Advice on Workshop Ideas?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dimirag

Re: Advice on Workshop Ideas?

Post by Dimirag »

Is not that we don't care, is that over time, perhaps, we became a little more exquisite on what to take into the game, and perhaps, into the forum, I love to see the different takes on classes and rules that people have to offer, but if one simply allows any kind of class or rule to be placed openly then the "class proliferation" problem can appear and then the forum gets saturated with 32 kinds of rangers and paladins plus some really weird stuff.

Its not uncommon that someone enters the forum hoping to change some rule or to add something, but as Solo has said tons of time, the game, after all these years is what he wanted to be, and the rest of us has learned to follow that though, at least, for the main game, other ideas are welcome as a way of helping each individual to make the game he wants to play.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
ArtemisEntreri

Post by ArtemisEntreri »

As I said, it makes sense... And anyway, if it makes sense to the "hq" it does, that's definitely right and sounds ok to me, really! :)

I'm just an eternal enthusiast and try to invest my creative surges in projects I believe in and i feel BFRPG didn't get what it really deserves yet. :) Not in the sense of something missing... I talk about success. There are mainstream titles which are not as good as a half of BFRPG lol
Longman

Post by Longman »

The problem with new class design is that buffs are way more fun to imagine than nerfs. No one starts out designing a new class by thinking about all the ways they should be be worse than the standard 4 classes.

"I've got this excellent new necromancer ranger class! They totally suck in melee!" Said no designer ever.

Additional exp costs is a common nerf, but it shouldn't be the only one.

Restrictions on arms and armor
Restrictions on magic items
Restrictions on treasure, need to tithe, etc
Less than the normal amount of spells
Restrictions on available spells
Functioning badly in various terrain types
Social stigma (adjustments to reaction rolls)
Lack of literacy, or ability to be able to speak well
Melee or missile penalties due to lack of training
Penalties on general ability rolls due to intense specialization in one area

A lot of these would be campaign specific, but certainly something to think about when designing new classes for your game.
ArtemisEntreri

Post by ArtemisEntreri »

I personally start from the flaws. :) I find them more compelling and inspiring than merits. xD

Don't know why, but in my convulted design process (this is true for every game), starting with the "borders" inspires me more than starting with the powers.

I start with the concept and suddenly try to find what it "can't" do. This is just probably a design technique.

I.E., I'm working on old school custom classes (for LL but I'll convert them soon in BFRPG since it will probably be my way to go for fantasy in the future), some of 'em are very specific to the world, but i still try to find limits. The Witch Hunter has a "lock" on weapons, armors with a bit of XP increase for the baseline you'd use, while getting back some "d6 abilities" to recognize monster lore and understand their language, while detecting evil and curing wounds a limited amount of times per day (increase with level).
But I started thinkin' to what it couldn't do before actually finding out its strengths.

probably odd, but that's how I work. :)

Cheers!
PendragonTX

Post by PendragonTX »

SmootRK wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:21 am
ArtemisEntreri wrote:Just a question... Why is there this "we don't care" attitude against classes/rules? A game like this should live mostly with home made stuff... Ok, it's difficult to reach perfect balance, but I don't see the reason why we should not let people with ideas to put their efforts in download or shared sections. :)
Oh, it is absolutely encouraged via the forums and possibly in the Showcase section of the site. Solo has kept the somewhat "official" areas sparse very much on purpose to avoid a sort of rules-creep where too much stuff becomes defacto standard fare or otherwise felt-like as official.

I agree to this, as I am never quite satisfied with many offerings made by others, so I would prefer to not have much become such "semi-official fare" that players might feel like they are entitled to utilize.

That all said, share away in the forums... we all love to see the ideas!
Solid agreement. Many things I have seen spark the "hmmmm, I like it but..." Reaction.
Thread Necromacer-at-Large