Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlMan

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by AlMan »

Hate to bring this up after so many years that its been in print.

The Black Dragon and Blue Dragon descriptions have breath weapon as line but the widths given are the same as the cone breath for the dragons that have a cone (Red, Gold and White).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

:D

Page 70, third full paragraph: "There are three shapes (or areas of effect) which a dragon's breath weapon can cover. Each variety has a “normal” shape, which that type of dragon can use from the second age category (-2 hit dice) onward. Upon reaching the sixth age category (+2 hit dice), a dragon learns to shape its breath weapon into one of the other shapes (GM's option); at the seventh age category (+3 hit dice), the dragon is competent at producing all three shapes."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

While copying out the spell descriptions, I saw a few things. Absolutely none of these are in any way important. Just pointing them out so that in some future edit while addressing something important they can also be updated (if desired). The only two that are even remotely annoying are the two spells (Find the Path and Speak with Dead) that are listed out of alphabetical order.

p21: Commune (and others): "extraplanar" should be hyphenated as it is an adjective. It should be "extra-planar".

p22: Cure Disease: First two words of the first sentence should be in bold.

p24: Find the Path should be listed prior to Find Traps. Whether you include the "the" in the alphabetical order test, Find the Path should be prior to Find Traps.

p25: Geas: The first word of the first sentence should be in bold. A couple other occurrences of "geas" could also be bold.

p26: Heal: The first word of the first sentence should be in bold.

p28: Levitate: The first word of the first sentence should be in bold.

p28: Magic Jar: The occurrence of "magic jar" in the first sentence should be in bold.

p30: Passwall: The first word of the first sentence should be in bold.

p32: Quest: The first word of the first sentence should be in bold. The first occurrence of "quest" in the second paragraph should also be in bold.

p34: Remove Curse: The first two words of the first sentence should be in bold.

p34: Shield: The first word of the first sentence should be in bold.

p35: Speak with Dead should come after Speak with Animals and before Speak with Monsters. It definitely should not come after Speak with Plants.

p38: Web: The first word of the first sentence should be in bold.

p39: Word of Recall: The first three words of the first sentence should be in bold.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:31 am :D

Page 70, third full paragraph: "There are three shapes (or areas of effect) which a dragon's breath weapon can cover. Each variety has a “normal” shape, which that type of dragon can use from the second age category (-2 hit dice) onward. Upon reaching the sixth age category (+2 hit dice), a dragon learns to shape its breath weapon into one of the other shapes (GM's option); at the seventh age category (+3 hit dice), the dragon is competent at producing all three shapes."
Also on page 70 under the shape descriptions:
Line Shaped: The breath weapon is 5' wide and extends the given length in a straight line.

For Black Dragon the current table shows:

Breath Weapon
Acid (Line)
Length
- 70' 80' 90' 95' 100' 100'
Width
- 25' 30' 30' 35' 40' 45'

The table should show:

Breath Weapon
Acid (Line)
Length
- 70' 80' 90' 95' 100' 100'
Width
- 5' 5' 5' 5' 5' 5'

For Blue Dragon the table shows:

Breath Weapon
Lightning (Line)
Length
- 80' 90' 100' 100' 110' 120'
Width
- 30' 35' 45' 50' 55' 60'
Which should be:

Breath Weapon
Lightning (Line)
Length
- 80' 90' 100' 100' 110' 120'
Width
- 5' 5' 5' 5' 5' 5'
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You aren't getting the point, Al. When a black or blue dragon reaches the age category where it can do a cloud or a cone, how would you know how wide it was supposed to be?

Line-type breath weapons are always 5' wide, so we don't give that figure anywhere; the width is expressly provided for use when the dragon is old enough.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Pg. 28 Protection from Evil spell name misaligned
Pg. 32 Speak with Animals spell name misaligned
Pg. 32 Speak with Monsters spell name misaligned

I'm not sure if the alignment was adjusted for these so the spell name would fit, like for Protection from Evil 10' Radius* and others, but I think the spell name will fit for the 3 spells I mentioned above.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Those spells don't fit, due to the clearances for tabs in the software. So it's not misaligned... those are done that way by design. Some of the other spell references put the name above all the fields so they all look like that.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:10 pm Those spells don't fit, due to the clearances for tabs in the software. So it's not misaligned... those are done that way by design. Some of the other spell references put the name above all the fields so they all look like that.
Got it! I figured it was something like that.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
PerformanceChecks

Post by PerformanceChecks »

I've seen a lot of people wondering how the percentages are supposed to be rolled. Could there be some errata about that somewhere clearing that issue up?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Page 2 "Using The Dice" tells how to make percentile rolls.

Or are you referring to things like "there is a 45% that a guard is at the door", "a 30% chance of encountering a creature"?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/