Continual Light spell questions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
+1 Dagger

Continual Light spell questions

Post by +1 Dagger »

Hey, everyone. A couple questions regarding the Continual Light spell :

1. Is the 1 year/level duration fixed, or is the caster able to end the effect at any time prior to that by voluntarily terminating the spell ? The spell description doesn’t specify.

2. When the spell is used in an attempt to blind an opponent but the opponent success in its saving throw, the light instead appears in the air one foot behind the targeted creature. Does this light then move with that creature for the duration of the spell, or does it remain stationary, hovering in the air, in that particular place ? Again, the spell description does not specify.

Thanks, all.
Metroknight

Re: Continual Light spell questions

Post by Metroknight »

Hi Dagger.

My views on it is:

1: It is there for that duration and does not change unless the caster casts a darkness spell or some other type of spell that negates the light. This is due to it not being a concentration type of spell where the caster would have to focus on the effect to maintain it.

2: The rules state Creatures targeted by this spell are allowed a save vs. Death Ray; if the save is made, the spell is cast into the air just behind the target creature so I would rule it being stationary.
deputyofthedead

Post by deputyofthedead »

Hello Dagger

Just thought I give you my take.

1: I think voluntarily cancelling the spell is up to your group and your GM. Our group allows the caster to shut it off. I reason it like this. I play a 13th level magic-user, so a continual light would last 13 years. I tend to use this spell frequently, say two out of every three sessions. Imagine the light pollution my character alone would be responsible for if he couldn't shut it down. At a bare minimum, every magic-user's casting would last three years and every cleric's would last six years. That's a lot of random light assuming a magic-rich game world with lots of casters. But do what you like with it. This is just our reasoning.

2: I agree with Metroknight on this one. Stationary in the air.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Metroknight runs it the way I do. It's not explained in the rules to allow the GM leeway, though; so this isn't the "right" way, just "my" way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

On the flip side, one of my major metropolitan areas uses Continual Light for their street lights, so they AREN'T dispellable, except temporarily with Dispel Magic.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Huh. Many cities in my world of Glain use that spell for street lighting; it's a good way for a low level wizard (or cleric) to make money. The fact that it IS dispellable is a factor in the constant demand for the spell... thieves prefer the cover of darkness, and a half-elf magic-user/thief in the guild will find himself (or herself) in constant demand by the muggers etc.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

In my world the city has a few magic-users on payroll. Basically to take care of new lights, replenish the ones that expire, and also replace ones that are stolen.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin