AI Tools for homebrew in Basic Fantasy

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Rutibex

Re: AI Tools for homebrew in Basic Fantasy

Post by Rutibex »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:02 am Ack. I said I wouldn't comment, but there's a point here you are just missing.

Both humans and AI systems learn about various types of content in the same way. Humans and AIs read books, or look at pictures, or whatever, and absorb the patterns within the content; both create at least in part by assembling materials from the patterns they have absorbed. I deny none of this.

But.

A human being creates material by combining these concepts with intent. The human knows, or should know, that all those other creators from whom they learned are worthy of at least some respect, and their art isn't used with any precision, not even in parts. We rightly chastise people who merely copy from others. The artist or writer has both positive and negative intent, in that they know what they want to create (positive) and what they want to avoid (negative).

AIs regurgitate the patterns they've learned without intent. They don't "know" what they "want" to create, they just wander randomly through the pattern space they've absorbed printing or painting bits and pieces in a fashion that may end up looking "good" if the AI is well designed and well trained, but in the end the AI had no capacity to either "know" or "care" about what it created.

You could reasonably argue that a human curating the content (you, in this case) can supply the intent. But the artist or writer likely knows where the material they are emulating comes from, if not in detail then at least in general. Some may be from mythology or cultural sources; some might resemble the work of an author or artist, well-known or not, who influenced the creative work. Indeed, an art or literature curation done by an expert has the same advantage, since they have deep knowledge of the material selected. Someone who has not learned so broadly cannot curate the AIs materials adequately to achieve the intent with any sensitivity to the source material. You cannot examine a fully-trained neural network and figure out with any reliability where any part of the information came from... it has been compiled into a pattern space, with the "serial numbers" stripped away. And the AI very likely has consumed far more materials than you have; it has nothing better to do, after all.

The AI has neither consciousness nor intent. What it "creates" is not created, but merely shuffled around and spat out.
Oh I believe you are absolutely correct in your assessment of the current AIs! They are basically only a portion of a human mind, like an Ego without an ID or a superego. The AIs create and mix without any intent except to please the ID (in this case human input, but this could be replaced by another AI system if we wanted them to be conscious beings). You are also correct that GPT3 is actually already super-human. Its deliberately hobbled, without long term memory or any kind of intent so that it doesn't do anything too skynet.

Maybe that means we shouldn't fool around with it and do a Butlerian Jihad. But I don't know, I'm more optimistic that an entity formed from the sum of human literature would be a good person.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Well said Solo.

If we ever reach the point where an AI can say, understand, and mean what it is to engage in creative synthesis? Sure, I'd love to have it write for BFRPG. We are not there yet, and that is not what AI generation tools do as they exist today.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

My take on this?

What's an AI: A tool so it can help with tasks or do the for you.

Its OK for an RPG?
Maybe, it depends on the en product, one thing is using it as help, just like a random table, another is to let it do the job for you (that is why I think that an AI should be credited if used).

Its OK for BFRPG?
As an idea/seed generator, sure, as long as it gives the writer space to actually write, create, put par of their personality...
As a "writer/creator"? No.
The game grew thanks to the feedback between creators and users.

Basic Fantasy is a place where crediting creators and helpers is taken seriously, its an appreciation of their ideas, time, effort, and willingness to share.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Rutibex

Post by Rutibex »

Dimirag wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:48 am Its OK for an RPG?
Maybe, it depends on the en product, one thing is using it as help, just like a random table, another is to let it do the job for you (that is why I think that an AI should be credited if used).
I totally agree about this and I actually lean into it heavily! In the narrative fiction of the stuff I am writing Malidrex the witch has created a sentient magic book (GPT3) and a Magic Mirror (midjourney) that let her produce any knowledge or image. These artifacts are not exactly pleased to be owned by some witch and they often plan and scheme against her :lol:
RPG Composer

Post by RPG Composer »

I think that long term, AI tools will be like the calculator. If you are a skilled and talented DnD creator then the tools will enhance your output and make you even more creative/productive.

The downside is there will be a lot more mediocre stuff released into the wild. AI will never be super creative without the initial input/spark from the human who has the artistic vision.

I have actually built an AI DnD character creator tool with my brother, because we hated how disempowering most AI tools are (very simple input, boring output, hardly any control, just farts out 'something')

Our idea is to provide inspiration at every step of the character building process, and works more as an inspiration tool rather then just outputting the final product. You get to be involved in the step by step process of generating a complex and interesting character.

As well, it also offers creating characters by building their lifepath in a interactive story that outputs your character at the end.

Give it a whirl! https://charactercomposer.com/
Rutibex

Post by Rutibex »

I think in the "long term" AI is going to surpass humans in creativity. I make a LOT of AI TTRPG content, and I have seen really creative ideas from the AI. By the end of the year I predict Amazon will have a service where you can write a vague description of a TTRPG book and the AI will write the whole thing for you.

Custom books is the future of TTRPG products
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. This has gone on long enough.

AI is off topic here. Thread locked.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org