Miniatures

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
AlMan

Re: Miniatures

Post by AlMan »

Here are the Jack O' Lanterns. I got the Pumpkin Decorations from Dollar General 6 for $1. I used two toothpicks in a small holed washer then painted them black. Today I glued them together then painted the stems a light green. Here they are before and after with some Wizkid and Bonez mini for size comparison.
Now it's time for some Castle by the Sea.
Attachments
20200613_145904.jpg
20200613_145904.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 4149 times
20200613_154856.jpg
20200613_154856.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 4149 times
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

AlMan wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:02 pm Here are the Jack O' Lanterns. I got the Pumpkin Decorations from Dollar General 6 for $1. I used two toothpicks in a small holed washer then painted them black. Today I glued them together then painted the stems a light green. Here they are before and after with some Wizkid and Bonez mini for size comparison.
Now it's time for some Castle by the Sea.
I always love when I see folks doing RPG on a budget!!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I am going to admit, I MADE A MISTAKE, when I based the minis at the beginning of June I ran out of flat black spray paint. I switched to a gloss black spray paint, that was the mistake, the gloss paint went on very thick and covered the details in the minis. Also it never fully dried. :(
I put the minis into mineral spirits and the plastic didn't melt. I've left the minis soaking in mineral spirits for a week and a half. Today I took some rags and a toothbrush and was able to clean off about a third of the minis. I filtered out the big chucks of paint then put another batch in to soak. Next Saturday I want to do another thirty percent, we'll see what happens.
teaman

Post by teaman »

AlMan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:07 pm I am going to admit, I MADE A MISTAKE, when I based the minis at the beginning of June I ran out of flat black spray paint. I switched to a gloss black spray paint, that was the mistake, the gloss paint went on very thick and covered the details in the minis. Also it never fully dried. :(
I put the minis into mineral spirits and the plastic didn't melt. I've left the minis soaking in mineral spirits for a week and a half. Today I took some rags and a toothbrush and was able to clean off about a third of the minis. I filtered out the big chucks of paint then put another batch in to soak. Next Saturday I want to do another thirty percent, we'll see what happens.
One spray paint trick is to make sure you are always at least 12 inches from what you are painting. I've had terrible luck with spray varnish bubbling acrylic paint. Just my two cents, you may already know that.

Another option is Floor Polish. Seriously, it is an acrylic finish that works as a cheap varnish.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you're going to use spray paint on minis, use the cheap stuff. Seriously. High coverage paint will build up quick and fill the details.

And follow the recoat rules on the can like God himself wrote them. Otherwise the paint may come off in sheets when you try to recoat.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I know its been almost a year since I posted any mini pics so here are my latest.

Fishmen:
Fishmen.jpg
Fishmen.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 3109 times
Fishmen and party
Fishmen and party.jpg
Fishmen and party.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3109 times
After painting them, I covered with a coat of green sparkle nail polish on the fishmen, and blue sparkle on the water so it looks wet. Looks better in real life, some of the sparkles look like dark spots in the pictures. Thinking of using them for Lacotha, Deep Ones or Fishmen.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I noticed I didn't have a picture of the bats that were with the Flying Pumpkins. Here they have their own picture. They're from Dollar General, during Halloween they had a package of 100 Bat Rings for $1. I glued them to a 3/4" fender washer and spray painted black, they were originally black, green, orange and purple. I took another batch and painted them red then took hot glue and put a long beak to make them stirges. I know they are gargantuan compared to the description, but its what I had to work with.

Stirges
Stirges.jpg
Stirges.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 3108 times
Showing beaks
Stirges beaks.jpg
Stirges beaks.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 3108 times
Bats
Bats.jpg
Bats.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 3108 times
teaman

Post by teaman »

Great work, Al. Thanks for sharing, helps keep the wheels in my own mind turning too.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

I don't really use miniatures or anything to represent my characters, but this has inspired me! This all looks very creative and vivid, great job!
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Awesome!!!! I know those bat rings well!!!
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.