Basic Fantasy Core Rules auf Deutsch - German Translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG auf Deutsch - German Translation

Post by Solomoriah »

Just an update... I have had a volunteer come along who wants to review your translation, and I'm hopeful you're good with that. I'll pass along any comments or questions here.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

Let's get this thing proof-read, polished and printed. :)
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

A minor correction for the German translation: HeptorColeslaw caught a typo that resulted in the German cave locusts to deal 1d20 hit points of damage instead of 1d2. A minor typo causing potentially major issues for cave delving adventurers...

Here's the updated tablet-friendly version:
https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=118

The core rules version Basic_Fantasy_RPG_Rules-r107-ger14.pdf is now attached to the first post of this thread.
@Solomoriah: I'll send you a link to the updated Basic_Fantasy_RPG_Rules-r107-ger14.odt file the size of which exceeds the 50 MB upload limit.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Man, those German cave locusts... gotta watch out for them, they're HARDCORE.

:D

I'll get this taken care of soon. Thanks!
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

HeptorColeslaw found some mistakes that were corrected for r15 of the German Core Rules, such as an unsorted equipment list. I've added the monsters and spells to the document structure for easier pdf navigation, as well.

The first post of this thread has been updated with the attachment of the new pdf version: Basic_Fantasy_RPG_Rules-r107-ger15.pdf

@HeptorColeslaw: I've added you to the proof-readers. If you want to be credited by another name, just post a reply here.

@Solomoriah: I'll send you an updated link to the ODT-File.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

3rd Edition Core Rules German Translation, Version 15 -- August 02, 2021
Alexander-Lars Dahlmann has provided this 3rd Edition German translation of the Core Rules. It's not a print release candidate... way too much stuff to fix first. But textually it should be pretty solid now.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#corerules3

Alex, with your next version let's change the suffix to follow the same convention as other translations, that is, the international standard two-letter abbreviation. So the next would would be -de16, for example. I left this as is for the moment, but we should change it.
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

@Solomoriah: Thank you! I'm glad the complete German translation is on the the download page, now. :D
Rorschachhamster

Post by Rorschachhamster »

Congratulations! It's cool to see some more German Love for Old School Games. :D
chiisu81

Re: Basic Fantasy Core Rules auf Deutsch - German Translation

Post by chiisu81 »

Edited thread title, as there's now another general German translation thread.
Guennarr

Re: Basic Fantasy Core Rules auf Deutsch - German Translation

Post by Guennarr »

Congratulations to the German version of Basic Fantasy! :-)

Regarding feedback for the translation: I really enjoyed reading the rules. Call me "über-sensitive" after playing D&D inspired games for 30 years (mostly in German) and translating D&D inspired games for more than 10 years, but I noticed some clear rule term deviations. This is sad cosidering the claimed compatibility to everything D&D like - for these expressions were translated uniformly during all iterations of the game during the last 30 years.

So maybe it is possible to adapt these few rule terms to really make German Basic Fantasy "blindly" usable next to any adventure of previous editions? (and sorry in case I chose the wrong thread/ communcation channel for this feedback).
Samples:
  • English - standard rule term - BFRPG term currently used
    - ability - Attribut - Eigenschaft
    - strength - Stärke - Kraft (this one bugs me most, never read "Kraft" in any D&D iteration)
    - black pudding - Schwarzer Blob - Schwarzer Pudding (?!)
    - blink dog - Flimmerhund - Flackerhund (minmale deviation)
    - bugbear - Grottenschrat - Schauergestalt (never met that translation in German D&D like games)
    - spell - Zauber - Spruch ("Umgangsdeutsch" --> various combined rule expressions affected)
    - gelatinous cube - Gallertwürfel - Gelatinewürfel (?!)
    - Gray Ooze - Grauer Schlick - Grauer Modder
    - ochre jelly - Ockergallerte - Ockergelee (?)
    - spectre - Schreckgespenst - Spukgestalt
    - treant - Baumhirte - Trent (Lord of the Rings!!)
    - wight - Grottenschrat - Wicht ("Wicht" = Dwarf!)
    - wyvern - Wyvern - Geflügelter Lindwurm (outdated, some D&D spin offs introduced linnorm = Lindwurm, so that expression is not availabile any more).
    - wraith - Todesalb - Geist (that one is just wrong, how would you translate "Ghost"?)
Back to the first sentence: I am really deligted that this great game is finally available to German speaking players! Please consider my input to be optimizational input - this list of expressions is short in comparision to your total rule terms list! :-)

Cheers,
Günther