Upcoming Campaign in FR, bunch of questions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
ArtemisEntreri

Upcoming Campaign in FR, bunch of questions

Post by ArtemisEntreri »

Hey hive mind! :)
I'd like to ask a bunch of questions for an upcoming Forgotten Realms campaign conversion (from 5e to BF). I don't care much about "direct" conversion, my players are RP focused so they don't care to preserve extra stuff, I might still introduce throughe the many options available here or items.

What I ask is a bit more specific.

1. Non-elves multiclass. Is there any particular downside at letting any race to use multi-class rules outside of elves? I'm not that fond of multiclassing, but the old school multiclass is an elegant and effective way to give light to particular concept with the obvious downside of extra XP needed to level up.
Like a Cleric/Fighter can be more of a Divine Knight, in example, ora Thieve/Magic-User can become a Bard.

What I mean, is that I'd really like to use the CORE rules as much as I can to create class concepts, rather than create new classes as a whole.

Any hints about this? And this leads to question 2...

2. Bard. There's the "quasi class" which is a bit "over the top" for my tastes, not in terms of power, but is a bit convulted. I liked a Bard-like idea I've found for B/X, which is more of a Thief/Mage, with reduced thieving abilities (no open locks or pick pockets) and added Lore/Read Languages/Charm abilities. A limited set of spells (songs) got from both the cleric and the magic-user's list (small selection, liberal casting option).
Downside: higher xp advancement, limited weapon/armor use (leather, shield, small melee, shortbows, no two handed).

Is it ok? In the original campaign it was a 5e straight Bard with stealth and the option to use shields. So it might be on spot...

3. Sorcerer. In the other topic I decided that the easy one-page sorcerer is definitely spot on. I'd like to add an ability (which is perfect for my take on it) which i call "elemental affinity" which is the chance to choose up to two elements and get a double advantage:
- choose an element at 1st. Another at 10th. You can change any elemental / type of damage into one of your chosen elements. Furthermore, you have a +2 saving throws vs those elements.
- this is uncertain, but I'd like to use it: I want the chance to do a little "trick" everytime your element is used.
AIR: fly at your speed, then go down or fall.
FIRE: surrunded by fire for a round. 1d4 damage to anyone which passes, hits you in melee or stays there.
EARTH: +1 AC for one round.
WATER: +1 saving throws for one round.

Or something like that... ideas? :) Should this cost an increase in experience points for the Sorcerer?

4. I really like the "arcane bolt" mage option to avoid usual "throw my dagger" or "lighter crossbow". It's like a cantrip but still lets the magic-user do something... magic. I still don't know which of the 3 versions shown in the MU options is the best... Any idea / experience?

Thank you soo much!
SmootRK

Re: Upcoming Campaign in FR, bunch of questions

Post by SmootRK »

1. I don't bother with race/class limitations, with only a few fiddly things to consider (Dwarves & Magic Resistance for one). Never screwed up my game. I would suggest doing whatever feels ok here. I do use some concept of cultural norms but this is almost exclusively in the role-play arena. Dwarf MU would likely be an outcast in dwarven societies and treated accordingly. Similarly for others with odd backgrounds or unlikely combinations.

Similarly, I wouldn't have issue with multi-classing though no one has explored this with me. I have a bunch of class options in my game, so there are loads of choices to build class archetypes that a player wants.

2. Other Bard ideas: http://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=16
also, Solo has produced a basic bard as well.
I have been wanting to get back to this supplement and do some stripping down of details. The entry in the supplement covers what I want out of a Bard, but there are a few ideas where this can be stripped down. (mainly want to remove scroll casting and influence sections).

3. Sounds like you already have this thought out.

4. I like the Arcane Bolt idea as well, with the same conclusion... I gives the MU character something magical they can do every turn. I prefer the first version (non-magical final effect - simple concussive force) with attack roll (modified by INT).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Re: Upcoming Campaign in FR, bunch of questions

Post by Dimirag »

1 - There is no real problem problem with allowing free race-class combination, only thing to consider is setting rules, the same goes for class-combos, but here are 2 things to consider (that you are free to ignore) first is that some combos despite having the special abilities of 2 classes, will function less efficiently all around, and second, that some of the special ability of a core combo class would't transfer to any other races, mainly the elve's armored casting (based on Solo's unwritten rule).

2 - Solo's take on the Bard class, although created to be a combo class, can be used as a single class, plus there are some other bard class attempt on the forum.

3 - I would give him a d6 based chance of the special effect happening when a spell is cast, another take is to use a "spontaneous casting" that replicates a spell, but with effects based on the spell level used.

4 - Option 1 seem to be the better to me, you are giving the MU free unlimited ammo, making it hit like a non-magical weapon and depending on his low AB seems to balance that.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/