Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Monster Creations and Conversions Discussion

Post by Dimirag »

@Pirate GM13: Old School monsters are not meant to be balanced per se, nor against other opponents, its a matter of the GM knowing how the party is composed and when to add certain monsters and to the players to know (and learn) when to fight, when to avoid it and when to run.

@Solo: I say let this dead thread be non-sticky so it can lay to rest.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:13 am New characters should not be facing flesh golems. Since they are generally used as, well, muscle for wizards, you'd usually only see one in a wizard's stronghold (House of Coldarius, for example) or in a deep dungeon level.

Also, storm sabres?

This effectively long-dead thread is about how to convert monsters from other OGL sources or from myth or fiction to BFRPG. I do wonder now if it still needs to be a sticky. Guys?
Ah Ok (both what the thread it for and and the flesh golem problem). Then what about dark elves, or drow? I haven't seen mention of them before.
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Dimirag wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:43 am @Pirate GM13: Old School monsters are not meant to be balanced per se, nor against other opponents, its a matter of the GM knowing how the party is composed and when to add certain monsters and to the players to know (and learn) when to fight, when to avoid it and when to run.

@Solo: I say let this dead thread be non-sticky so it can lay to rest.
Oooooh Ok.
And I guess if no one really posts here then you should exile it from the sticky clan.
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
owlhorn68

Post by owlhorn68 »

Is there any demon monsters? or have i just over looked them. i need a saving throw for a demon having an infernal tail damage that causes damage every turn until healed
Any ideas???
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Because BFRPG largely ignores alignments and a specific structure of planar regions, all such demons, devils and the like are lumped together as infernal beings. Up to GM to further refine such into specific niches (such as specifically Demons). I find the blurred lines to be better, as I don't use the traditional planar structure (from previous games/editions) anyhow; instead choosing a structure based upon Norse place-names, connected thru Yggdrasil (essentially like a conduit region like an astral or ethereal plane). I can insert those infernals wherever it seems appropriate, whether Hel, Nilfelheim, Svartalheim, or wherever/sub-region between such dark places.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
owlhorn68

Post by owlhorn68 »

so could i just use poison saving throw like a giant scorpion
tail ????
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

owlhorn68 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 pm so could i just use poison saving throw like a giant scorpion
tail ????
You can if you want
Check Chiisu's Monster Index to find the Infernals, maybe one of them have the special ability you are looking for, but its not hard to simply create.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

owlhorn68 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 pm so could i just use poison saving throw like a giant scorpion tail ????
If it's poison, then you save vs. Poison. But you said "infernal tail damage" and that tells us nothing, really. What kind of infernal tail damage? Is this something special in your campaign?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
teaman

Post by teaman »

Another thing to consider when homebrewing monsters: the saving throw categorized can be considered more generally. That helps with deciding what to use. Here's one interpretation, folks can certainly add, adjust or clarify as needed:

DEATH/POISON = Anything that gets injected, ingested, or inhaled
DRAGON BREATH = Most reflex actions against area attacks
WANDS = Getting out of the way of more directed attacks (like beams or arrow traps)
PARALYSIS/PETRIFY = Magical effects that immobilize you
SPELLS = Magical, divine, and mental attacks

Just my two cents. And that's about what it's worth, probably.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games