DC1 Tales from the Laughing Dragon

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
dymondy2k

Re: DC1 Tales from the Laughing Dragon

Post by dymondy2k »

When I ran it all the characters had ties to the town so they felt it was more of a 'duty' thing but I think a dangling carrot of 100gp would be more than enough to get a party motivated.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

We just had our first session and the players threw me for a loop by going to Fonkin's home and searching it for clues. I ran with it on the fly. I described the hut as about 15 ft wide and only 5 to 5 1/2 high since it was a gnome hut. When they entered it, they discovered the hut was actually just a shelter over a spiral staircase leading down into the ground. They discovered it was Dwarven made stonework then proceeded to go down the stairs using the orb of light that Johne loaned them (I made sure they understood it was a loan only). The stairs ended about 18 or so feet down at one side of a room.

This room was about 30 ft by 15 ft with bookcases lining the walls. All the books where thrown about, ripped up, damaged, etc.. (I figured that his ex-apprentices would take out her anger on his beloved books) and the barbarian saw one of the bookcases move slightly (hidden wheels under the bookcases so they could be moved about) which he promptly rushed over to and yanked on. He slung it onto another pc and revealed a concealed room where the sages pet was trapped (it was a black cat since he is a magic-user). The room revealed was a storage room that was totally trashed. Everything was smashed and destroyed beyond use. This gave them the idea to search behind the other bookcases which revealed other rooms like a sleeping room, kitchen, bathroom, etc. After all that it was night time and I tossed in a storm so they chose to spend the night and I ended the session at that point since it was a logical spot.

Sorry about the ramble but so far the players like the setting and are just starting to get into the characterization in the module. Next session they will be off to where Fonkin was last seen heading towards and maybe they will get to where they need to go. It all depends on them.

Just a quick question. What is the ruins? You never specified. Is it a mansion, a fort, the remains of a tower, etc..? I was going to assume it was the remains of a tower since no map was given for it. This will just let there be a few pieces of walls laying about and the entrance to the underground hidden underneath a pile of rubble which can still be reached but you would have to crawl if you are larger then an average human (have a pc barbarian that is above average in height for the game).
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Damn players always going off the rails.. :)

As for the ruins.. There isn't much known about it.. Whatever was above it is gone except for some old paving stones surrounding the entrance.. I actually made a nice map of the entrance in Dunjinni a few years ago.. Image
The Dragonclaw Barony
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

nice map.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Well we had our third adventure and the group is now 5 strong. We have a human barbarian, halfling theif, elven fighter, half-elven cleric, and a human mage. So far every encounter they had as per the module they chewed up and spit out with in a couple rounds. I'm looking at beefing up the encounters. The group is liking it so far also.

Wish me luck.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Let me know which ones you thought were too easy.. maybe I need to beef them up a smidge
The Dragonclaw Barony
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I tossed both wandering goblin patrols at them at the same time and the fight lasted 2 rounds maybe 3 counting the chase. Now they are about to face their first set of skeleton warriors. I changed somethings like i put a rotted pouch of coins in the cage then put semi fresh wolf droppings in there. The theif dropped some coins and went digging for them
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

So Random Encounters 3 and 5? I've always liked the idea of including one Hobgoblin leader with the goblin patrols.. Maybe make hims a bit tougher than normal with an HD 2...
The Dragonclaw Barony
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

That sounds about right but I was thinking about tossing an orc in there instead. There is the wandering orc patrol so why not have one to boss the goblin patrol around. They are tougher then goblins usually and they are bullies so have it lead the goblins. This will give hints of more then goblins and their kin along with letting the players see how cowardly at times the orcs are. I might do that next goblin patrol is rolled up or I will go with you suggestion of a hobgoblin but either way the encounters need to be beefed up some.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

So I've released version 2 of TLD (hmm.. should have called it Tales from The Laughing Dragon Revisited so I could call it TLDR.. but I digress). I made the changes I got from Metroknights feedback and also a few little oopsies I missed.

But Chris would like to see if I can get a few more pages of in this module to make it a bit larger for a print copy in the future. Metroknight said when he ran the module his party wanted to investigate the Gnome's house so I was pondering maybe a small intro module of Fonkin's home. I was thinking maybe a 1/2 dozen rooms with 1 or 2 encounters. One maybe an 'escaped pet or guard' and the other an encounter with a 'hit squad' sent after Fonkin..
The Dragonclaw Barony