perhaps 4 to 8 hit dice with 22 hit dice of undoubtedly hostile monsters with a high armor class and good attack bonuses. I don't want to rain on your parade, but really man, this is too much.

If a party of 8 first level fighters with 8 hit points each wearing plate and shield and bearing longswords walked in, they couldn't harm the vampire at all (as it's immune to non-magical weapons). Even if we armed them all with Longsword +1, the vampire could hit their AC of 18 with its AB of +6 on a roll of 12 or better, or 45% of the time. Your version doesn't give damage stats, but I assumed in my writeup that the scepter, being metal, could count as a warhammer (doesn't seem large enough to be a mace) so I figured 1d6 points of damage per hit. Fighting just the vampire, it does an average of 3.5 x 0.45 or about 1.575 points of damage per round; meanwhile, the fighters with an AB of +1 (and I'll grant them +1 for the magic sword) are hitting on 15 or better (30% chance) and doing 5.5 x 0.30 or about 1.65 points per round.

This doesn't seem so bad; the vampire will fall after an average of 27 points of damage, so it will take about 17 fighter-rounds of attacks to slay it. But the vampire can kill any one fighter in right at 5 rounds on the average. Fighting them one at a time, the vampire will kill three of the party members before falling.

Of course, the party can gang up on the vampire. If it gets its back against a wall, at most maybe five fighters could attack at once, getting 6 hits per round and killing it in three rounds with a fair likelihood of no casualties (though the averages don't tell the whole tale).

But the vampire isn't alone. It can activate the undead monsters, which are AC 18 and 8 hit dice; they average 36 hit points each, hit the fighters on a 10 or better (55% chance) and do 1d12 points of damage (average 6.5 per hit) for a per-round average damage of 6.5 x 0.55 or 3.575 points of damage. Each of the generals can thus kill a party member in 3 rounds, while receiving 5.5 x 0.25 (16 or better to hit at AB +2) = 1.375 points of damage per attacker per round. A general thus requires just over 26 rounds of attacks to fall.

Were I the GM running the vampire, on seeing a large party enter it would activate the generals as soon as the party began to advance, and back up against the wall with the generals on either side. At most the vampire could be attacked 3 times per round, which means it would take 6 rounds to slay it. In 6 rounds the generals would each kill 2 party members, and the vampire would kill 1, so more than half the party would fall while fighting them... and the generals are still standing. Assuming the party have been concentrating their attacks on the vampire, each general has been subjected to perhaps two attacks per round, or 12 fighter-rounds of attacks total; they can still sustain another 14 such rounds of attack before falling. Being basically mindless rage-creatures, it's hard to figure out how many characters can attack one of these monsters each round, but as of this point there are only three fighters left. Computing the generals as an aggregate, they have 28 fighter-rounds left in them, and each can kill a party member in three rounds, so the remaining party will take 9 rounds on the average to be slain by the generals.

And I have not even employed the vampire's charm power, which could turn party members against each other or at least stop them from fighting so that the vampire could direct its attacks more effectively and kill the party without being slain himself.

Statistically, I just don't see how we can have this encounter area on the 1st level.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

A thought I had.

In room 13, I wrote that the payer of the moon can be found in room 31, though it would probably better to put in room 27, maybe engraved on the wall facing the fresco.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm fine with that if no one else objects.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Rik Pease

Re: #Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Level 1 (January)

Post by Rik Pease »

Works for me 😊
That which does not kill you is likely to still hurt alot, so best avoid it if possible.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 pm I'm fine with that if no one else objects.
I updated room 13 and room 27.

I changed the room reference (to room 27) in room 13 and added a bit more loot to the treasure. I also updated the description of room 27, adding hints and the prayer of the Blue Moon.
Last edited by coureur_d_bois on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm updating the consolidated manuscript right now. I've moved the Prayer of the Blue Moon section to just before the fresco, as the fresco description is so long that the GM might have trouble finding the prayer section.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Qwertle, I'm sorry, but I still have questions.

First: From the description you posted, I'm unclear on the situation that will reanimate the generals. What will awaken them?

Second: Your text includes this:
the fallen chandelier is worth 300gp (takes a turn to fully grab
It's the only mention of a fallen chandelier; the boxed text does not include it.

I see you dropped the pit trap. I had already integrated it into both the 1st and 2nd levels, so I left it, but it's located far enough in front of the door to not be quite as much of an issue. I also reorganized your boxed text; typically, if a room includes an immediate encounter, the boxed text should stop at the encounter and the fine details should be boxed separately for reading or describing after the threat is vanquished (or when someone asks, in the middle of the fight, which does actually happen).

Please, DON'T edit the room description again! Just explain the two things above so I understand them and I'll make it work. I don't want to keep re-copying and re-formatting the text over and over.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:43 pm I'm updating the consolidated manuscript right now. I've moved the Prayer of the Blue Moon section to just before the fresco, as the fresco description is so long that the GM might have trouble finding the prayer section.
Good idea! The clearer, the better.
qwertle

Post by qwertle »

Apologies, I forgot to explain the chandelier, it's in the center of the room. I may edit if that's okay. The condition to set off the generals is damage to the general statues. I will try to be clearer about stuff like this in future. Glad for showing me where I went wrong. It'll help for future design things
Solomoriah wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:11 pm Qwertle, I'm sorry, but I still have questions.

First: From the description you posted, I'm unclear on the situation that will reanimate the generals. What will awaken them?

Second: Your text includes this:
the fallen chandelier is worth 300gp (takes a turn to fully grab
It's the only mention of a fallen chandelier; the boxed text does not include it.

I see you dropped the pit trap. I had already integrated it into both the 1st and 2nd levels, so I left it, but it's located far enough in front of the door to not be quite as much of an issue. I also reorganized your boxed text; typically, if a room includes an immediate encounter, the boxed text should stop at the encounter and the fine details should be boxed separately for reading or describing after the threat is vanquished (or when someone asks, in the middle of the fight, which does actually happen).

Please, DON'T edit the room description again! Just explain the two things above so I understand them and I'll make it work. I don't want to keep re-copying and re-formatting the text over and over.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just post the added boxed text in a new comment, don't edit the original room again. I do not want to have to reformat it again.