Spell Channeling Items

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Spell Channeling Items

Post by SmootRK »

I have already sent this off to Solomoriah to make into a supplement, but I thought I would give a sneak preview to those who frequent this forum.

Spell Channeling Items

Magical Spell Channeling Items are a different sort of magical item that allows a spell caster to convert the magical energies of currently memorized spells into another predetermined spell. For example, a Wand of Magic Missile Channeling would convert any other currently memorized first level spell into a Magic Missile spell cast as if the caster actually had that spell memorized instead. Such an items may appear as a wand, rod, ring, staff, or other appropriate form, often dictated by the effect. For instance, a Monocle of Detect Magic Channeling or a Crystal Ball of Clairvoyance Channeling.

Several examples of Spell Channeling Items are detailed later, but detailing each and every variation would be as unnecessary as detailed lists of each and every magic scroll possible. However there are some issues that should be discussed such as specific limitations or special cases. Divine (clerical) Spell Channeling Items are one such case. Additionally there are enhanced Spell Channeling Items that can augment or modify spell effects. Each case or exception is discussed below. In any case, the Game Master should design each item directly considering the spell effects carefully.
  • There are Arcane (Magic-User classes) and Divine (Clerical classes) Channeling Items. Such Arcane Spell Channeling Items are more common because Divine Spell Channeling Items are usually associated with a particular Deity, Power, or Pantheon and may not be usable by non-believers or non-worshipers. Even Clerics of one faith may not be able to utilize another faith’s items. This may vary according to the Game Master’s campaign and his or her ideas on how the divine powers interact with their followers.
  • A spell caster can only utilize a Spell Channeling Item that produces a spell that can be potentially cast by the user (as in it appears on his or her spell list). The character need not actually know the spell in question personally, but must be capable of casting the spell otherwise. This caveat occurs when additional supplement classes are used in the Game Master’s campaign (such as Illusionists or Necromancers). When the specific spell exists at differing spell levels for different classes, the spell is channeled according to the caster’s own spell list.
  • Spells spent to power a Spell Channeling Item must be of the appropriate level or higher, but no benefit is gained by using a higher level spell slot. For example, a Wand of Magic Missile Channeling (1st level spell) powered by a memorized Fireball spell (3rd level spell) still only produces a single instance of Magic Missile cast normally by the caster, wasting the extra energies.
  • Spells requiring additional materials must still have the necessary materials on hand for the spell to be produced. The memorized spell does not necessarily need the additional materials, but the Channeled Spell does.
  • Multi-Function items should follow a theme or otherwise be logical in their design. A magnifying glass item that channels various Detect Spells would be appropriate. However Slippers of Fire Ball and Ice Storm Channeling would be odd and likely not to work.
  • Enhancing items are possible. The most obvious would be increasing the effective caster level of the channeled spell. For example a Wand of Fireball Channeling +2 would allow a fifth level caster to cast the spell at 7th level with regard to damage, range, area of effect. Such enhancements should be very carefully considered.
Examples of Spell Channeling Items

Spell Channeling Items provide an alternative to many magical items that are charged. Charged Items provide a temporary big boost to the character, often to the point of imbalance. A standard Wand of Magic Missiles enables a Magic User to become very potent, at least until the charges expire, then is greatly reduced in power. A Channeling item, by virtue of being tied to the character’s existing casting expertise, scales with the character and simply provides the opportunity to be more creative with memorization of more esoteric spells. Rather than being prudent and memorizing one or more instances of ‘tried and true spells’ the character who owns one or more channeling items is freed from the necessity of memorizing that particular spell. Additionally, the item is permanent, not unlike a fighter’s magical weapon, always usable throughout their career. It is only outgrown as the usefulness of the spell wanes as the character acquires levels such as sleep spell after the character moves onto more challenging monster types. The following list of examples is not meant to constrain one’s imagination or to otherwise limit the possibilities, but as a quick starter.

Wands are especially appropriate for spells that directed or aimed.
Wand of Magic Missile Channeling - Magic Missile (1st)
Wand of Lightning Bolt Channeling - Lightning Bolt (3rd)
Wand of the Fire Lord - Fireball (3rd), Wall of Fire (4th), Conjure Elemental (5th, Fire Elemental only)

Rings, Amulets, Talisman, or similar items work well for non-directional effects or personal affecting items
Amulet of Protection from Evil Channeling - Protection from Evil (1st)
Ring of Transparency - Invisibility (2nd), Invisibility 10ft radius (3rd), Invisible Stalker (6th)
Talisman of Charm Channeling - Charm Person (1st), Charm Monster (4th), Geas (6th)
Holy Symbol of Bless Channeling (divine) - Bless (1st)

