Basic Fantasy RPG in a Computer RPG

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Basic Fantasy RPG in a Computer RPG

Post by Solomoriah »

I've had a number of questions lately about unusual uses of the Basic Fantasy RPG rules, specifically regarding the legality of using it in a computer RPG game. I'm going to run down the questions and answers here, so I can just point future questioners here.

The main question is whether or not the rules can be used in a computer, video, or mobile game (which from now on I'll describe as a CRPG). The OGL as written has requirements that would be difficult to properly implement in some of these games. If you create such a game, please email me at solomoriah@basicfantasy.org and ask for explicit permission; it's a formality, as I will almost certainly say yes, but it's needed to show agreement.

In any event, you will need to reproduce the entire OGL as part of your EULA text, which you must show to the player the first time they start the game and which the user must agree to. You must follow the OGL rules for declaring Product Identity and you must include your copyright statement in section 17, along with all the copyright statements of all the works you derive from (at least, the list in the OGL text at the end of the 3rd Edition rules).

The secondary question is, can you use the name "Basic Fantasy RPG" or its derivatives to describe your game? First, consult the Product Identity License which appears at the end of the 3rd Edition rules. You must, somehow, comply with these requirements as well, but if you do, you may do the things described there. If you want to use other artwork from the Project, you need direct approval from me, and I may have to seek approval from the original artist in some cases. This particularly applies to the 2nd/3rd edition cover art... don't use it without asking me.

Other questions:

What about if I want to add or remove some features of the rules (house rules)?
Strictly speaking, this is legal. However, while I'm agreeable to reducing the ruleset, I'm likely to deny permission to use my Product Identity if you plan to substantially alter my game by adding stuff.

What about if I wanted to produce it commercially?
If you can distribute the game legally, you can sell it, same as any other type of product done in compliance with the OGL and our PI license.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org