Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by Solomoriah »

Welcome to the forums at BasicFantasy.org!

I've resisted setting up a forum site just for Basic Fantasy RPG for a long time. I feel that the game benefits from the wide-ranging coverage and cross-pollination from other games which we have always received on the Dragonsfoot.org forums:

https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/

However, DF is a busy site, with a lot of material. Recently, the DF admin and staff decided not to accept any further Play-by-Post forums, to keep clutter under control on the forums. So, I've decided to install phpBB on the basicfantasy.org site, and set up forums for Play by Post.

I'm not leaving Dragonsfoot. I'll be a moderator in the Workshop and the Simulacrum Games forums there as long as Steve will have me. But, questions or discussions regarding Basic Fantasy RPG are welcome here as well. Consider other classic and simulacrum games on-topic only in relation to BFRPG. If you want to discuss an older game, or another simulacrum game, by itself, please, go over to Dragonsfoot.org or to another forum site.

If you know me, you know my preferences. Be polite. Don't start trouble here... that means don't waste my moderating time posting about real-world religions, politics, etc. I don't need it, and I won't put up with it. I won't even warn you, I'll just pull out my Two-Handed Sword of Forum Moderation +5 and hack off your... topic.

I strongly recommend, for discussions of classic or simulacrum gaming, that you visit DF and post there instead of here... but if you've come here as a fan of BFRPG and want to talk about it, feel free.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Re: Welcome to the new Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by Hywaywolf »

hey, can I post in the welcome thread? No one else has, hope I am not releasing any bad mojo in here.

I can't believe I didn't know this forum was here. I need to keep my eyes open wider.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I should have commented on this sooner, buts its finally irked me enough to mention it. I like that when on the downloads page you can click the "comments" link for a particular item and it takes you to a thread discussing/announcing it. What I would like to see is a link on the forum thread taking you to the download page for that item.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

That's quite a bit of work, Hyway, and I'm lazy.

You want to do it? I'll make you a moderator.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Ummm, I meant in future announcements :)

But sure, since I opened my mouth, I'll do it. Just need to edit each page with the link, correct. No coding involved? I think I'll just do it with the items on the download page. All the old version announcements won't need one.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You're talking about adding links to the commentary threads, right? As I said, I can promote you to moderator, giving you the power to modify my posts in that forum, and you can then copy the download page links to each post.

Are you planning to post links to that section of the download page, or are you planning to copy the actual file download link(s) for each project? The latter would involve a lot of updating as I release new versions.

A standard download page link looks like this:

http://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#aa1.8

That's the link to Vault of Eihort. Basically, the url for the downloads page, followed by a pound sign # and then the internal "name" of the document. You can find the internal names (aka "anchors") in the source of the downloads page (Page Source in your browser) by searching for the "<a name=" tags. Note that the major sections also have "<a name=" tags; for instance, just above the "corerules" tag is a tag labeled "sn_rules" which is linked to the "Rules" button at the top right of the page.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I just wanted a link like the one you posted that takes me to the item and its description and download links. The comment thread just says:
Post your comments here for Adventure Anthologies 1.8: Vault of Eihort
I would want more information about it before I downloaded it. So the simple link to it on the downloads page would be sufficient. So it really shouldn't be too much work.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Welcome to the ranks of the moderators, Hyway!

You now have the privilege necessary to edit my original posts. Update them at will.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Ok, I think I updated all of them
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Be careful for what thou wishst! ;)
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.