When a character dies

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Gilliadson

Re: When a character dies

Post by Gilliadson »

Snarkythekobold wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 am As a house rule, I am thinking about implementing a rule in which those who are depleted of a HP can roll a Save vs. death but even if they survive they are mortally wounded and must roll 2 d20 to determine the hours that they can live before receiving some form of healing (i.e. 2 d20 rolls that equal 9 total means that the character has 9 hours to live). This would give some suspense, create new story lines (how do we save this dude), and also give the character who is dying a chance to go down in a blaze of glory if it looks like death is inevitable (i.e. jumping onto a band of monsters so that the other PC's can flee).

Has anyone else ever implemented a rule like this? It might not work that well but I think I might try it on the campaign that I am currently DMing.
I'd be willing to give this a try... it looks to be pretty interesting.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Snarkythekobold wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 am As a house rule, I am thinking about implementing a rule in which those who are depleted of a HP can roll a Save vs. death but even if they survive they are mortally wounded and must roll 2 d20 to determine the hours that they can live before receiving some form of healing (i.e. 2 d20 rolls that equal 9 total means that the character has 9 hours to live).
I have a similar rule, you roll your HD+Con mod (plus some extra HD at some higher levels) when you reach 0hp, if you make the save you get extra time.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

When a party loses a member, they should (if they can) leave the dungeon right away, as they are now below full strength. Most of the time, this allows players in my game to bring in replacements quickly.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Olgabelle

Post by Olgabelle »

If the party isn't near a settlement where they could recruit a new PC, I'd either let the player temporarily (or for good if they want) take control of an NPC torchbearer or something, immediately starting them at 0xp in the class the player wants (if allowed by race), or have an upcoming random encounter feature a prisoner pc that can join the party once they free her.