In which LibraryLass posts some monsters

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: In which LibraryLass posts some monsters

Post by SmootRK »

nice stuff. When I get back to proper development mode (wrapping up a move and change of living arrangements) I will surely get more of your stuff into the Field Guide.

I like the Angels, though we have tried to stay away from 'detailing' the higher powers of goodness (on purpose). There is a small discussion between folks, me, and Solo regarding that somewhere. My search-fu is not so good though. Very different views on such matters. I am on the side of it being fine, Solo on the side of having little or no detail of such beings (though they exist, just not in quantitative terms), and others with differing views based upon religion or other such delicate aspects.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

I figure that if nothing else they're worth statting out in case one ever wants them as allies.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

LibraryLass wrote:I figure that if nothing else they're worth statting out in case one ever wants them as allies.
That was exactly my consideration as well... not much different than good dragons or other good creatures in my mind. Plot devices, more often as allies that fight alongside the heroes than as adversaries to defeat.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Inspired, of course, by the 4e Lamia.

Vermin Queen
No: appearing: 1, Wild 1d3, Lair 1d3
Alignment: Chaotic
Movement: 40', Fly 20'
Armor Class: 13
Hit Dice: 6***
Attacks: 2 or 1 (2 Claws or weapon)
Damage: 1d6/1d6 or weapon
Save: MU6
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: F
Exp: 665

A Vermin Queen is a swarm of horrid, intelligent black beetles with the ability to assume the guise of a beautiful human or demihuman. They use their talent for disguise to waylay travelers in order to devour their flesh and steal their skins and their memories. When a Vermin Queen eats a living human, demihuman, or humanoid creature, another beetle is born to the swarm. When the swarm gets too big to comfortably fit into a human skin, half of it splits off and becomes a new vermin queen. The mother swarm typically deposits the daughter swarm in the body of its next victim in order to provide it with its first disguise.

A Vermin Queen can freely change between a humanoid form and swarm form once per round. The touch of a Vermin Queen in either form paralyzes, much like a ghoul, and it never takes more than 1d4 damage from weapon attacks. While in swarm form, a Vermin Queen fights just like an insect swarm apart from its HD, morale, saves, and paralysis ability.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

It doesn't look like many, or any, of these made it into the Field Guide. Let's work and correct that. :) I can collate and review all of your postings, but go ahead and let me know if there's certain ones you'd prefer over others, any you feel need some more polish first, etc. For the ones you've already posted, don't worry about the FG's Aug 1 submission deadline.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Anything goes. :)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Ok I'm gonna get these collated into an ODT with rough formatting. I may need to leave the angel out, I know on the Core 3E thread or such Solo mentioned not having those in (I could be wrong?).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, I'd like to omit the angels.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Do won't to stir up controversy, but couldn't you just change the name to ease away from religious beliefs? After all, the Field Guide had some Fiends in it, didn't it? Or were those taken out?
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Possibly. I'd have to see how you go about it. And of course, it's up to LL as they're her creatures.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org