Your Favorite non-BFRPG adventure modules

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
mTeasdale

Your Favorite non-BFRPG adventure modules

Post by mTeasdale »

I'm looking for some suggestion for modules to play in my ongoing campaign. Players are now level 2-4, but can be of higher level too, I don't care waiting/adapting it. Systems that are easily converted would be nice too.

I prefer adventures with interesting plot twist or a bit of mystery if possible. My players really liked N1 : Against the Cult of the Reptile God and I'll be starting L2 : Assassin's knot next week.

Any suggestions ? Otherwise, just stating your favorite adventures and why you like them can probably be a fun topic and helpful for all of us DMs.
Metroknight

Re: Your Favorite non-BFRPG adventure modules

Post by Metroknight »

Go to dragonfoot.org and raid their resources aka modules there. I've used a wide variety of them to run my games. They have a decent variety of old school modules that you can run straight as is or convert.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

The Temple of Elemental Evil is a good one.. I also loved In Search of the Unknown.. Pretty easy to convert to BFRPG..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Of course Keep on the Borderlands stands out. I have used bits of both Morgansfort and KotB together (primarily KotB). And I have used KotB in mixed up ways; Humanoid characters going after the Keep.
Another coming from the basic line of adventures is the "Lost City".

Dwellers of the Forbidden City makes a great mini-campaign setting.

Village of Hommlett is a masterpiece, even without the rest of the Temple of Elemental Evil.

When characters get a few more levels, the Desert of Desolation series is wonderful... and another classic to utilize is the original Ravenloft module.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Thanks for the recommendations guys ! The original Ravenloft is an adventure I want to run since a long time, as well as Castle Amber.

The Lost City looks pretty good, but I have a doubt about the last encounter. It seems to be way (too ?) tough for characters of this level. What's your experience with Zargon ?

Also, anyone know of a adventure in a war/military setting ? Preferably with a human side versus a orc/goblin/hobgoblin side, but I can arrange things too if needed. I may need this soon, depending on the actions of my players.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I loved Dwellers of the Forbidden City. I think my group when we played as teenagers spent ages there - and the terrain map is really good.

Maybe have them level up on the way there so they start at 3-5?
artikid

Post by artikid »

As a GM I liked Baltron's Beacon quite a lot BITD.
I also liked to Find a King and The Bane of Llywelyn.
I was seriously underwhelmed by Tomb of the Lizard King.

As a player I have fond memories of Ravenloft, Keep on the borderlands, In search of the unknown, Lost city, and Master of the desert nomads.
I also have nice memories of the Dragonlance series (up to DL10, we did not get to end the series as the campaign blew up due to DM burn out), though I'm not a big fan.
I have mixed feelings about I3-5 (the pharaoh series).
artikid

Post by artikid »

Oh... Blade of Vengeance and Tree of Life were also pretty good to DM, although BOV is pretty much a railroad.
artikid

Post by artikid »

mTeasdale wrote: Also, anyone know of a adventure in a war/military setting ? Preferably with a human side versus a orc/goblin/hobgoblin side, but I can arrange things too if needed. I may need this soon, depending on the actions of my players.
The "Desert Nomads" series (X4 and x5) is what you are looking for, just change the nomads to humanoids.
You can also link it to "Red arrow, Black shield" (X10) if you are using Mystara/Known World and/or want something more like a fantasy World War.
Should be rather easy to adapt to any other setting though.
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

mTeasdale wrote:The Lost City looks pretty good, but I have a doubt about the last encounter. It seems to be way (too ?) tough for characters of this level. What's your experience with Zargon ?
The Lost City is great fun. We made it through Zargon, but I was pretty generous back in those days.