Basic Fantasy Creature List Spreadsheet by Mike Roop

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Basic Fantasy Creature List Spreadsheet by Mike Roop

Post by chiisu81 »

Deleted extraneous Save As column
Deleted Page Number column
Removed creatures from Almanack (now in Field Guide); kept creatures now in Core 3E. Will eventually add another sheet for Field Guide entries

If JD is still working on it as well I'll leave it to him to email to Solo for updating on the Downloads page, otherwise I'll work on it on occasion with everyone's input.
Attachments
Basic-Fantasy-Creature-List-r3.ods
(87.49 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
jdn2006

Post by jdn2006 »

Yeah, I sent in an updated version (forget when, last month or so). Also did some suggested changes (which can be deleted), but which I added because I stumbled over this-and-that when actually USING the sheet because so many miscellaneous entries were not there. If it is rejected, I could put a version with my preferences up on the Showcase (if allowed), or at least use it myself.

As shown in the post on the Field Guide, I have a method of quickly listing the monsters out into a spreadsheet so putting together a sheet with just Field Guide critters will be easy. If it is desired, I can post it here. I'm downloading Release 18 of the Field Guide and can grind an updated listing out with the basics.

I edited numerous places where armored/unarmored movement rates had not been provided in the sheet (many giants did not have "30' armored, 40' unarmored" or whatever, for example).

Added double daggers to the Vampire hit die.

Replaced the old Cloaker stats (6 hit die) with the newer ones (10 hit die; someone may want to check them) (left a copy of the old ones on the Notes tab for reference for anyone wandering what happened).

Deleted the "save as column" that had the full save (i.e. "Fighter: 3") as it was redundant and not useful compared to the save as column with abbreviations ("F3") which was retained.

Added a sheet for notes.

Added Autofilters for top row.

Added a quick-stats column for colon formats. Users now have quick access to "3 Orcs: ... " or "3 Orcs (....)".

Added a "pick out column" where the user can put a number (like 0, 10, 100, 1000) and sort to bring specific monsters together for a project. For favorite monsters or whatever...

Added a FAMILY column for those who want to sort by family (i.e. UNDEAD). Exact family could vary; I considered adding a sub-family column but the user can change the "FAMILY" as desired.

Added a "Special" column for putting special notes: breathes fire for 1d6 damage; immune to arrows and swords; whatever. [Rather than having them thrown arbitrarily and erratically in places like behind armor class and hit die.]

Added a Hit Die Sort column to help those who want a more pure sort. (A Numeric value.)

Added a few monsters. [From the Field Guide, which can be deleted.]

Added entries for warriors, shaman, etc. per the monster descriptions in the books. And for armored/unarmored creatures. And for some multiple hit die creatures (i.e. hydra, hell hound, vampire.)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Not rejected. Just not top priority right now.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jdn2006

Post by jdn2006 »

I'm sending Solomoriah another version with some fixes. But someone will still need to go through and correct these according to the final versions and add the Field Guide monsters.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I have a significant work queue piled up, which I will start on after the two main priorities are finally in print. I did receive your two emails, BTW, and they've joined the queue.

Unrelated to this project, JD, but when I get to your Saga of the Giants compilation, I'm going to redo the front part to be like the other multimodules; I'll need you to hold off on further updates until I get that done.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Updated spreadsheet was released on December 1, 2014.

"J.D. Neal updated Mike Roop's Creature List spreadsheet with some fixes and the beginning of copying out the field guide monsters to their own sheet."
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

This is really handy for Adventure writers...
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
rudgar

Basic Fantasy Creature List (odt file)

Post by rudgar »

Hi all,
I slightly reformatted the creature list (created by Mike Roop) and put it into an odt file, for my own convenience, to make it easy to copy and paste on the go.
The spreadsheet has all the options, so it's Mike Roop's work - just reformatted a little - I think this could be easier to use for some (myself included).
Basic-Fantasy-Creature-List-R1.odt
(38.74 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Basic-Fantasy-Creature-List-R1.pdf
(132.58 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Last edited by rudgar on Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
rudgar

Re: Basic Fantasy Creature List

Post by rudgar »

Update: Used the "stat block name" instead, so can differentiate between different types of goblins, different types of orcs, etc.
Basic-Fantasy-Creature-List-R1 (version 2).odt
(40.54 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Basic-Fantasy-Creature-List-R1 (version 2).pdf
(136.8 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Basic Fantasy RPG Creature List, Release 3 German Translation de1 -- August 02, 2021
Many thanks to Peter "HeptorColeslaw" Schäfer for this new German translation of Mike Roop's Creature List spreadsheet!

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#creaturelist