Basic Fantasy RPG Boxed Set? a.k.a. "Black Box Set"?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
arcbolt21

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Boxed Set? a.k.a. "Black Box Set"?

Post by arcbolt21 »

Aww~ Okay. Well I'll start making a couple of boxes in a few weeks. I'll post results and a few pics of me handing them out at an event.

Thanks for the heads up!
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Not that I can put too much information out there but I'm deploying overseas next year and I'm planning on making a "boxed set" like this to take with me when I go. Figure I might as well have something to enjoy on my down time, what better way to kill time than with some BFRPG! I've got some pallets made of oak that I'm going to plane down and make a box from with spaces for dice and pencils. Might stain it if I have time. I'll post up picks of the set in the sands over there.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
quozl

Post by quozl »

Solomoriah wrote:I got quotes from a couple of box-makers; the pricing is wildly variable, and not really cost-effective unless I buy a bunch of them.

Unless someone points out a reasonably-priced vendor, this project lies dead on the dungeon floor. Somebody loot its pockets...
Not sure what price you need for it to be cost-effective but you can get a plain box for $3 here or for $6 you can get a printed cover, sides, and back.

http://www.printplaygames.com/product/b ... ull-covers
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

quozl wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:I got quotes from a couple of box-makers; the pricing is wildly variable, and not really cost-effective unless I buy a bunch of them.

Unless someone points out a reasonably-priced vendor, this project lies dead on the dungeon floor. Somebody loot its pockets...
Not sure what price you need for it to be cost-effective but you can get a plain box for $3 here or for $6 you can get a printed cover, sides, and back.

http://www.printplaygames.com/product/b ... ull-covers
The cost of the box is just one aspect that helps determine the final cost of the whole project. Depending on who is building the sets will determine what cost effective means. Most business people will expect some type of profit for their work. You also have to review the fact that this is a niche system in a niche hobby. Could the total cost of the product be lowered enough to make the price be worthwhile for purchase? That I would not even know where to start looking at to get that type of information.

There is also just some of the following costs:
Labor (who is going to put the items in the box and ship it)
Shipping (depends on the method and where it goes. Some companies bundle the shipping cost into the product price while saying free shipping)
Material cost:
Dice (depending on the quality could become expensive)
Rule books (check lulu on that one and depends on what cover you want.)
Supplement books- if included (see above)
Packaging cost (the box)

I'm sure there is even more costs that go into a production of this type that I don't know.

I will say this go price everything yourself and total up the material cost then decide on your labor cost so you can get a rough amount of what it will cost. Now decide on how much profit you would like to have. Total the amount and that would be your bare minimum retail price roughly.

Would it be priced in a comfortable range that people would be willing to purchase?

What type of production load are you looking at (how many orders and for how long)?
Etc..

This is just a few questions you will have to answer if you are interested in doing this (or if anyone is interested)

If someone wants to spearhead this and research the various prices then provide links, it would be a nice individual effort project for people who want to create and give as gifts. This would lower the cost somewhat as there would be no labor cost and all the material cost would fall on the gift giver.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Always ALWAYS overestimate shipping costs. Whatever you're thinking, or even got a quote for the correct size AND weight from multiple carriers, double it. Believe me I know.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I did the math the other night, and a boxed set with my recommended contents (Core Rules, BF1, JN1, dice, and a screen) would have to bring in at least $40.00 to be worth handling, and that's not including the shipping. Heck, I'm not even sure I've included enough for the shipping box (to protect the pretty cover).

Besides all that, it's a hassle I can't undertake, honestly. Sorry, guys. I just don't have the time or energy to commit, and it will never be worth enough money to make a job of it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

If I have time, I'll play with the front/back cover of the core rules to come up with a front/back cover for the box from that print and play site. (i.e. "Don't buy this Box" instead of "Don't buy this book")

That way people who want could order their own boxes using "official" (assuming Solomoriah blesses the design) covers.

Then folks could assemble their on BFRPG boxes.

I'd spent $11 plus shipping (which is what I got when I did a 2" deep black box with printed front and back) on this for myself.

Also, I'm throwing the idea out there in case someone with more time wants to create the cover images more quickly.
Dustinian