JN1 The Chaotic Caves

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: JN1 The Chaotic Caves

Post by chiisu81 »

jdn2006 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:59 pm There are a number of spaces in front of commas you might look at with a global replace. Such as page 12 or so the special table. Plus some double spaces in the text here and there. Some format tables, the others are sloppy editing.
I think I got most if not all of those, may likely do another pass before it's good for print release.
jdn2006 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:12 pm I no longer use LibreOffice...
Personal preference? I still have layout problems with some documents, but it can often relate to different fonts used on each system (even if they're named the exact same) as well as having to re-check any styles, etc. used.

(This is more a reply to everyone and not just JD): I'm still learning little things all the time, and hopefully I can help your adventures (as well as all other submissions) all look and read their best, have consistent styling, layout, formatting, etc. As always please let me know, or feel free to make a post on the Style Guide or Adventure/Supplement Templates threads if something needs to be (re-)addressed, discussed/debated, etc.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Solomoriah wrote:Your paragraph is running off the bottom of the page, and you want it all on the next page... so you press ENTER at the beginning of the paragraph to push it down.

Bad dog, no biscuit. If you want the paragraph to stay together, you use the paragraph options to keep the paragraph together. This way, when the document flow changes, you won't have to find and remove that extra blank paragraph.
This is my public apology to J.D. Neal. When I wrote those words above, what was in my head was light-hearted and positive; when I re-read them, I saw nasty and negative. If another forum member wrote that, I'd have been sending them a warning right away. I should have read it over before hitting SUBMIT; if I had, I'd have omitted the "bad dog, no biscuit" bit entirely, and rewritten the rest so the tone was solid and professional.

I hardly ever write the way I speak. Around here, the "bad dog, no biscuit" joke has no teeth, and I never considered that it might be rather harsh in print. Normally I edit out all the bits like that, because I never know how someone will see them.

But this is an apology, not me trying to weasel out of anything. I wrote those words, and I can see how cross and nasty they read now, and I am truly and heartily sorry.

To anyone else reading these words: If you are an author, contributor, artist, proofreader, or any other sort of member of this project, and I have been rude to you, consider this my apology to you as well. I really never mean to be an ass, it just happens sometimes.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Anyone can mis-communicate at times. I have done so myself, both in personal matters and also in my work environment.

I certainly do hope that jdn2006 knows that we all very much appreciate the contributions he has done around here! I cannot imagine not having his Chaotic Cave and Giants modules available for my games. Even when I sandbox, I figure out how to get these integrated one way or another.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I am currently running this module and was wondering: what sort of program was used to make the wilderness maps. I really like the style. It is easy to read and to use as a GM.

I would like to make something similar for my own wilderness maps. Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, so a little while ago I posted this in the Release Announcements thread:

Announcing!

JN1 The Chaotic Caves by J.D. Neal, Release 21 -- June 09, 2019
In this new release James Lemon has fixed some errata, and Chris Gonnerman did a layout pass and added a bit of art. This is a new print release candidate, so look it over closely and let us know in the forum thread if you find any errors or layout bugs.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#jn1

BUT... it's not going to print this way. I just realized the flow is wrong, in that the odd page should be on the right. I need to double-check with a better PDF viewer but I'm pretty sure it's actually wrong. So I'll be doing one more release to fix that...
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

JN1 The Chaotic Caves by J.D. Neal, Release 22 -- June 09, 2019
After noticing a fairly significant flow issue, Chris Gonnerman did another layout pass and released this version. No textual changes were made this time. This is another print release candidate.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#jn1
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Page 13, 6 Orcs: space before comma
Page 21, area 11: extra space b/w "even" and "close"
Page 22, 2 Orcs: space before comma
Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:21 pm I just realized the flow is wrong, in that the odd page should be on the right. I need to double-check with a better PDF viewer but I'm pretty sure it's actually wrong. So I'll be doing one more release to fix that...
On my PDF viewer the even page is still on the right (but it's like that for JN2 and others as well).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If your PDF viewer doesn't put the title page on the right, then your view will be wrong. Mine does, but the pages were wrong as I noted. I believe they are all right now.
teaman

Post by teaman »

I put this in the art requests thread, but I'll put it here as well. Here's a Ghoul for your approval:

Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
teaman

Post by teaman »

Here's Page 11
Here's Page 12, left left you room to crop at the top and right
Here's Page 12 right, a bugbear
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games