Morgansfort is a Meat Grinder, Good Introductory Modules?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Morgansfort is a Meat Grinder, Good Introductory Modules?

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll agree that the module is a bit too hard, actually. When I wrote it, I was thinking in terms of an experienced GM leading new players through the classic experience; I went back in the editing phases and attempted to improve the explanations in case the GM was less experienced, but I didn't "nerf" anything at any point. As I stated above, I do start players with around 5,000 XP when I run Morgansfort as a starter, but that's generally when I have more or less experienced players and we're wanting to get rolling quickly.

For a starting adventure, I'd suggest JN1 The Chaotic Caves, perhaps with Beneath Brymassen from AA1 added as the initial party-forming adventure. But even JN1 is kinda tough, begin designed with a classic degree of lethality.

As I'd tell any GM: If you aren't happy with an adventure, change it. You don't have to run a different adventure... just soften up the bits you find unacceptable in this one. For instance, you complain about undetectable traps; while I believe that losing (or almost losing) a character to such a trap is a formative experience, it's simple enough to add some warning of the trap's presence. For the pits, for instance, you can mention that the corridor floors show signs of traffic except for where the pits are located. You only have to reveal one of them in this way to make the players think about the possibility of others.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Personally I'd prefer modules be written to be slightly more lethal. I (as a GM) can easily tone down the danger a bit (1d4 harpies becomes 1d4-1 harpies, orc lieutenant becomes regular orc) as the situation arises. Bumping up the challenge can be harder and more precarious.
Ironwolf

Post by Ironwolf »

cheimison, what rules do you use for PC death? The Negative Hit Points optional rule in the rulebook might help make dungeons more survivable.
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I understand toning down challenge with a newbie group who is just learning . . . and who may be easily discouraged and quit. I think you do have to handle a new group with care because, let's face it, it is not easy to get a committed group together.

But . . . when they do get "hooked," that's a good time to take the training wheels off and let the dice be what they be.

I've got a group who have gotten hooked and a little too cocky, thinking that they can't die. They are about to head to Monkey Isle and I'm pretty sure that there is about to be some big piles of dinosaur poop with PC parts mixed in. We're going to say an eulogy, roll new characters, and move on. They are going to have to learn how play well instead of being murder hobos.