Are half-elves infertile?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
daryen

Re: Are half-elves infertile?

Post by daryen »

Honestly, when you get right down to it, a halfling + a human is just disturbing. Honestly, I just wouldn't want to go there.

I stick with the classics: a human + an elf is a half-elf; a half-elf + a human, elf, or another half-elf is just an elf. You get a ridiculously wide range of traits in half elves, so it works out well enough to just generalize it and let it go. I can live with Solo's option, but my slope is to the mean (half-elf), not either end. Half-orcs work the same.

I don't let humans and dwarfs, halflings, or gnomes produce offspring. Humans have assuredly tried with all three (personal qualms notwithstanding) but such liaisons do not result in progeny. Don't know why, it just doesn't work.
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

What about half-orcs or half-ogres? Now that's disgusting. I mean, how did that happen. You would have to be pretty desperate to get jiggy with an orc :D

I get the half elf thing and maybe a gnome and a small dwarf but these other crosses . . . a little too funky for me
Seven

Post by Seven »

Orcs mate with everything except elves. However the Orc strain is dominant so the offsprings are basically orcs 90% of the time. The most commons are orc-goblin, orc-hobgoblin, orc-human and orc-ogre. In Greyhawk, Losels were orc-baboon.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Seven wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:39 pm In Greyhawk, Losels were orc-baboon.
See, you learn something new every day!

I think orc + halfling should be allowed, and encouraged. And the technical term for an orc + halfling is a "tween".
Seven

Post by Seven »

Snarkythekobold wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:19 pm Now that's disgusting. I mean, how did that happen. You would have to be pretty desperate to get jiggy with an orc :D
The game always had philters of love. There's also normal intoxication and rape is a byproduct of wars.

In many settings, half-elves are just as shunned as half-orcs.
In others, humanoids are used as cheap labor or cannon-fodder and found in cities.

It's just never discussed openly.