Active Games for Basic Fantasy

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Rookie555

Active Games for Basic Fantasy

Post by Rookie555 »

It's sorta hard to really find a group on roll20 that is using Basic Fantasy. I'd be okay joining a group if it's a month or less. If anyone has an open game for a player just reply back and I check up to see.
BrianEye

Re: Active Games for Basic Fantasy

Post by BrianEye »

I'm giving serious consideration to running some BFRPG on Roll20. Most of my local players aren't much into BFRG, B/X and such.

I'm thinking about something on perhaps a weeknight, around 6:30 pm or so pacific time.

I've had good luck with Roll20 the last year or so with other systems, and think BFRPG would be a pretty easy system to run on the platform.
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

Ah, I understand. That's cool if you make a roll20 game and you could find me named Daniel M over there. If you have the link otherwise.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

A semi-active forum user here created a very nice character sheet on Roll20 for Basic Fantasy. Roll20 has a few quirks to work out but once you understand how it works it can be very efficient. My game went into permanent hiatus after 12 sessions because I had started using the "PUG" option. Yes, I got players, but they tended to be the kind who just want to get wasted and dick around. Nothing wrong with that if it's that kind of game, but mine was not.

Biggest concern I have with Roll20 + discord is that it's hard to really get a group focused. It's too easy to have a browser tab open to "worlds greatest cat videos" while playing. Part of that is of course DM skill for keeping players focused, but it's not always easy to keep players focused at a table. Online play tends to just be slower and this has some rollover effects.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

orobouros wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 pm A semi-active forum user here created a very nice character sheet on Roll20 for Basic Fantasy.
Thank you for the kind words. I had plans on reworking the sheet but at this point, it will have to stand as is till someone else decides to pick it up and run with it.

I had two goals when I wrote out the sheet:

1.Support core rules and as many supplements possible
2.Keep it open enough so anyone can run any style of BFRPG they wish to with as little trouble as possible.

I hope I was able to do that for everyone that uses it.
bigjawhite

Post by bigjawhite »

Anyone interested in playing online using Google Hangouts?

Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds are amazing tools. Both seem to require the investment of a lot of time for programming for which I have no desire to do.

Now, to contradict myself (slightly): any options for a shared tabletop for combat encounter maps and miniatures - other than R20 and FG?
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

I haven't had to program a single line to use Roll20. It has it's quirks, no doubt. But programming isn't a hurdle for Roll20.

TableTop GameSimulator (I have it from Steam) is fantastic. You can get tons of existing 3D model assests. Dice and character sheets are also all available. The 3D models (some at least) have walking animations when you move them around. I think you can even find character models with attack animation. But it's going to involve a LOT of setup. You know how minis are a hobby within table-top RPGs, at least for some people? Setting up stuff on TTGS is probably a job/hobby on its own.
teaman

Post by teaman »

For roll20, I need to upload maps and tokens. Also, I type in the pregens, though they have character sheets for many common games. Some of my players have programmed macros, but you don't need ANY programming to just run and play.

I've been using it for years smoothly. Plus, all your stuff is set up when you have to end a session in mid adventure.

Best of luck, whichever platform you use.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
bigjawhite

Post by bigjawhite »

Thank you orobourus and teaman.

Programming was not the right word. Set-up is.

I have no interest in entering hit points for PCs or monsters. No desire to automate anything. All I want is a platform on which to share a battle mat or map online.

Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds my only options?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

If you want to skip the map part, you could use discord and dice maiden bot or another discord bot along with uploading a filled character sheet to the discord server. You could even do static map/ picture uploads to discord also.

I've been working on a BFRPG game that is discord based but just taking an easy time at setting it up.