Lets talk of dragons

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Jandolar

Lets talk of dragons

Post by Jandolar »

Do dragons in BFRPG have a % of magic resistance? In games I've run in the past all dragons had a % of magic resistance of 10% per age category. I.E. an age category 4 dragon was 40% resistant to magic. Now what I did was when ever a spell cast by a magic user happened to get past the innate resistance of the dragon in combat I'd multiply the mages spell damage by the dragons age category. Dragons are in essence magical and as such (to my mind) more damaged by magical attacks when/of they pierce the innate resistance such beasts have to magic.

Differing thoughts?
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Hywaywolf

Re: Lets talk of dragons

Post by Hywaywolf »

oh crap!
Woe

Post by Woe »

Nope. In BFRPG, dragons do not have magic resistance. Luckily for the party of adventurers anxiously reading this thread.

:D
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I don't see a problem adding magic resistance to dragons in BFRPG (the XP should be adjusted however). I don't like the added damage if the spell penetrates the magic resistance, it doesn't really make sense, but that is just my take on it.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I haven't used dragons yet in my games in a combat manner (roleplaying encounter is another matter) but wouldn't it be easier to just convert it to a +2 per age category for saves? This would give them their inherent magical resistance while staying closer to the core rules.

This is already used somewhat with dwarves and other races.

Sometimes simpler is better.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I don't like the Magic Resistance thing, but you can use it without any problems and can eve change the percentage per hit dice based on the dragon or make it random.

Alternative ways could be a saving bonus, a second saving throw or go with a reduce effect from certain spells similar to their immunities.

You could even base the dragon's resistance based on the spell level or level of magic user (or both)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I prefer that dragons cower in fear when adventurers approach and turn over their horde if the party promises not to kill them. Can you fit that into your houserules?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The mechanics of magic resistance are wonky and just plain wrong, and will never grace the pages of any official supplement (i.e. never be on the Downloads page). It's one thing I always disagreed with 1E about.

You should never get two saving throws, but that's exactly what Magic Resistance is.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am with Solo on this. Magic Resistance, especially coming from 1e is a horrible mechanic.

If (and IF) I was to try to figure out a MR mechanic, I would more likely do it as a sort of Damage Reduction mechanic. Each age category reduces the damage per attack by that amount (minimum 1 point regardless). I could likewise see some sort of 1 round (or particular unit if in turns, hours, days, etc) reduction in duration for each age category for those spells that have duration based detriments (again, minimum 1 round/unit of effect).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Longman

Post by Longman »

I dislike magic resistance as an idea generally and I'm not sure at all about the 'extra damage once the resistance is breached' idea. But I do like the idea of dragons having specific weaknesses the party can exploit.

I see that many of the dragons in the Core Rules have immunities or take half damage from fire, cold or whatever thing equates to their breath weapon. But there is no mention of specific vulnerabilities for dragons.

Maybe you could add in vulnerabilities - reds take 2x from cold, whites 2x from heat, etc. For the less obvious ones (what's the opposite of poison gas?), you might invent a particular vulnerability and give some clues as to what it might be.

I always liked how the dragon Yvaud was brought down by Ged in the Wizard of Earthsea, because Ged knew his true name.