Working on a Monster Generator

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Working on a Monster Generator

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm working on an online tool that will let you choose any monster in the Core Rules and, with a click, generate an encounter or lair group of those critters. It's only just in the early stages, but I can see that creating the long lists of stats needed for that will be a heck of a job. So I ask you all... is there anyone here with a basic grounding in programming who would be willing to help out?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Re: Working on a Monster Generator

Post by AlMan »

Which language do you want this done in?

AlMan
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

What I'm needing right now is to get the monster data entered. The code is in Python, but since the data will be in the form of a Python dictionary object (like a basic Javascript object) it's not that challenging to enter. But it will be tedious, and I suck at tedious.

I have a public repository on Github; if you are interested, I'll send details. You can fork it and do the entry that way, and just post pull requests every so often as you make progress.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

If you are willing to show me how it should be coded, I can help out as I work 3rd shift and have hours of nothing to do during work (life of a security officer).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You'll need a Github account. Go over to github.com and sign up, and then I'll walk you through forking my project. I think, if you have a literal enough mind, it won't be too hard.
Tree Ant

Post by Tree Ant »

I could help out with this. I know python, git and have a github account.

Do you have a link to the repo?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

https://github.com/Solomoriah/Dungeoneer

The file in question is Monsters.py. Right now, it just contains statistics for the monsters on the dungeon encounter tables. I'd like to have stats for all the Core Rules monsters.

If you're game, fill in one or two of the missing monsters, and post a pull request. If you have questions, post them here. I'll review your work and let you know if there are any discrepancies. That way, if you are making any systematic mistakes, we won't have to do much work to fix them.

Fill in the "dungeonlevel" value as 0 for those that do not appear on the encounter tables.

"asterisk" refers to the asterisk after the name. "stars" is the asterisks after the hit dice. "daggers" is 0 for normal monsters, 1 for those with a single dagger on the AC, 2 for double daggers.

The existing monsters don't have correct values for "stars" and "daggers" yet, but I'll be fixing them myself.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Ok, I logged in and created a fork. I will look into working on it while at work tonight. How are we going to handle multiple people working on it so that duplicating the work is kept at a minimum?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Choose a block of the alphabet, large enough to keep you busy but small enough to allow room for others to work, and post here that you are working on it.

If there are still conflicts, I'll work them out on Github.