Should we create our own Unearthed Arcana?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
kerc

Should we create our own Unearthed Arcana?

Post by kerc »

I've been looking through all the additions and new classes that have been created for the game, and thought that it would be cool idea to compile them in one volume, and also to create even more stuff for said volume.

What do you all think?
Kerc | Dice Pencil & Paper | @dicepencilpaper
SmootRK

Re: Should we create our own Unearthed Arcana?

Post by SmootRK »

This sort of thing pops up every so often, and I understand the thinking. I thought similarly myself at one point. However, at least for me, I ultimately realized that the alacarte method of the various supplements has certain superior qualities.

1. GM control over content is more granular. When a larger compendium of offerings is available, it is largely taken as all or nothing. Individual supplements make it much easier to finely control how many different options get into someone's game.

2. Who is to say which "Ranger" is the better or the official one. There are at least 4 or more to work with. Same goes for any particular offering. What I like is not the same as what others like.

3. So much easier to update individual supplements than a compendium.

4. These days, almost easier to pull from internet or print off a few pages... almost negates need for books. Now, I like having books, but when coupled with reasons above, printing off a few pages kept in a binder is all I need. Often, the website combined with various pdf's have become my day to day books.

So, overall I feel like the need for a compendium of sorts is limited to my own houserule document, or basically my own version of the game with the options I like the most. But this is quite specific to me and I don't suppose most others would want the particular combination of things that I like.

And of course, there are clearly going to be other opinions than my own... and that is good!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm actually considering putting the supplements I let my players use into a compound document; it's why New Spells got a working-over to refocus it, actually. But it will never be on the Downloads page; likely, if I ever get it done, it will go into the Showcase.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I don't think BFRPG should have something like UA as to prevent what Smoot said.

I don't mind with people creating their own rules compilation.

The problem with such files, if not done carefully, is that it could lend people to think that everything presented must be used and that they are better compared to similar options presented by other members.

One of the beauties of BFRPG is that everything is presented individually allowing people to print the specifics of what they want w/out having to cherry-pick from one specific file nor having to combine parts of different ones.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Why create a book of everything when everything is already grouped together on the downloads and showcase pages and a DM can simply group together what he wants. We live in an era of information glut. We have a buffet of items available to us. Why have everything on the buffet sent out to our table when we can just travel down the buffet taking what we want and leaving the rest.