Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dimirag

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by Dimirag »

I would say OSR is more RIAYNI: Rule It As You Need It
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

SmootRK wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:38 pm Very common house rule for level one characters to get full hp.

As to the deadly nature of low level. That is a fundamental characteristic of old school. Characters start off just a scoach above the normal non-adventuring person. Nobody is heroic at level one. Goals for level one is to survive to level two or more. Heroic adventurers have paid the price as low level for often a long period of time.

This is a feature of old school play... not a flaw.
I always tell people that low levels in OSR are deadly *if* you choose to get involved in a lot of combat, especially head to head combat. I encourage selective application of violence and especially strategic avoidance of it in my games. Finding a way to befriend or avoid an ogre gains you the same amount of xp at my table as slaying it. Violence is sometimes, but not always, the answer.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

This is a good point. I had a ton of fun having a fighter harvest stone from a cleared dungeon and sell it to masons. The campaign came to a complete stop as we all shifted attention to become merchants.
Mythos

Post by Mythos »

Hello everyone. I'm a total DnD noob but I'm dedicated to learning and eventually setting up my first campaign for friends and family. I prefer older DnD for the aesthetic, but the simple mechanics of BF were too good to ignore. Not to mention that BF is completely free, which means that contributors love what they do and they offer it freely to the world. All that, combined with my dissatisfaction associated with WoTC management, has led me to BF. Thank you for having me :D
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Welcome home! This is a great community to learn from and an even better system to start out with.... at least according to my first few months of hanging around here.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

It's a great place to be, welcome and enjoy!
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
docgeo

Post by docgeo »

I wanted to say Hi! I just joined the forums today after having some technical issues that Chris talked me through on YouTube. I have been playing RPGs since the late 70's but haven't played in years due to my last group breaking up as we are all in the Army. I picked a bunch of these books up on amazon and drive through RPG and I am hoping to teach my wife and children to play. My older son played in my last group and will help and we play a ton of board games so I hope this won't be to difficult. I have never really run a game before. I did a little guest GM'ing in the 90's for GURPS and I tried the FFG Star Wars game when it first came out but didn't really like the system. I love everything I have read and watched on this system and I am excited so wish me luck!
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Good luck docgeo! And welcome!
Playing with my four daughters has been some of the greatest fun I've ever had. Kids approach the game in such a different way. Great times!
Enjoy and hit up these forums when you have questions!
Be well,
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Welcome Mythos and docgeo! 8-)
Mythos

Post by Mythos »

Thanks! Glad to be here. I really hope -and plan to- contribute to BFRPG in the future, mostly with literary material and perhaps with some art as well.