Ability Score Progression

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Delver

Re: Ability Score Progression

Post by Delver »

I run a BFRPG game over on RPoL.net and I've got a group of 1st level chars that are just about to level up. I've been thinking about allowing ability score progression for a couple of reasons.

First, I use the old system of rolling under the ability score for raw checks and using the ability chart for checks that involve a skillful application of the trait. (For an explanation of this, I'm planning to post in the other forum thread) This is a hybrid of throwback to B/X and more current BFRPG. So far it works well. I feel that it rewards high attribute scores directly (the higher the ability, the easier it is to accomplish the task or whatever) and it balances with ability modifiers which tend to level the playing field a bit between those that have high and low attribute scores. So... if I allow for abilities to be advanced, then I'm allowing for characters that may have actually gotten stronger or more dextrous from drudging through that swamp, or may have gained wisdom or smarts through study, trials and errors, or who may have improved their speaking skills or singing voice with practice. Many of you might argue that as 'Experience', but I feel experience is the application of one's abilities and thus subtly... different. ;)

Second, some players are powergamers. There's nothing wrong with that, that's how they like it. Improving abilities allows them to strategize, plan and scheme the way they are wont in order to have the advantages when the time comes. The caveat I ask for in PbP is asking them to justify it through narration.

If any of you remember the old CRPG's like Wizardry and The Bard's Tale, you will recall that at each level there was an opportunity to advance abilities. They had an algorithm tied to the age of the character with likely improvement up to their 'prime' and then likely decline afterwards as they became more feeble in mind and body.

If a character was prematurely aged for some reason, their abilities were affected as well at the next levelup! In Wizardry, everyone wanted to 'unlock' the elite classes by having a character qualify with pre-reqs. I agonized for years trying to build up a char that had the stats to become a 'Ninja'. I think those games, and others, are where I fell in love with the idea of altering ability scores at level up. That is, up or down.

So here's how I think I'm gonna try it for this current game...

The players will have an option at level up.
1) They may take the 'no risk method' and improve ONE attribute by one point,

or

2) they may tempt fate by rolling for each ability. If they meet or roll under their current score, the stat improves by one point. If they roll over their current score, they risk a decrease and must reroll. If the reroll result is under or equal, then the ability remains the same for the current level, if they roll over a second time, then it decreases by 1 point!

I'm hoping that this will cover the gamblers, powergamers, and those who want to play it safe.

One more thought on improving attribute scores is that until 17's and 18's are reached, an ability bonus will only come every third or second level up, again balancing them out a little.

I mostly Lurk here, but I'm hoping to share more of my ideas from time to time along with my successes and failures. Anyway, those are my thoughts, and I'd love to hear yours.
"...It's up to the players to make cool characters and a cool story, and work with you rather than against you to do that. If they can't or won't do that, they are not doing their job as players." - Longman
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have used an Ability Score Progression rule for quite some time... although I use it in conjunction with an Ability Score Array rather than rolling 3d6 (or other roll schemes). Because of the use of the array (which has a range like 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7), the ability to progress the abilities works well. It is essentially as somebody else described above, every level divisible by 5 (5, 10, 15, 20) gets to raise one ability of their choice by 1 point, with humans getting this function at each level divisible by 4 (4, 8, 12, 16, 20).

In addition, I use a slightly altered ability score bonus schema. All of this can be found in my house rules document, right on the first page for most of this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5iDVt ... sp=sharing
Feel free to utilize any portions of my rule tweaks in your own gaming efforts.

Another little tidbit involved with this is that my races have more stringent ability score requirements which helps temper this whole thing a bit.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
DiceClown

Post by DiceClown »

Hywaywolf wrote:One of the difference between old school and new school is the difference between Batman and Superman. Batman doesn't get stronger or smarter, he just gets better toys and more experience. An old school player would never be able to kill a dragon unarmed and unarmored. they would need all their tools. But some modern games actually make players, even unarmed and unarmored, like superhumans.
I am with you Hyway. I am trying to play BF with players in their early 20's and having to explain why a Halfling at 1st level cannot obtain a 20 strength by the time their 20th level. Raising attributes makes very little sense while gaining experience makes a lot of sense. I know many average strength MMA fighters who can obliterate the strongest of opponents.
DiceClown

Post by DiceClown »

However, Smoot has a workable solution that I could buy into. Let me think on this one...Gosh I love this forum, good stuff!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I've often found that someone else can have a good idea and it not be right for me. That's why there are so many genres in a bookstore. Doesn't mean I won't play that way if I join there game. heck, I hate the BTB shooting into melee rule using all of your bonues as if you intended to hit your comrade if you missed the enemy. But I will still play it that way if the DM hasn't houseruled it.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

If you go with a level based ability score increase its better if you use the 3.x kind of ability mod array as to prevent higher ability from increasing its mod faster.

Buying ability with XP is a nice idea, just give and XP value to each ability score, some characters will use xp to level up while other will use it to better some ability. This kind of copies the "prime attribute xp bonus" from other games.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/