Monster Origins

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Boggo

Re: Monster Origins

Post by Boggo »

I did some pretty in depth hunting for Water Weird and could find nothing, however Weird as a type of unknown creature (by itself) does crop up occasionally, though nothing really specific (and I couldn't find any definitive sources)
No matter where you go...there you are
leon

Post by leon »

I'm starting to work on the spreadsheet again. Considered it checked out. (Source code control powered by phpBB.)
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
leon

Post by leon »

OK, one more word on the water weird (aside from my note from the other topic about weird being an obsolete noun meaning "spell"). The Shannon Appelcline document says
Water Weird. Though the water weird first appeared in print in the Monster Manual (1977), it was created by Ernie Gygax for the original tournament version of this adventure, in 1976.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

leon

Post by leon »

Release 9 is on the top post. I'm down to line 300, Ettin. Here are a few notes.

In the 1977 MM, it says brownies are perhaps the offspring of halflings and pixies. They aren't very similar to BFRPG brownie mechanically, and the name is from Scottish folklore.

These monsters need renames: bulette, choker, cloaker, couatl. For the couatl, "feathered serpent" seems natural and wouldn't be confused with the deity Quetzalcoatl (aka Kukulkan).

Len Lakofka described a brown dragon in Dragon #38, but it is different from the one in FG1.

The cold elemental and the lightning element are very similar to what MM II calls para- and quasi-elementals. And there's a quasi-elemental in Dragon #125 that's a mineral element that's' perhaps a match for the metal elemental.

Lastly, ettercap is a unique name, but it's an alternative for attercop, which seems like a natural swap for that monster name.

Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Tolkien used Ettercap in the Hobbit as an insult Bilbo hurled at the spiders (it basically means roughly dunderhead, it's association with spider creatures is a misunderstanding of that passage of the Hobbit
No matter where you go...there you are
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Bulette - landshark, earthshark
Choker - strangler
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Coatl: Quetzal. Its based on the deity, keeping the conection seems ok
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Choker should be fine, it's one common word.

Landshark would be my choice there.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:42 pm Landshark would be my choice there.
(Knock, knock)
Young lady: Who is it?
Voice: Candygram
(Knock, knock)
Young lady: Who is it?
Voice: Flowers
Young lady opens door and is attacked by a land shark

Yes I remember actually watching that skit on Saturday Night Live when it first aired. It may not be the exact lines but it has been a few decades since I saw it.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Boggo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:29 pm Tolkien used Ettercap in the Hobbit as an insult Bilbo hurled at the spiders (it basically means roughly dunderhead, it's association with spider creatures is a misunderstanding of that passage of the Hobbit
Tolkien used "Attercop", as Leon recommended. And it is indeed a word for spider, specifically a venomous spider. "Atter" cognate with "adder", "cop" cognate with "cob" as in "cobweb."