Various other items can be used as well.
Walking Stick of Doors - Hold Portal (1st), Knock (2nd), Dimension Door (4th), Passwall (5th). Also functions as +2 Magical weapon (Walking Staff). Rapping the stick against a door, wall, or floor is necessary to channel the various spells.
Spectacles of Detect Invisible - Detect Invisible (2nd)
Holy Relic of the Healer (divine) - Cure Light Wounds (1st), Cure Disease (3rd), Neutralize Poison (4th), Regenerate (6th)
Druid’s Staff (divine) - Charm Animal (2nd), Speak with Animal (2nd), Growth of Animals (3rd), Speak with Plants (4th), Insect Plague (5th). This item also functions as a club/cudgel/walking staff +2. If the optional druid subclass is utilized by the Game Master, then the spells may be of other levels determined by the druid spell list.
This general concept of items that transform one spell into another is not entirely new, appearing in one form or another in various game editions and supplemental material produced for various games, however, the idea is new for Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game. The mechanics presented here may be very similar to previous writings, but the explanations and presentation is entirely original
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MacLeod

Re: Spell Channeling Items

Post by MacLeod »

Sounds like a real stand up idea. :) I like the added versatility. :D

I use a variation on this for Clerics as an inherent ability, similar to how it works in D&D3.5... called Favored Spells, you get one for each Spell Level. Clerics may instantly convert memorized spells into their Favored Spell (Spell Levels must be the same, of course).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MacLeod wrote:Sounds like a real stand up idea. :) I like the added versatility. :D

I use a variation on this for Clerics as an inherent ability, similar to how it works in D&D3.5... called Favored Spells, you get one for each Spell Level. Clerics may instantly convert memorized spells into their Favored Spell (Spell Levels must be the same, of course).
I do that as well, based upon the Deity's primary role. I often add one or more appropriate spells to a Cleric's spell list. For instance a Cleric of Zeus might have shocking hand and lightning bolt available... a potent combatant when motivated properly.
MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

SmootRK wrote:I do that as well, based upon the Deity's primary role. I often add one or more appropriate spells to a Cleric's spell list. For instance a Cleric of Zeus might have shocking hand and lightning bolt available... a potent combatant when motivated properly.
I love how hackable the game is. :D

But hey... At high levels when the PCs have access to merchants that sell magical wares... how much would these Spell Channeling items cost?
Which reminds me, are there any hard coded rules for magical item cost in the core book? I only ask because the Treasure system creates certain levels of wealth. I just want to be fair is all.

Finally, I just ordered a copy of BFRPG!!! :D :D :D I'm pretty excited about it. :) :mrgreen: 8-)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I never, and I mean never, have Magic Item Shops. Stuff like that is never so common as to allow for a 'shop'. A magic item is often bartered away for other gear, or I might have certain NPCs who might be able to 'locate' certain items for a fee. A character who openly displays their items are simply advertising for my NPC thieves to pay them a visit.

That said, if I were to arbitrarily assign a value, I would need to consider that they do not expire like a similar item (wand for instance), but then again are useless to someone who cannot yet cast the appropriate spells. The basic cost for a scroll (if produced by the individual) is 500gp per level, not including allowance for the occasional mishap failed attempt, or resale markup considerations. Considering these factors, I would guess somewhere like 1000gp per spell level minimum and perhaps much more as multi-function items are produced... this would be production costs, resale would be much higher.

So we are looking at something like 1000gp per spell level of the combined powers, plus 1000gp for first extra power (on top of per spell-level costs), plus 2000gp for 2nd extra power, etc. I would estimate resale thoughts at double such figures (at least, otherwise it might not be worth the time of the magical researcher).

Somebody with better experience with magical research/magic item production rules might come up with better or more detailed information. The rules for magical research and item production start on page 143 of the core rules.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Magic shops aren't old school, IMO; so the game doesn't support them. Not to say that you can't have them in YOUR game.

I recommend never, ever letting the players know the "true value" of an item. They should never be sure... after all, in the real world it's impossible to be sure. By not printing pricing the the rules, I leave them in the dark.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

Heh, the only old school I actively recognize are sprite based JRPGs. ;)

But yeah, there isn't going to be a, "Giant Book of Prices, Magical Items Edition" lying around. :)

Oh, and I received my coil-bound book yesterday. :D Hurrah!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am with Solo, in that there should not even be a hard coded price for most items (except perhaps the lowest power ones such as minor potions and such). I don't even like to code in the production costs of items (unlike the core rules), so that I can instead have the production be much more role-playing oriented. A player desiring to create one would prepare his or her own instructions, detailing the materials he would use, money spent, and procedures he would follow... the more thought out instructions (with some semblance of logic - at least in a world of magical stuff) and the more effort put into the process by the character would have better odds of success.

That said, I think the above guidelines for 1000gp/spell levels, plus 2000gp for second power, plus 3000gp for third power, etc. is both close enough to be roughly accurate, and also simple enough of a calculation. It would at least suffice for my needs in approximating the costs to the aspiring mage.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MacLeod wrote:Heh, the only old school I actively recognize are sprite based JRPGs. ;)

But yeah, there isn't going to be a, "Giant Book of Prices, Magical Items Edition" lying around. :)

Oh, and I received my coil-bound book yesterday. :D Hurrah!
I finally bought my copies this morning... been using printed-off copies up until now (lucky to have good laser printer available). Got extras even so that I have a Christmas Present for my kids. Used a great lulu coupon code: FALLREADS (40% off but only good until Oct15 - maxes out at $20... but hey, $20 bucks).
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

I like spell channelling Items and they can be a good way to softly introduce flexibility in vancian magic

I am going to create a special item that bond with the caster for tomorrow Basic Fantasy rpg appreciation day