BFRPG Running Speed x2 vs. x3 (and Wilderness Evasion)

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
seandon4

BFRPG Running Speed x2 vs. x3 (and Wilderness Evasion)

Post by seandon4 »

So this last year, I've had a few opportunities to work on the art of handling evasion and pursuit in the wilderness.

So far, the main thing, is to track the distance between the pursuer and the pursued each round (like on Excel or notepaper), so if pursuer (stops running) and attempts to fire an arrow or cast a spell, I can see if they're still in range. If the pursued hits a snag (change in terrain, tight turn), then give them a save to evade (or use the more advanced Chance of Evasion table from B/X or DMG)...

And it became clear to me that BFRPG opted for the OD&D/1e "running is 2x" instead of B/X "running is x3." Understandably, this may have been because other OSR systems already used x2.

It's not really a big deal if it's x2, though the difference could add up given a larger pursuit, the situation doesn't come up so often -- and an easy rule to change.

But the beauty of "running is x3" is that it fits perfectly with the "indoors is feet x1, outdoors is yards (feet x3); encounter is x1, turn is x3; movement is x1, running is x3" model. And it's perfectly compatible with B/X modules, where MV is given in 60 (180) format.

I doubt this is something that will be changed in BFRPG 3e, but was wondering if there were any thoughts on it for BFRPG. EDIT: wondering if it should be changed in 3e.