Bonus Spells for high wisdom and intelligence

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
MrGrim

Bonus Spells for high wisdom and intelligence

Post by MrGrim »

Why is there no bonus spells for high wisdom and Intelligence for magic-users and clerics? As it is, there doesn't seem to be any advantage for spell casters to have high stats in their primary attributes?

Might I suggest something like the Abilities and Spellcasters table here...http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability- ... ity-scores
SmootRK

Re: Bonus Spells for high wisdom and intelligence

Post by SmootRK »

The game editions that inspired BFRPG did not have such rule mechanics, so BFRPG does not either. That said, it is a very reasonable house rule; even the 0-Level Spell Supplement uses the appropriate ability to determine number of orisons/cantrips available. I think the modifiers used by Pathfinder would not translate exactly because of differing scales for abilities, but the basic concept is workable.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I'm currently working on my own houserules for BFRPG, and in my game clerics and magic-users gain additional first level spells based on their wisdom and intelligence respectively.

13-15 they gain 1 additional 1st level spell.
16-17 they gain 2 additional 1st level spells.
and for an 18 they gain 3 additional 1st level spells.

It can really up the power of 1st level PCs, but after a few levels it doesn't have a huge impact.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Maliki wrote:I'm currently working on my own houserules for BFRPG, and in my game clerics and magic-users gain additional first level spells based on their wisdom and intelligence respectively.

13-15 they gain 1 additional 1st level spell.
16-17 they gain 2 additional 1st level spells.
and for an 18 they gain 3 additional 1st level spells.

It can really up the power of 1st level PCs, but after a few levels it doesn't have a huge impact.
I have no issue with this, although I would probably give (13-15) 1 -1st, (16-17) 2 -1st, then (18) 2 -1st and 1 -2nd; just to spread the bonus into later levels than just heaping it on right at the beginning. I use expanded ability scores (past 18 with some alterations) and a mechanic to grant an ability point every few level (they can choose where to put it).. so the progression has to go a bit further than 18. Nobody has approached the upper side of things but the potential is there. I went ahead an applied this to my ability score table, but the spell bonus at upper ability scores may get altered... not sure if I am completely logical with the progression there.

Code: Select all

Score  Bonus       Spell Bonus
1      -5 Penalty   n/a cannot cast spells using ability
2      -4 Penalty   n/a
3-4    -3 Penalty   n/a
5-6    -2 Penalty   n/a
7-8    -1 Penalty   n/a
9-12    0           0
13-14  +1           1 - 1st
15-16  +2           2 - 1st
17-18  +3           2 - 1st, 1 - 2nd
19-20  +4           2 - 1st, 2 - 2nd
21-22  +5           3 - 1st, 2 - 2nd, 1 - 3rd
23-24  +6           3 - 1st, 2 - 2nd, 2 - 3rd
celtchief

Post by celtchief »

I like the chart presented above.
I think it should be included with any supplement material, along with the optional rule about raising stats by +1 every 4 levers.

Cheers.
Robert
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I allow a +1 every 5th level, but cap ability scores at 18 (or 19 for demi-humans, like dwarf/con, elf/dex). Which really doesn't impact wisdom or intelligence for any of the standard races.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I failed to note that I use Ability Score arrays to determine a character's scores. Here is the text from the document that I started. I somehow felt the need to compile all my various house rules down to a document so that I can distribute it to my ever-learning group of youths that play.
Starting ability scores are determined by an array of scores decided by the Game Master at the beginning of the campaign, generally 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17. The player may arrange as desired.

[Chart above Supersedes Chart on P.4]

Character Ability Score Advancement occurs at each level divisible by 5 (ie level 5, level 10, level 15, etc). At each of those levels, the character gains 1 point to add to his or her choice of ability, permanently increasing that specific ability score. Human characters advance more quickly (every 4 levels, 4th, 8th, 12th, etc).
Unless I begin a campaign with a different array, no character begins play with a score higher than 17. Thus, a character must generally be 10th level before a score above 18 is possible (8th for humans), and only if they drop their points into that one 17 score exclusively.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I like the idea of humans getting a +1/4 levels and demi-humans at +1/5 levels. It gives humans something to go along with the 10% XP bonus.
chatdemon

Post by chatdemon »

My house rules for spellcasting, including bonus spells for high Int or Wis, are as follows:

Code: Select all

Ability Score 	Max. Spell Level 	Bonus
1-8 	NA 	Can't be a spellcaster
9 	1 	None
10 	2 	None
11 	3 	None
12 	4 	None
13 	5 	1
14 	6 	1
15 	(7) 	1
16 	(8) 	2
17 	(9) 	2
18 	(9) 	3 

Maximum Spell Level is quite simply the highest level spell a character with that ability score can cast. While by the book BFRPG limits spells to 6th level of power, I'm sure some others have expanded the game to include 7th, 8th and 9th level spells like I have. The numbers in (parentheses) reflect that unofficial option. As others have suggested in this discussion, I recommend allowing characters a bonus +1 to an ability score of their choice every 4 or 5 levels (I go with 4), so a character with a spellcasting ability score of less than 16 has ample opportunity to rectify that before his experience level opens him up to high level spells.

Bonus is pretty easy. A character with high ability score gets a bonus of 1-3. They may cast extra spells each day of a total spell level equal to that bonus. So a character with a score of 17 in his spellcasting ability gets a bonus of 2, meaning he can cast 2 extra 1st level spells or one extra 2nd level spell. The character's experience level must still qualify him for the bonus spells, in other words, a 2nd level character can't cast a third level spell, even with an 18 in the relevant ability score.

I reposted this, with a clean version of the table, on my blog:
http://stockingthedungeon.blogspot.com/ ... sting.html
-----
Bree Yark, Baby!
-- Rich,
breeyark@gmail.com
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I allow clerics to use their wisdom bonus when rolling for turn undead.