Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by Solomoriah »

Sure, jump in!

For extra credit: Check the R76 document to see how many of the errata are corrected there.

(Taskmaster... pshaw. :D )
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Solomoriah wrote:Sure, jump in!

For extra credit: Check the R76 document to see how many of the errata are corrected there.

(Taskmaster... pshaw. :D )
Taskmaster, neh :)

Ok I will begin the compilation. Also, I had posted awhile back (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=646&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20#p16170) about a new Harpy drawing along with maybe some others. If Shonuff hasn't already done it I'd still like to work on an image for that one and others...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Shonuff, you listening?

:D
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

Solomoriah wrote:Shonuff, you listening?

:D
Yup. that's fine with me. i'll mark it off the list.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Working on the Field Guide and my Familiar document concurrently, looking for familiar type creatures. I came across Pixie, which is listed as having 1*** HD, but in reading the description I don't really see how that is warranted. I went to a 1e book to look up their version, and saw that in addition to the qualities of Invisibility (one of those *), they list a host of (fairly powerful) magical powers, and even sleep arrows. This has led me to believe that perhaps some portions were omitted in their development for BFRPG.

Thoughts? Perhaps this grades as errata to be fixed?

I reviewed Labyrinth Lord for another take, and their version is fairly consistent with the BFRPG version, making me think the *** needs to just be one such * (and XP modified accordingly to 37xp).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, that's probably the way to do it.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

LibraryLass wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:I would readily accept scale mail armor as given. It should be as heavy, or nearly so, as chainmail; it's not a preferred armor type for most characters for a reason. I'm not sold on any of the in-between types listed between chainmail and platemail, though.
What about Brigandine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine
I've always had a special fondness for the stuff.
:D Yeah Brig! Hi there.

This poses and interesting question. Scale-as-written in the current supplements is heavier than chain - by weight and armor class (Three AC 16 armors and you don't like any of them? ;) ).

We've gone a few rounds on brigandine, and it tends to fall in with studded leather (in all actuality, studded leather is probably supposed to be brigandine - the descriptions tend to line up). If it doesn't make core, we have a home for it.

Solo - assuming you switch scale to the not-quite-chain version, what sort of profile would you like to see in the chain-plus/not-quite-plate range?
Go with a smile!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It's not a question of profile... it's more a question of archetype.

I can't remember ever reading a story where the hero put on brigandine, or banded armor, or whatever; heros wear plate, or they wear chainmail, and sneaky thiefy characters wear leather or other quiet forms of protection.

This is why I'm not even convinced that more types are in any way better. I don't see a fictional basis for the extra types, and as far as a historical basis, the historical record is hardly reliable on the subject.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Yeah, that's probably the way to do it.
The Pixie issue mentioned (incorrect * assignment and their XP value accordingly) makes me think that it would be prudent for somebody to do a critter by critter check. It is likely that there are other such snafu misses that just have not been looked for (much less found). These sort of things require a systematic review.

Anyhow, not looking for additional stuff for myself... but a volunteer might find a niche to fill by doing such a systematic review.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Sounds like spreadsheet work.

I'm game.
Go with a smile!