Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
rredmond

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by rredmond »

Pirate GM13 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:44 am Hello guys, just found out about basic fantasy a couple months ago, and gathered all my friends and tried it out.
My name is AJ, and I live in South Africa. Nice to meet you all. :D
Welcome AJ! You should post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1113

I think you are the first member I've seen from your continent!
Be well, glad you are here!
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Beowulf

Hello, World!

Post by Beowulf »

Hello, BFRPG forum! I'm Beowulf. Some of you might know me from Dragonsfoot where I've been a member since 2005. Only recently I discovered that BF had a forum, so here I am! I've been playing table top RPGs since around '78 or '79 but only got the BFRPG books a couple months ago. What a great blend of old school style with modern editing and layout! And what a bargain, too.

I look forward to learning more about the game system and working up a campaign.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Re: Hello, World!

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Welcome, Beowulf.

What flavor of old school are you most familiar with? DF is mainly a 1e AD&D forum but I know there's a lot of general grognards discussion there. If we know what your experience with D&D style games has been so far we can tell you specific ways BFRPG relates to that.
Beowulf

Re: Hello, World!

Post by Beowulf »

I got started in the late 70s and played Dungeons & Dragons. As newer versions of the boxes came out I kept "upgrading" or at least buying new ones. Like most kids at the time I "upgraded" to AD&D as that's kind of what the prevailing view was at the time; D&D was the intro, then as you learned the game you moved to AD&D. And my game was firmly fixed in AD&D until AD&D 2e came out. To me it was great since it added Unearthed Arcana and addressed things that I'd been using house rules to cover. For me, 2e was the peak but really it's not enough different from 1e to really get too worked up about.

WotC buying TSR was like the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs, at least in my view. Never played with or purchased any product after 2e. Outside of D&D/AD&D I played a few other games back in the day. Rifts, Torg, Gurps, Vampire the Masquerade and Warhammer 40k at various times. But primarily I would say I've been an AD&D guy.

It's hard to describe my relationship to "old school" as it seems to mean something different to me. The aspects that people seem to celebrate are more bugs than features IMO, the natural effects of no one really knowing how RPGs should work. Anyone that feels that the invention of the thief class ruined the game has zero in common with me. But I do like the relative simplicity of early editions of the game. When folks talk about rules-light games I get that, although IMO AD&D (1e and 2e) had about the level of rules to define the game without getting to carried away.

I guess I'm not hugely into OSR games for their own sake. To date I have OSRIC and For Gold & Glory, both just repackaging of the TSR products, purchased to stand in for books that most people don't have and can't find at a reasonable price. I've got all the stuff downloaded as well as many of the printed books. I have a few copies of White Box RPG (to get all the different covers, natch), too. But I do not have nor expect to buy all the OSR games out there.

BFRPG appeals to me a lot due to the flexibility, the fidelity to the spirit of the old games and the price. If one adds most of the supplemental material you get a pretty good whiff of AD&D, but it's easy to add just enough flexibility and texture the game without getting too bogged down in rules. And a big strength is that it's well supported with lots of development still going and tons of modules, etc. Lastly the price is great! There's no reason that someone should need to drop hundreds of dollars to get into a new game system.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Welcome Beowulf! DF is more a general board, this one is pretty specific! :D
Welcome and enjoy the community!
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Greetings everyone. I'm Prowler, a Swede who migrated all the way to Poland. I started playing RPG's some 20+ years ago, but have yet to experience any level-based games with XP, levels, armor class and all that jazz. My background lies in BRP-derivatives and similar systems. I'm a bit of a "filthy homebrewer", so hopefully I'll be able to contribute with some material or maps here. Being a long-time lurker on these forums, I really appreciate the open source concept of BFRPG and the collaborative nature of this forum.

Have a good one. :)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Prowler wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:17 am Greetings everyone. I'm Prowler, a Swede who migrated all the way to Poland. I started playing RPG's some 20+ years ago, but have yet to experience any level-based games with XP, levels, armor class and all that jazz. My background lies in BRP-derivatives and similar systems. I'm a bit of a "filthy homebrewer", so hopefully I'll be able to contribute with some material or maps here. Being a long-time lurker on these forums, I really appreciate the open source concept of BFRPG and the collaborative nature of this forum.

Have a good one. :)
Prowler - a self described lurker! Lol. Welcome to the light.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Hah, welcome Prowler!
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

SmootRK wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 am Prowler - a self described lurker! Lol. Welcome to the light.
Let's call a spade a spade, shall we? :)
rredmond wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:27 am Hah, welcome Prowler!
Thanks, glad to be here!
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Can't tell if your avatar is prowling, or preparing to sit down with some Longbottom Leaf. :D
Looks awesome though! Who drew that?