Suggestions of First Scenario to run.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
MythusRPG

Suggestions of First Scenario to run.

Post by MythusRPG »

I may be starting an RPG group that has players ages 11 to 15. So, any suggestions for a first adventure/scenario to start with? Playing time will probably only run about 2 hours with at least one break. This is meant to be an ongoing group not one shot so there is no need to finish the scenario in that time slot. Thanks.
SmootRK

Re: Suggestions of First Scenario to run.

Post by SmootRK »

Morgansfort is excellent for an entire starting campaign, following with Chaotic Caves by JDNeal.

Or if you have the old stuff around, I often start campaigns with Keep on the Borderlands unless I know that too many players have been through it. I often mix things up a bit and change various bits, so someone with some casual experience with it does not pose problem.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The old "inn's basement full of rats" is a classic one, specially if after cleaning the place they find a secret door or that the way the rats entered leads to an old crypt with some skeletons and probably a hook to a next adventure...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I've used goblins overrunning a farm for a first adventure. Had one group talk to the goblins instead of just killing them. They found out that the goblins were chased out of their caves, where they were happy at, by some orcs. This lead to the group dealing with the orcs and finding out that the orcs were pushed out of their territory by something else.

Long story short, the group backtracked all the monsters to one location and found out a dragon settled into an area (over hundred miles away) and had to figure out how to deal with it which they did.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

I concur with Smoot, so many fantastic campaigns I've played have started with either morgansfort or keep on the borderlands. they provide a great base to build a campaign world off of.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Tree Ant

Post by Tree Ant »

Many great modules have been suggested to launch a campaign.

I thought I would share my advice on opening the game.

I prefer to launch the game right in the middle of the action (particularly for new players). The PC's are patrolling the woods while they hear the howling of wolves growing louder, they come across a burned caravan with tracks leading into the swamp (or even come across a caravan under attack), etc.

After getting their blood up with an initial adventure, then they can go meet at the tavern to ask around about rumors and plan their big trek.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Tree Ant wrote:Many great modules have been suggested to launch a campaign.

I thought I would share my advice on opening the game.

I prefer to launch the game right in the middle of the action (particularly for new players). The PC's are patrolling the woods while they hear the howling of wolves growing louder, they come across a burned caravan with tracks leading into the swamp (or even come across a caravan under attack), etc.

After getting their blood up with an initial adventure, then they can go meet at the tavern to ask around about rumors and plan their big trek.
Agreed. It is fun to get the group together, and when everyone has their sheets in order and we are ready to actually begin, then I say "OK now, ROLL for Initiative!!".... then chaos occurs.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
DuncleJohn

Post by DuncleJohn »

I will second (third?), Morgansfort, Chaotic Caves and the suggestion to begin with action and allow for introductions later.

Other good starter scenarios, which you can plug into either of the above settings would be: Beneath Brymessan, Ruins of Darkfur Castle, and Kidnapped.

What's beautiful about BFRPG is that it is so easy to move adventures around and plunk them down wherever needed.
I also love the rats in the cellar idea, leading to something interesting or dangerous.
Cthulhusquid

Post by Cthulhusquid »

I haven't played Basic Fantasy yet (however I am a game developer), but here's some possible ideas.

Exploring a nearby forest which is rumored to be "haunted" and find cultists looking at some mysterious ruins.

Clearing out a nearby mine newly infested by monsters.
inhalvast

Post by inhalvast »

Blackapple is a good one, too.