Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by Solomoriah »

I did that last bit in my RPG Primer book, but as far as I know nobody has a level 1-4 game set. Honestly, that's a commercial thing, an introductory game that gets someone to shell out for the full game or addons or whatever, the Old School version of paid DLC. When you can get the whole game plus enough adventures to keep you busy for weeks for under $10.00, why cut it down? It won't be much cheaper... in fact, given the overhead, it will probably end up costing more once you have to buy all those addons.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

mikkelibob wrote:Sounds like I'm in the same boat as a lot of yall. I grew on on Mentzer redbox & expert - and I still have a regular weekly game. I'd like to introduce RPGs and D&D to my kids (still fairly young). But I think they would enjoy it more if I just sort of let them have some books and let them sort of come at it pretty organically. Maybe there is a good SRD hack that already sort of attempts to do that for kiddos, but I really love BFRPG. I like how expandable it is, and yet how it takes the best concepts of 3.0. And I really love the notion of $5 well put together books.

I think what I really would love is a Redbox style BFRPG hack. Basically just levels 1-4 or so; a starter dungeon; and that lovely "how to play" screenplay type thing that those early starter sets had. Does anything like that exist?
Sorta. Somebody put together a Basic Fantasy Starter Set Torrent. It's meant to give a collection to start off with. If you ask me:

Start with the rulebook and play through Beneath Brymassen from AA1. It's a bit on the easy side (I'm told) but would probably make for a good start. If you're starting with experienced players you could probably just start with Morgansfort, which can be a bit hard on 1st level characters but has a lot of depth and content for a starting adventure. Finally, if you have a time limitation (or players have an attention limitation) I'm putting together a one-shot, one-session adventure pretty much specifically as an intro. It's got a little bit of everything and can be played through in about 2.5 hours -- I think.

Finally, just some generic advice: you can give new players pre-gens at level 2 or 3 for their first adventure, if you're worried about them losing interest in a game where character death is quite possible.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

What orobouros said. Do that, and you can't go wrong.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Hello everyone, new here. Been following BFRPG (and OSR games in general) for a few years now, have purchased a number of systems including the whole line of BFRPG (twice with a few extra core books for my players).

I have a fairly long history of RPGs under my belt, been playing since I was 14 with 3rd Edition D&D and am really wanting to sink my teeth into more classic styled games. I actually have a BFRPG game getting prepped and will start this Tuesday even.

I don't know how active I'll be on the forums, truth be told, but I hope to get at least a few small adventure modules written up and posted on here. I already have one short adventure more or less done via scratch and graph paper so all I'd need is to copy it over, refine it some and get it posted. My end goal is to make and adventure series that, if played all straight, should see a party go from 1st level to around 10th level or so but baby steps first and foremost.

Anyway, I hope we all get along.
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood
quozl

Post by quozl »

Welcome! I look forward to seeing what you do!
bhyeti

Post by bhyeti »

Welcome!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

welcome and good luck with your game
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Welcome new folk!
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Hey everyone! I'm back from what seems like a long sabbatical. Solo recently invited me to the BFRPG Facebook group reboot and it made me realize how much I love this place!

The good news is I have another almost completed adventure done. I'm hoping I can get it into AA3 if possible..

the bad news is I was working on a larger adventure with a huge keep and multiple dungeons and I lost most of the material I had already put together. I still have the maps but the backstory and everything is a vague memory. I'm usually pretty good about keeping notes but the only thing I've found on it was a custom creature I created for it. :(
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Heya, welcome back.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?