Miniatures

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
teaman

Re: Miniatures

Post by teaman »

And thanks to Solo for his help with the 3D printing. I was able to print two little wizards successfully. Here's hoping it keeps up.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
deadPan c

Post by deadPan c »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:07 pm I'd like to present you my take on the whole mini thing. I never got many minis since they are very expensive and take too much space in my rather small house. I instead opted for wooden meeples.

meeples as minis - Copy.jpg

I took me a bit of time to assemble my collection, but I now have dozens of different types. They're a great solution if you're on a budget and wanna play with a battle grid. You can get a set of 100 meeples (10 different colors) for 15$ off Amazon. You can then slap a small numbered label on each one an call it a day.

They come in many shapes and sizes and I was able to get larger ones for ogres or troll and even larger ones for giants. Some even come with designs. I got many different sets from Amazon, but also from my local gamin store that sells them by the piece as replacement for lost board game pawns. Got some on Etsy as well for animals/weirder shapes. I have six plastic organizer boxes full of them and have pretty much all the shapes I'll ever need, all for a bit less than 200$.
That's pretty ingenious. Might buy some myself at some point. I used to use Lego minifigures for PCs and Lego bricks for monsters, which worked decently well, aside from the size. I assume those meeples are about the size of the Carcassonne (board game) pieces? Looks awesome.
Any pronouns

First rolled a d20 in 2018

Absolute dice goblin. Very original, I know.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

deadPan c wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:45 am
coureur_d_bois wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:07 pm I'd like to present you my take on the whole mini thing. I never got many minis since they are very expensive and take too much space in my rather small house. I instead opted for wooden meeples.

I took me a bit of time to assemble my collection, but I now have dozens of different types. They're a great solution if you're on a budget and wanna play with a battle grid. You can get a set of 100 meeples (10 different colors) for 15$ off Amazon. You can then slap a small numbered label on each one an call it a day.

They come in many shapes and sizes and I was able to get larger ones for ogres or troll and even larger ones for giants. Some even come with designs. I got many different sets from Amazon, but also from my local gamin store that sells them by the piece as replacement for lost board game pawns. Got some on Etsy as well for animals/weirder shapes. I have six plastic organizer boxes full of them and have pretty much all the shapes I'll ever need, all for a bit less than 200$.
That's pretty ingenious. Might buy some myself at some point. I used to use Lego minifigures for PCs and Lego bricks for monsters, which worked decently well, aside from the size. I assume those meeples are about the size of the Carcassonne (board game) pieces? Looks awesome.
It depends. The standard Carcassone meeple is 16mm tall if I am not mistaken. I have meeples of all sizes, ogre sized (24mm) and even bigger (48mm). I also have all sorts of shapes such as wolves, dragons, etc. It took a bit digging to find them all and they come out a bit more expensive, but in the end I can represent all creatures.
deadPan c

Post by deadPan c »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:57 am
deadPan c wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:45 am

It depends. The standard Carcassone meeple is 16mm tall if I am not mistaken. I have meeples of all sizes, ogre sized (24mm) and even bigger (48mm). I also have all sorts of shapes such as wolves, dragons, etc. It took a bit digging to find them all and they come out a bit more expensive, but in the end I can represent all creatures.
Awesome. I didn't know you could get them in different sizes and shapes, though now thinking about it, it seems obvious. I tend to use normal miniatures but these little guys would definitely be super useful.
Any pronouns

First rolled a d20 in 2018

Absolute dice goblin. Very original, I know.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Well, my Ender3 Neo Max no doesn't work at all. It had just finished printing a piece for a student project. Now all I get is "Homing Fail". I tried a reboot, reflashing the firmware (it was already up to date), unplugging, etc...

I've only had it for less than two weeks.

If anyone here can help, that would be great. If not, well, nothing lost in trying.

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Unplug and replug all the limit switches.

Or does it not move at all when you turn it on?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
teaman

Post by teaman »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:44 pm Unplug and replug all the limit switches.

Or does it not move at all when you turn it on?
It moves, but once it reaches the center, the light on the auto level side sensor turns red (from purple) and I get the Homing Failed.

Are the limit switches the two white plugs on either side of the machine (I think I had to plug them in when I assembled it).

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try those again on Monday. The machine is at school so I can't do it on the weekends. Should I do it with the power off?

Thank you so much for the technical advice. I feel like I'm alone in the wilderness with this beast.

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The touch sensor on the head is where you're seeing the light change, right?

The controller releases the magnetic catch to allow the probe to drop as the first part of sensing the bed height; this changes the light, normally. If the light changes but the probe does not drop, the touch sensor may have failed.

With the unit powered OFF, gently push up on the tip of the probe; if it seems all the way up, give it a very gentle tug down. You should be able to push it up easily if it's down, and you should equally be able to pull it down if it's up. If it seems stuck, well, it's stuck, and that's almost certainly the problem.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
teaman

Post by teaman »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:12 am The touch sensor on the head is where you're seeing the light change, right?

The controller releases the magnetic catch to allow the probe to drop as the first part of sensing the bed height; this changes the light, normally. If the light changes but the probe does not drop, the touch sensor may have failed.

With the unit powered OFF, gently push up on the tip of the probe; if it seems all the way up, give it a very gentle tug down. You should be able to push it up easily if it's down, and you should equally be able to pull it down if it's up. If it seems stuck, well, it's stuck, and that's almost certainly the problem.
Yes, the touch sensor on the extruder head is where the light changes to red. I'll try to see if it is stuck first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you so much, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's hoping for the best. Your advice has been much better than Creality's.

teaman

Post by teaman »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:12 am The touch sensor on the head is where you're seeing the light change, right?

It worked!!!! Thanks so much, you've saved me a lot of heartache. Here's hoping it's a permanent fix.