Introducing myself, long time GM, living Berlin, Germany

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
v1nce

Introducing myself, long time GM, living Berlin, Germany

Post by v1nce »

Hello Forum/people,

Not sure if this is common or appropriate here? An RPG forum I have been part of for ca. 15 years has a section where new forum members can introduce themselves. Hope it is ok.

My name is v1nce/Vince. Living in Berlin for 6+ years now and been GMing for almost 30 years. Played 1 or 2 sessions of AD&D 1e, but spend almost my entire "career" GMing AD&D 2e, (for 100+ persons and counting) was not a big fan of 3e and especially 4e, due to the complexity and power / feature creep mostly. Last few years hosting two dozen 5e sessions but found system too complex. Was looking into OSR for few years but while I liked many and appreciated almost all of the systems, none was close to what I wanted to play, until I found BFRPG. :)

I did the usual thing, downloaded PDFs and then was like, let me buy all the printed books I can find for about €50 to give at least a little support, should arrive in few days. A big thank you to Mr. Gonnerman for creating and especially open sourcing his system as well as keeping it so affordable, much appreciated indeed. I have always been into lower power, simpler, more roleplaying based and less combat based (and fast/simple combat at that) RPGing. Hosted and run games for people in Barcelona, Chili, Bangkok, Netherlands, Berlin and beyond. From my first session to last I have always had women in group, sometimes a majority of them, I think it is important to involve all people in the hobby, also GMed for some kids. I have never found having more feats/rules/complexity to be necessarily more fun, much less a great way to get new people to start and continue playing, the investment cost in time, learning and money can often be too great.

I intend to switch my group to BFRPG once I have spend some time really grokking the system. Also I am working on my own hack/version of it. Have played Shadowrun and GMed Fallout a few sessions.

Am very excited and have been for a few years now that RPG has become bigger, more accepted, popular, diverse and even "cooler" than it has ever been before. The OSR is a big part of that. I never dreamed any of that would happen in my lifetime, there were some years after 2e/3.5 were out and before 5e appeared, I almost despaired that it was a fast dying hobby that was becoming more like WOW or other video games (nothing wrong with those, just not a style I personally prefer for tabletop) and for very few players at that.

Anyway, I made about 1500 replies/posts on that RPG forum I still frequent, not sure if I will do that here. XD Regardless, very happy to be here and that it is a forum! and not a subreddit or FB group, here too I Prefer Old School. Besides RPG I like Punk, Ska, Skateboarding, Playing bass and guitar at Jams, Linux, Thinkpads, audiobooks, podcasts, bicycles etc.

See you around the boards,

Vince
v1nce

Re: Introducing myself, long time GM, living Berlin, Germany

Post by v1nce »

Ah,.. I only just now saw the "Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!" I can copy and paste my post above to that thread and delete this post if the mods prefer that? Either is fine by me. Sorry about that.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Nah, you're fine. Welcome!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
teaman

Post by teaman »

Welcome aboard! Also, I was glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds 5E too complicated.

Welcome to the OSR fold and BFRPG in particular. For me, it is THE premiere retrogame. There is a lot of other free stuff out there that can easily be used with BFRPG as well.

Take care!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games