Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
karnypharax

Re: Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Post by karnypharax »

chiisu81 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:25 pm Can you elaborate on its physical appearance; is it simply a jaw-less animated corpse/zombie or more?
The last paragraph needs some clarification. Do you mean "1 HD for each spell level"? Gains the saving throws of a Fighter? Since its base save is as a Fighter: 1, is that a temporary "boost" when a spell is consumed?
I was thinking something like a plain old zombie (at first glance), with the absence of the jaw.

Never gave any thought to duration. The spells remain in the runes until cast or consumed and then I guess the nourishment of 1HD per level of the spell and the creatures saves reflecting that of a fighter of equal spell level would only last a day.

I also neglected to mention my version of the creature had 2 (TWO) runes/glyphs on the hands.
owlhorn68

Post by owlhorn68 »

ok i'm new here has there been a formula made for creating monsters????
and is there a thread for creating monsters as characters
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

No real "formula", per-se. Easiest way is to check an existing creature that might be close to what you want to create, and go from there. We can always help you hammer out the details. 8-)

There is the "Monsters as PCs" on the Downloads page:
https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#monstersaspcs
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Take it as an Art rather than a science, no rules besides maintaining BFRPG's format and rules, there some unwritten creation rules tho (like no more than 2 asterisks except very few exception, HP bonus limit, etc)
Grab you want to convert, check that its not on the forum or supplements (it might be under a different name), and then convert if needed, don't be afraid of changing rules as to better fit the core game.
If your monster is from an open source, then that info must be added on the credits.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
owlhorn68

Post by owlhorn68 »

ok so here what i got
Minotaur as a PC
7' tall human torso and arms. bull's head and legs
+2 to AC thick hide
Minimum 14 strength and constitution
Maximum 14 Intelligence and charisma
keen scent of smell +20% to tracking
acute sense of direction never gets lost
Hides at +20% because of his maze and under-dwelling
Charge: his first move into combat He moves in then Gores 1D8+str. mod. (HORNS)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

owlhorn, I moved your previous post to the Monsters as PCs thread (and also check the New Races Supplement that Dimirag linked).

This thread is for monsters to go into adventures, Field Guides, etc. Not for PCs.
owlhorn68

Post by owlhorn68 »

can anyone explain the HD conversion a little simpler i've tried several times but no dice?
owlhorn68

Post by owlhorn68 »

never mind i figured it out thanks
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Is this for discussing home made monsters or the standard monsters from BFG 1 & 2 and BFGCR (I think those are the shortened terms)?
But if it's for standard, then flesh golem is over powered when you're a new character. Especially for Magic Users. My current group (kinda running a little bit of morgansfort and my own stuff) ran into a flesh golem, and it never died because they all used storm sabers on it.
So should that lightning bolt / lightning damage be something to worry about or not? I know I have only used them twice, but both times the group was nearly killed (in fact the thief died)
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

New characters should not be facing flesh golems. Since they are generally used as, well, muscle for wizards, you'd usually only see one in a wizard's stronghold (House of Coldarius, for example) or in a deep dungeon level.

Also, storm sabres?

This effectively long-dead thread is about how to convert monsters from other OGL sources or from myth or fiction to BFRPG. I do wonder now if it still needs to be a sticky. Guys?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org