Creating PbtA Bonds for BFRPG

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
The Angry Monk

Creating PbtA Bonds for BFRPG

Post by The Angry Monk »

I recently played my first PbtA game and thought the ideas of the bonds was really interesting. Has anyone else used this mechanic during character creation in their BFRPG?
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Creating PbtA Bonds for BFRPG

Post by Solomoriah »

You might explain "bonds" (and PbtA for that matter) for those of us who live in BFRPG-land and pretty much never leave...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Oops, sorry. I always think that I'm the last one to know about these things.

PbtA stands for Powered by the Apocalypse and it is a rules engine that is more story-based in play. I have only played one game (Ruma) once, but it was how PbtA creates characters that I thought was pretty slick. Each player is given a character class, and the player then chooses the character's abilities from a small list of options. One section of the character sheet is a thing called "bonds." I think in other PbtA games this is called History (or Hx?). Here are the instructions from the character I played:
Bonds
Everyone introduces their characters. Take your turn. List the other character’s names. Go around
again for Bonds. On your turn, ask at least 1:
● Which of you joined the cohort [party] at the same time as me? For that character, write Bond +2
● Which of you do I look up to as an example of Ruman ideals? For that character, write Bond +3
● Which of you do I not trust to have my back? For that character, write Bond -2
For everyone else, write Bond +1. You see everyone as an ally until they prove otherwise.
On the others’ turns, answer their questions as you like.
So before the players play, their characters have made connections to one another. These bonds can aid or hinder the other characters during play. Let's say a character with whom I have a bond is fighting a monster. I could aid that character because we joined the party at the same time or I could hinder that character because I don't trust them.

I thought this idea would be cool in BFRPG for one-shots or the very first game for a party because it would create instant connections and add some mechanical pluses or minuses to the role-playing. The fantasy PbtA version is Dungeon World. I will have to see how they handle bonds.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I personally don't like to force those bonds, I let my players to form the bond they choose with the character they choose. It will make that some pc's have a common background while others will create it over the course of the game.

If I would use bonds, I would "open" them, so players can in a way, create npc's, familiars, friends, enemies, and the like.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I don't like it. In the Old School, we never restrict a player's ability to play his or her character, except by in-game means (i.e. charm spells, etc.).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

In any long term games I run, I usually request (not require it) each player pick one of the other PCs and note how their character knows them and why they would trust them with their life in the session 0 which covers group expectations and group rules along with character generation. I found that doing this tends to help group stability and promote overall positive dynamics between the characters and between the players.
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Having a little experience with how PbtA works, I have to say you either need to go "whole hog" with it or not at all. the bonds thing is nice and works well in PbtA, but only because the central mechanic is based on character interaction. Trying to mix elements of the two, in my opinion is like trying to put diesel fuel in a gas engine. Diesel fuel is great, when used in engines designed for it. And Bonds are great, when used in PbtA. in BF, though, it would be a game-breaker, I think.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

I'm picking up what you folks are putting down. Thanks for the input.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Just remember that what everyone says is just their opinions also. If you truly want bonds and such in your game, give it a try as it is your game.