Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
fingolwyn

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by fingolwyn »

Hey all - just joined and am getting familiar with this flavor of Basic. You might have seen me over on Dragonsfoot or another gaming board. I've done some work with & Magazine and Footprints (Classic Blue maps), and have a few OSRIC compatible items available for download. Feel free to PM me here (or Dragonsfoot) if you have any Classic Blue or writing/editing needs (or ignore me instead :) ).
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I hate to tell you this, but we don't use blue maps. Sorry. Our interiors are all black and white for printing purposes. We do use that style, just in black or gray instead of blue.

However, welcome! Happy to see you here!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
fingolwyn

Post by fingolwyn »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:59 am I hate to tell you this, but we don't use blue maps. Sorry. Our interiors are all black and white for printing purposes. We do use that style, just in black or gray instead of blue.

However, welcome! Happy to see you here!
I've got a black tileset too. I actually edited out the "or black instead" (or something like that) from my initial post and included the "writing/editing" part after perusing the artists page (there are some far better map makers there than I). Is there a particular shade of black, or just the usual #000000 (that can be too shiny sometimes)?
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, that's fine. Main thing is to avoid pale grays, as they reproduce badly.
Velesov078

Post by Velesov078 »

Hey all!!
I am new at this and I am probably missing some point, but.. Is it just my thoughts or are the hit points of a 1st level character unnaturally low. I mean, if you get 2 hp on roll of d4, like it is for magic user or thief, one goblin could kill one character easily in one blow.
It is weird cause even in adventure modules for pc-s lvl 1 there are always minimum 3-4 of the goblins together, and if there are two pc-s dungeoning they could get killed sooo easily in combat..
Can someone offer some explanation to that, or what are your thoughts on that very topic?
Thanks!!
daryen

Post by daryen »

Velesov078 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:00 pm Hey all!!
I am new at this and I am probably missing some point, but.. Is it just my thoughts or are the hit points of a 1st level character unnaturally low. I mean, if you get 2 hp on roll of d4, like it is for magic user or thief, one goblin could kill one character easily in one blow.
It is weird cause even in adventure modules for pc-s lvl 1 there are always minimum 3-4 of the goblins together, and if there are two pc-s dungeoning they could get killed sooo easily in combat..
Can someone offer some explanation to that, or what are your thoughts on that very topic?
Thanks!!
Two thoughts:
- That's Old School! (Seriously, you roll everything and the chips fall where they may.)
- That's why there are house rules! Even when playing back in the day, we always fudged the die for that first level (or two). Later we just gave first level max hit points.

Put together, just house-rule it. That's what pretty much everyone else does. The nice thing about OSR is that rules aren't meant to either answer every question or be "word of God". It is a toolbox. Use what you want; modify the rest!
Velesov078

Post by Velesov078 »

Thank you very much for the thoughts!!
This is very close to what I expected to get for an answer, and I can relate to those, but just wanted to check if I am doing anything wrong with these rules. Anyone with some different opinion please do comment on that.
Old school is truly in session!
Velesov078

Post by Velesov078 »

Also, what if we are strictly following rules, you would say Old School as it is, RAW we might say too..
You rolled 2 hit points for your character, and he enters the first level, first ever, dungeon with 1 goblin. The goblin gets initiative and makes 4 damage, you easily dont succeed in Death Save roll and boom, your character is dead without even living.. What to do?! (Make haste and use optional rules for character negative hit points in uncounsciousnesssss)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Very common house rule for level one characters to get full hp.

As to the deadly nature of low level. That is a fundamental characteristic of old school. Characters start off just a scoach above the normal non-adventuring person. Nobody is heroic at level one. Goals for level one is to survive to level two or more. Heroic adventurers have paid the price as low level for often a long period of time.

This is a feature of old school play... not a flaw.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, and RAW is nonsense. I wrote the rules to be house ruled. Seriously, it's baked in. Because it's easier to give to players than take from them, the rules are strict and harsh; softening them up a bit breaks nothing because they were meant to be softened up.