Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Hywaywolf

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by Hywaywolf »

Moldvay didn't have a detailed description. Its just had the type of trap. But its all good. I'm just stating my opinion. I just hope we don't end up adding too many pages to R3 (not just for traps, but for the whole thing)
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

I dunno that I'd call my descriptions detailed. I could definitely scale back if we're concerned about length though, I just wanted clarity.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Through all the various modules and such there is plenty of precedence for just about every sort of rolling mechanic to be used in a trap. Having several distinct 'methods' shown, along with different avoidance mechanics, different sorts of damage mechanics (ability damage, hit point loss, poison of various types and strength, magical effects) only helps to provide plenty of fodder for the GM to build variations of his own.

Again, great stuff.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hywaywolf wrote:Moldvay didn't have a detailed description. Its just had the type of trap. But its all good. I'm just stating my opinion. I just hope we don't end up adding too many pages to R3 (not just for traps, but for the whole thing)
What does "too many pages" mean?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

It means I like less rules :) My objection stems from my totally missing everything between b/x and 3.5. After 25ish years away from the game, the bloat that D&D had become where the books to run it became the size of a small town library makes me a crusader against rule creep. :)

LL, I was looking at the moldvay book when I replied. It only lists the trap and how to save:
Poison gas: save vs poison or die.
fog: looks like poison gas but harmless
etc.

But as long as you make Chris happy then you are righteous in my book :)
(BTW, I totally missed where you replied to me earlier. I thought you were replying to Demirag.)
artikid

Post by artikid »

A couple of ideas for the next core rules version

Recharging magic items
Spellcasters can recharge magic items like wands and staffs, granted their class can use the magic item to be recharged, when in their laboratory (for a magic user) or temple (for a cleric).
No item may be recharged beyond its maximum charge (20 for wands and 30 for staffs for eaxmple)
The spellcaster must be of at least 9th level.
Restoring a charge takes two days of work and an expenditure of 100gp.
The spellcaster makes a magical research roll with a penalty based on the actual charge level of the item:
Charge Level Chance
0 +5%
1 +0%
2-3 - 5%
4-7 - 10%
8-20 - 20%
21-30 - 30%
31+ -40%

If the roll is failed, the money is spent, the time wasted and the item is not recharged.
On a roll of 00 the magic item is destroyed in the process.

Making golems and other constructs
Golems are treated like Permanent Magic Items.
Golems may only be created by 12th level -or higher- Magic users and Clerics.
Golem creation is a hard, costly and difficult process: add together the number of Hit Dice and asterisks of the Golem type to be created.
This is used as the Golem's spell level.
The cost of animating a golem is 2500 gp per spell level; time required is five weeks plus ten days per level.
The chance of success is reduced by (40+(5 per spell level))% .
An Amber golem would be considered an 11th level spell costing 27500gp and inflicting a -95% penalty to the research roll.
Trying to build such a golem would take 145 days of work.
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

I like both the text for traps and magic item recharging

just my 2 cents:

on TRAPS) better don't make attack for traps.
the reason: if you make an attack roll you transform the trap in a monster but more problematic you infringe on the Saving Throw area, in particular you are stating that armored character are better at avoiding that particular trap.

on ITEM Recharging) what about letting lower level character recharge item? They are not creating it (and they can create other single use item at 7th and scroll even before).

so instead of:
"The spellcaster must be of at least 9th level."

I propose:
"The spellcaster must be able to cast the highest level spell into the item."

btw: this would mean that a wand of Magic Missile can be recharged by a 1st level Magic-User IF he know Magic Missile.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Fabio_MP wrote:on TRAPS) better don't make attack for traps.
the reason: if you make an attack roll you transform the trap in a monster but more problematic you infringe on the Saving Throw area, in particular you are stating that armored character are better at avoiding that particular trap.
This is exactly why we do give some traps an AB rather than a saving throw. Attacks that involve swinging weapons, for instance, would be easier to survive if in armor. When the ceiling falls on you, that's a saving throw.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

artikid wrote:A couple of ideas for the next core rules version
Recharging magic items
I'm thinking about this one. Like Fabio, I don't like the level requirement, and honestly I'm not sure about the rest. But I'll take it under consideration... obviously, we need something here.
artikid wrote:Making golems and other constructs
Not in the Core Rules, but would be appropriate as a supplement. That way, the golem rules could be hammered out (balance checked, etc.) without having detrimental effects on the Core Rules.

'Cause, when I release 3E, it'll be a minimum of five years before I'm willing to even talk about a new edition. Mistakes I make now will haunt me that long.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Solomoriah wrote:
artikid wrote:Making golems and other constructs
Not in the Core Rules, but would be appropriate as a supplement.
That would be a really cool supplement.