BFRPG does it again

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
teaman

BFRPG does it again

Post by teaman »

We are up to session 65 of our current campaign (two hour sessions, played via Skype). The best part is that EVERYONE can have the rules. Our thief leveled up last night and took care of all his own stats, good news for the DM.

Thanks to Solo and everyone else for keeping the old school alive in a great, accessible new form.

(And Godspeed Tom Moldvay, Dave Cook, Frank Mentzer, and Aaron Allston!)
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
kerc

Re: BFRPG does it again

Post by kerc »

Oh, heck yes. This game is so damn easy to administer. When we ended our latest adventure, right there on the spot I calculated XP and leveled up four characters in about half an hour.

I love Basic Fantasy!
Kerc | Dice Pencil & Paper | @dicepencilpaper
Hernes Son

Re: BFRPG does it again

Post by Hernes Son »

I'm on something like session 24 of my game. We meet approximately monthly, and have been going on strong for just over two years.

When this group first started up, it was comprised of people of varying levels of gaming experience. Some lapsed RPGers, some who'd heard about RPGs but never played, some who were being dragged along by an RPG fan spouse*. (We all met via nextdoor.com, with the bonus that we're all in the same neighborhood; I walk 20 minutes to game night!)

We knew we wanted to play some form of "D&D", and when we were tossing editions/versions around, I threw out BFRPG. My pitch was that "it's basically like the D&D most of you remember from days gone by. Also, the book is basically free, so if everyone hates the game, it's not like you dropped a ton of dough on it."

Within a few sessions, everyone was utterly in love with the game, and all the players had bought their own copies of the rules. We're still having fun, and haven't lost a player yet!

* = A side note: the player who was most resistant to playing, and was "dragged along by her spouse", has pretty much become the most rock-solid player in the group. Her PC continuously kicks ass, and has gotten the group out of more bad situations than even they probably know.
The Hooded Man will come to the forest, there to meet with Herne the Hunter, to be his son and do his bidding.