Basic Fantasy Core Rules auf Deutsch - German Translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Argamae

Re: Basic Fantasy Core Rules auf Deutsch - German Translation

Post by Argamae »

lars_alexander wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:59 am Hello, Argamae!

That's good news! Start a new thread for the translation of BF1 Morgansfort, and attach the files to the first post.

All the best to you!
Thanks a bunch!
Random find of an error in the German BFRPG rulebook while flipping through its pages: in the chart on page 68 ("Lasttiere") the header "Pferd, Zug-" appears twice. One should be "Pferd, Reit-".
Fie upon the girlie men who are adverse to having encounters with random monsters!
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

Hi, Argamae!

I thought I had already caught and corrected that mistake. In R20 it has been corrected, although that version is not yet on the download page (that's R15). I'll post the updated pdf file to the first post of this thread, later today.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake!
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

I updated the first post to this thread to include the PDF of r20 of the German BF Core Rules.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Guess I need to get this uploaded...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Uploading.

I wish I could get the flow figured out for this one. Not being able to read German is kind of limiting. If I could work out the flow and get the layout corrected I'd put this into print.

BTW looks like the title for the Alphabetical Index is set in SoutaneBlack Bold. Generally, you should not boldface SoutaneBlack as it gets kind of muddy. It's already bold, after all. Sometimes this seems to happen "automatically" with some text styles, and you just have to fix it when it does.
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

Let me know what you need to know, and then we'll figure out the flow. The bold SoutaneBlack was probably introduced by mistake when I updated the entries for the alphabetical index.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Getting the layout flow right is an art, not a science, and I'm afraid I can't actually tell you what I need to know. Understanding the text is necessary for my process; even knowing as I do that the information is presented in the same order in your translation doesn't help that much. I struggled through the Italian layout, but Italian, while more wordy than English, is still less wordy than German.

Places where text "falls off" to a new page at the end of a section is the worst part. You end up with a mostly-empty page. The trick is to remove or add art so that the last page of the section is either adequately full, or the text is pulled back up to the previous page and the extra page disappears. It's more complicated when the art goes with the text, like monster pics for example, or the lantern picture that is close to the section on light.

Teaching layout is something I've never succeeded at, but I suspect it might be easier than me actually doing the layout for German. Or Russian, for that matter.
gosimedes

Post by gosimedes »

Hello,
I have just downloaded the current German version. Because I wanted to include house rules, I tried to edit the ODT file. However, a large part of the content seems to be secured against editing, e.g. spells.
Am I doing something wrong?
Now begins the killing, followed by light salad...
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

I just downloaded a copy of it just now and couldn't find anything locked, spells and everything else I tried edited just fine. The only thing you cannot manually change is the table of contents that I could find, because thats automatically generated.

It may be worth getting a fresh download of the ODT
No matter where you go...there you are
gosimedes

Post by gosimedes »

Thanks for your reply, though it doesn't solve my problem.
I followed your advice and downloaded the file (Basic-Fantasy-RPG-Rules-r107-de20.odt) again.

When I try to edit it says:
"Write-protected contend cannot be changed. No modifications will be accepted."
(see attached screenshot)

The file itself is not protected, only large parts of the content. Starting with the spell descriptions.

Any other ideas someone?
PS: I'm using Libre Office 7.4.3.2
Attachments
2023-01-22 11_24_27-Read-Only Content.png
2023-01-22 11_24_27-Read-Only Content.png (10.57 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Now begins the killing, followed by light salad...